Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city holds the most promise and best overall attributes?
Charlotte 54 18.24%
Portland 53 17.91%
San Antonio 14 4.73%
Orlando 13 4.39%
Sacramento 12 4.05%
Cincinnati 16 5.41%
Cleveland 18 6.08%
Kansas City 16 5.41%
Las Vegas 7 2.36%
Columbus 8 2.70%
Indianapolis 16 5.41%
San Jose 11 3.72%
Austin 30 10.14%
Nashville 28 9.46%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times

Advertisements

My favorites out of the ones I've been to on this list (in order) are:

1. Las Vegas
2. San Jose
3. San Antonio
4. Portland
5. Orlando
6. Charlotte
7. Kansas City
8. Nashville
9. Cincinnati
10. Columbus
11. Cleveland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So far Portland is winning this poll. I'm not overly famiar with Porand. It was always the secong biggest coastal city in the northwest to me. I have seen pictures and it is gorgeous! Anyone care to chime in on what makes Portland so special?
I was very impressed when I visited Portland. I had high expectations but was not disappointed at all. The city has a strong urban vibe, beautiful natural surroundings, excellent transit infrastructure, major focus on sustainability (LEED buildings, green technology), and amazing food. Given my interests, the unending food truck options and excellent transit was paradise on earth.

That said, I don't think I'd want to live there. Well, I wouldn't mind but there are many other places above it on my list. From what I understand, employment numbers don't match its popularity...people would rather move there and be un/under-employed because of the lifestyle. Also, despite the fantastic culinary delights of the food trucks (and quality restaurants as a result of the competition) it lags far behind the rest of the PNW in Asian cuisine, which is very important to me.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:08 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,112,570 times
Charlotte is a CSA not MSA therefore I wouldn't put it ahead of a handful of those cities. It is an important city but it is smaller than Portland, San Antonio, Cincinnati, Cleveland etc.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:29 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Charlotte is a CSA not MSA therefore I wouldn't put it ahead of a handful of those cities. It is an important city but it is smaller than Portland, San Antonio, Cincinnati, Cleveland etc.
Wrong. In this list Chaotte is the largest MSA at 2.2 million. The CSA of Charlotte is 2.4 million.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Portland wins this. If you are 18-29 there are few cities that are more preferable than it.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
You're probably thinking about Raleigh. The Raleigh-Chapel Hill-Durham CSA is significantly larger than the individual MSAs.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Huh? In order for a city to have a CSA, it has to already have an MSA. Charlotte's MSA population is currently 2.3 million, larger than all of those cities you mentioned.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,408 times
which city does the best for its size? Portland, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Austin
Which has the most diverse economy? Austin and Charlotte
The best economic future? Austin and Charlotte
The best skyline? Cincinnati, Austin, Charlotte
Which is the most underrated? Charlotte gets quite a bashing on here. Nashville, Cleveland, Kansas City

Old 07-21-2013, 11:27 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Nobody moves here to be near Frisco. They could pay less and be a lot closer.
Like where? The Peninsula is just as high and in most cases higher than San Jose in home values so it can't be there. Locations along the east bay are comparable to San Jose. Marin County is much more expensive than San Jose. Where is this phantom location of cheaper housing that's "A Lot" closer to San Francisco than San Jose?

You have to go into Tracy, Pittsburg or northern Sonoma County to experience cheaper housing and those locations are at equal or further distance away.

San Jose shouldn't be in this poll. All other cities are anchor cities in their CSA's. San Jose is not!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
You're probably thinking about Raleigh. The Raleigh-Chapel Hill-Durham CSA is significantly larger than the individual MSAs.
That could be.
The Triangle was sitting almost spot on 2 million in its CSA in 2012. The Raleigh + Durham MSAs combined were over 1.7 million with nearly a million coming from Wake Co (Raleigh) alone. The rest comes from adjacent micropolitan areas. The Triangle is definitely one of the areas that suffers from being seen as two parts instead of one whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City