Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better (overall)?
St. Louis 133 42.90%
Kansas City 177 57.10%
Voters: 310. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 05:33 PM

396 posts, read 653,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Okay, cool. You do seem to know this stuff pretty well, so sorry if I jumped to conclusions. It's amazing how many people don't know even the basics of office space terminology ie, class, spec etc. I agree with everything you said. That's a pretty good overview of both cities.
You are fine, hope i did not over compensate on the answer.

worked for the StL office of a KC based A&E firm for 8 years would get called in a couple times a year to consult on jobs that had both architectural and urban planning/design component.

If I was going to be working there, I made it my goal to try to understand KC from a design and cultural aspect, I was fortunate to have friends from college who were from KC all over town, from south JoCo to the Valentine neighborhood to Liberty. I read the AIA guide to KC, the Nichols story, the background on the Jazz scene and spent hours driving around neighborhoods and going to bars and parties with my friends.

Grew to really love the city, but StL will always be home, need to get back - been about 4 years since my last trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:10 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Merill View Post
I googled "downtown saint Louis population" and the downtownstl.org website came up first.
I saw it there.

http://www.downtownstl.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/DowntownSTL_2014_Annual_Report_FINAL.pdf
(page 4)

So you looked up the numbers and picked the one that you felt would best prove your point and not the actual greater downtown number. But *I* lack credibility

You can't even quote me correctly; I never claimed said "KC has the best arts scene in the midwest."
Your credibility is now completely lost. Here's what I said:

Went by memory. Did not quote. Sorry if I remembered incorrectly. I'm imperfect.

That link is a only one study written by 4 people that "ranks" cities based on the total contributions to the arts by both private and Govt/state per capita. It does not say that STL has better art than KC. Did you even bother to read it yourself? Your credibility is now gone so I'm not going to waste time responding to your other "points."
Yeah. Read it. This is the actual metric used

To assess arts vibrancy across America, we incorporate four measures each under three main rubrics: demand, supply
and public support for arts and culture on a per capita basis. Demand was gauged by measures of total nonprofit arts
dollars in the community, supply as total arts providers, and public support as state and federal arts funding. We use
multiple measures since vibrancy can manifest in many ways. One might criticize our measures of vibrancy because
they say nothing about artistic quality, or the multitude of community conditions that make a place ripe for creative
activity, or data on who participates in the arts, or the revenues and expenses of commercial entertainment. Might
additional measures be added in the future? Certainly. For now, we believe the metrics used in this report represent a
solid start using the most reliable sources of data available on a nationwide scale.

Feel free to find a more perfect study. I would not be offended, not that you would care either way. I didn't do an extensive search and didn't claim to.

I'm done now. 2 great cities. I love mine.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trafford View Post
You are fine, hope i did not over compensate on the answer.

worked for the StL office of a KC based A&E firm for 8 years would get called in a couple times a year to consult on jobs that had both architectural and urban planning/design component.

If I was going to be working there, I made it my goal to try to understand KC from a design and cultural aspect, I was fortunate to have friends from college who were from KC all over town, from south JoCo to the Valentine neighborhood to Liberty. I read the AIA guide to KC, the Nichols story, the background on the Jazz scene and spent hours driving around neighborhoods and going to bars and parties with my friends.

Grew to really love the city, but StL will always be home, need to get back - been about 4 years since my last trip.
Cool. Sounds very similar to how I started figuring out StL. It's so silly to live in either city and be clueless about the other. Both are pretty neat cities.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:48 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I want STL to win this as I think its history and architecture is superior, and it also bigger...but the fact is KC is just a much nicer city all around. STL just has too many hurdles to overcome...
Ditto! St.Louis is great but to live KC just has more going for it currently.Its bee years since Ive been to either but even then I could see how K.C. was doing slightly better,Now I hear its booming.

I also prefer St.Louis architectural gems but I also like the layout of KC and Boulevards

Old 04-11-2016, 08:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
I admit I did think it'd be a bit more evenly matched in terms of votes. Kansas City is doing very, very well. But then again I'm not very surprised. It could do much better, but overall it's a wonderful place to live.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:10 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,737 times
nightlife - easily STL; second biggest Mardi Gras in the country, one of the beer capitals, Ballpark Village, etc. not even a competition

living - up for debate

metro area - not sure what this criterion even means, but STL is substantially bigger

attractions - once again, not even a contest; STL has a nationally renowned art museum and zoo, both of which are free, not to mention the Arch, STL sports, Lewis & Clark ****, The Loop, etc.

education - Washu, two of the top 25 private college prep schools in the country, along with several nationally ranked public school districts make STL pull way ahead of kc

skyline - does kc even have a skyline?

Old 04-12-2016, 12:21 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
nightlife - easily STL; second biggest Mardi Gras in the country, one of the beer capitals, Ballpark Village, etc. not even a competition

living - up for debate

metro area - not sure what this criterion even means, but STL is substantially bigger

attractions - once again, not even a contest; STL has a nationally renowned art museum and zoo, both of which are free, not to mention the Arch, STL sports, Lewis & Clark ****, The Loop, etc.

education - Washu, two of the top 25 private college prep schools in the country, along with several nationally ranked public school districts make STL pull way ahead of kc

Yeh you are right about attractions,That Westward Expanson Musem is amazing!I loved it.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:24 AM

404 posts, read 456,928 times
Quote:

living - up for debate

What a ridiculous post. You sound extremely ignorant of KC and are making stl people look stupid.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:58 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,799 times
Quote:

living - up for debate

Have you been to KC? It doesn't sound like it. I mean, I voted for STL too but KC is a lot more than you think it is.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:02 AM

638 posts, read 623,692 times
Quote:

living - up for debate

Kansas City has a better skyline than St Louis. A random structure like the arch does not make your skyline better.

Kansas City

http://www.corporatecleaninggroup.co...kansascity.jpg

St. Louis

http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...on-holiday.jpg

The arch is nice, but buildings make a skyline, not art structures.

As for "STL sports" what do you guys do better? St Louis has no NFL, and Kansas City has better baseball.
Typical STL elitism, wrong and stuck in the past. This isn't 1999

Last edited by Moboy32; 04-12-2016 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City