Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is "The City" to you?
San Francisco 62 27.19%
New York City 87 38.16%
Boston 7 3.07%
Chicago 30 13.16%
Los Angeles 3 1.32%
Washington DC 7 3.07%
Philadelphia 10 4.39%
San Diego 0 0%
Seattle 7 3.07%
Atlanta 15 6.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Since I live in the Bay Area obviously it refers to SF. To me "San Francisco" is just too damn long of a name to say lol. So I prefer to say "The City" or "SF" and despite SF being a pretentious place I don't think that term is really pretentious at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah I'm aware of that, I just always thought it was pretentious for multiple factors, that it is capitalized, and that it shares a state with a significantly larger metro . I remember reading SF Chronicle articles using it and was like wow...really? It is somewhat pretentious in NYC, but at least their city really is a few times larger than every other city and has been known as the capital of the world, as well as having "city" in the actual name of the place whether by being New York City or City of New York and had to do that for practical matters to distinguish it in nomenclature from New York State.
What does LA being a larger "metro" have to do with anything?

SF's built environment is pretty much different than anything around it in it's metro and fairly isolated similar to Manhattan, LA not so much at all.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
If you are going to "The City," where are you going?

San Francisco
New York City
Chicago
Boston
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Philadelphia
San Diego
Seattle
Atlanta
So Miami, Houston, and Dallas are.....?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
that may be the case regionally but in the national context there is only one answer

no one outside of the region would make that association whereas many people all over the country would make the association with NYC this is the difference. it works locally not nationally for many places
I don't really think that at all. Why on earth would someone in Missouri, Oregon, etc..refer to NYC as "the City"? I think the term "the City" is only used in a regional context anywhere, even for NYC.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:25 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
In Atlanta the "city" is referred to anything ITP or (Inside the Perimeter). This is generally (not always) within Fulton county. Anything not considered the city is OTP (Outside The Perimeter). This refers to I-285 being a big loop, and going to areas inside or outside of it. Of course Atlanta breaks it down further with ITP North, ITP South, ITP East, and ITP West.

North Atlanta being more of Buckhead, East Atlanta being Grisham Road, West Atlanta being the "West side", and South Atlanta being "South West ATL" or the SWATS. All are considered ITP regions.

OTP areas are vast though, could spend paragraphs going into all of the OTP areas.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't really think that at all. Why on earth would someone in Missouri, Oregon, etc..refer to NYC as "the City"? I think the term "the City" is only used in a regional context anywhere, even for NYC.

There is a name association map I saw recently and NYC was considered the city more frequently than any other place where there is no direct regional association. Need to dig it up. It was the only city to achieve any broader non regional association in this context

Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,146 times
In DFW, if someone's going to the city, then they're going to Dallas. I guess that would regional.

Nationally? No city. Because no one from where I grew up calls NYC "The City". If they are going to New York, they say New York, Big Apple, NYC, etc. San Francisco is San Francisco, SF, the Bay Area. Boston is Boston, Philadelphia is Philly. There is no "The City".

Old 07-02-2013, 12:37 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
The closest anyone would come to saying "The City" on a national scale is saying they're going to the "Big City". Which kind of implies NYC. Though this is regional as well. If you're in Washington, "Big city" would mean Seattle. If you're in GA the "big city" would be Atlanta. In the midwest it would be Chicago.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Sooo pretentious LOL.......

from: http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1311830276

Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So Miami, Houston, and Dallas are.....?
Don't think he meant it as a shot against these cities. It's just that do people in whatever region call Houston the city when they are going to visit it or going into the city to do something. I have family in the Miami area in what is now Miami Gardens and when people wanted to go to the actual city, they never called Miami the city. I don't think it is said in Texas that much as well. Maybe in the DFW area, I could see. The first time I heard this is when I was in the West burbs in Chicago and they said they going Out West or to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City