Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs Philly
Boston 37 50.68%
Philly 36 49.32%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:34 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If there are more commercial corridors and areas of high pedestrian traffic in West Philly, then it's going to be less sleepy. Period.

And you never answered my question. How many years have you lived in Cambridge specifically?

Feel free to lecture me on Tewksbury, Saugus, Framingham and Milton though...
Why would I lecture you on any of those towns? Do you wanna lecture me about some lame south eastern PA or South Jersey places? You really have a hard time connecting thoughts, my friend. Pick a point and stick to it. Unless it's a bad one. Then just give up.

And no, more commercial corridors doesn't necessarily mean more pedestrian traffic if the demand for those businesses isn't there, or if they're just bland. I'm not commenting about Philly, I'm just pointing out a flaw in that logic.

And the ad hominem fallacy! My favorite. How does living in Cambridge or not have ANY impact on whether or not there are things to do in Cambridge? I have only lived in Boston. Now I expect you to NEVER SAY ANYTHING about the neighborhood I live in. Because you just don't understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Why would I lecture you on any of those towns? Do you wanna lecture me about some lame south eastern PA or South Jersey places? You really have a hard time connecting thoughts, my friend. Pick a point and stick to it. Unless it's a bad one. Then just give up.

And no, more commercial corridors doesn't necessarily mean more pedestrian traffic if the demand for those businesses isn't there, or if they're just bland. I'm not commenting about Philly, I'm just pointing out a flaw in that logic.

And the ad hominem fallacy! My favorite. How does living in Cambridge or not have ANY impact on whether or not there are things to do in Cambridge? I have only lived in Boston. Now I expect you to NEVER SAY ANYTHING about the neighborhood I live in. Because you just don't understand it.
Cambridge has one main commercial corridor (Mass Ave). The rest of it is quiet little residential streets...far quieter than WP's residential streets. I can speak with AUTHORITY on the topic because I lived on Cambridge's quiet residential streets. LOL.

I wasn't even talking about "things to do." I was talking strictly about pedestrian activity.

So again, how long did you live in Cambridge?

Old 03-07-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Cambridge has one main commercial corridor (Mass Ave). The rest of it is quiet little residential streets...far quieter than WP's residential streets. I can speak with AUTHORITY on the topic because I lived on Cambridge's quiet residential streets. LOL.

I wasn't even talking about "things to do." I was talking strictly about pedestrian activity.

So again, how long did you live in Cambridge?
I'm talking to someone who can't read. Try going back to the previous thing I posted.

I'm surprised you didn't like living in Cambridge though. Usually pretentious people love it there.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
And again, what other destinations are there off of Mass Ave?
This is pedestrian activity?

Sounds like stuff to do to me.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I'm talking to someone who can't read. Try going back to the previous thing I posted.
LOL. My observation is not theoretical. I am telling you that West Philly is busier than Cambridge because it has more commercial corridors along with more commercial mixed in (bodegas, cornerstores, etc.). I don't have to rely on theory because I know the reality. You're just making a stupid argument because you really have nothing to add here. You clearly don't know Cambridge as well as I do. And I'm sure you don't know much about West Philly either.

Quote:
I'm surprised you didn't like living in Cambridge though. Usually pretentious people love it there.
Where did I say I didn't like it?

Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
Quote:
Believe it. Dorchester. Columbia Ave. Best soul food I've had in life that wasn't in somebody's house.
Mrs. Jones in Lower Mills Dorchester is damn good.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:55 PM

There are some good shots of 52nd Street here.

Cassidy - I'm A Hustla - YouTube

Old 03-07-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
LOL. My observation is not theoretical. I am telling you that West Philly is busier than Cambridge because it has more commercial corridors along with more commercial mixed in (bodegas, cornerstores, etc.). I don't have to rely on theory because I know the reality. You're just making a stupid argument because you really have nothing to add here. You clearly don't know Cambridge as well as I do. And I'm sure you don't know much about West Philly either.

Where did I say I didn't like it?
At least I'm coherant. I don't even know what you're talking about. The quote about you not being able to read was to show that in the previous post I said I've only lived in Boston, and not Cambridge. You really need to pay a little more attention. You are all over the place here. I think this whole back and fourth has really been lost on you.

It's also kinda a stupid comparison you're making. West Philly is twice the physical size of Cambridge. It would make more sense to compare Cambridge/Somerville to West Philadelphia. But don't let that get in the way of your smugness.

Also, you'll notice I hadn't said anything about Philly until just now. I never said Cambridge is "busier." I'm not relying on theory, because I seriously don't care at all about West Philadelphia. Maybe it's super "busy." I don't care. All I'm saying is that you were seeming to act like Cambridge just didn't have a lot going on, ("sleepy") and that Mass Ave was it, as if Mass Ave weren't a pretty big road with a lot of noteworthy things on it.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
There are some good shots of 52nd Street here.

Cassidy - I'm A Hustla - YouTube
God that song was insufferable.

Must have missed the "good shots" too. But I did see some tax service companies and a dude wearing a Boston Red Sox hat at 02:37.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
At least I'm coherant.
No, you're not. And it's coherent. Your argument was basically:

"BY, your argument is flawed because commercial corridors don't mean that there are necessarily pedestrians."

This was a stupid response because you acted if my comment was based on the theoretical. It may not be true that all places with more commercial areas are busier than places without them, but it's certainly true in this case. And that's all that really matters. I was making observations about two cities I've lived in longer than anywhere else.

Quote:
The quote about you not being able to read was to show that in the previous post I said I've only lived in Boston, and not Cambridge.
I missed that. It only took me asking three times to get a response.

Quote:
It's also kinda a stupid comparison you're making. West Philly is twice the physical size of Cambridge. It would make more sense to compare Cambridge/Somerville to West Philadelphia. But don't let that get in the way of your smugness.
I'm not the one who made the comparison. Another poster did. I just made observations about both because I've lived in both. And the point of your comments is what exactly? If you have no basis for comparing the two, then why are you even in this thread?

Quote:
Also, you'll notice I hadn't said anything about Philly until just now. I never said Cambridge is "busier." I'm not relying on theory, because I seriously don't care at all about West Philadelphia. Maybe it's super "busy." I don't care. All I'm saying is that you were seeming to act like Cambridge just didn't have a lot going on, ("sleepy") and that Mass Ave was it, as if Mass Ave weren't a pretty big road with a lot of noteworthy things on it.
Do you realize that I have been talking about pedestrian activity all of this time? I'm not comparing different bars like Red Line, Grafton Street, Hong Kong, John Harvard's, etc. to places in West Philly. I'm talking strictly about the "busyness" of the pedestrian scene throughout both places. And in that regard, Cambridge is sleepy compared to West Philly. Cambridge is quiet, quaint and charming; West Philly is loud, rough and tumble. Anybody who thinks otherwise needs to (a) experience more of Cambridge away from Massachusetts Avenue and (b) explore more of West Philly beyond the immediate environs of Penn's campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City