Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Washington, D.C. 67 58.77%
Baltimore 47 41.23%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
So your backing him means you agree with that ridiculous classification?
It wasn't a ridiculous classification. You used the words "no one" which he didn't use. There's a difference between "no one" and "some," right? His exact words were...

Quote:
Way too much of DC's nightlife is work-oriented and centered around networking
How do you get "no one" out of "way too much?" Man, you guys are something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Probably a great time to mention DC seemed a bit uptight to me.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Depends on your annual salary. If I made well over $300K a year, DC would be my choice. I could then afford to own a small 1-2 condo, pay ridiculous prices for meals, concerts, sporting events, parking...you name it - things in DC are more expensive.

Baltimore actually gives people making less than six figures the chance to own a home.

Both cities have issues with rats, public schools and traffic. DC's traffic is worse, but Baltimore wins on crime. DC has a higher HIV/AIDS population, but Baltimore has more people living below poverty.

I live in Baltimore and absolutely love it. It has more of a city feeling...like Chicago and Boston. People will talk to you in a bar, might even buy you a round of Natty Boh! DC is just too arrogant and stuffy for my tastes. Obviously, this question gets raised every other month usually by a DC writer.....I truly believe it is hype to keep DC residents feeling like they are superior. Especially since they paid at least three to five times more to live in the District.
Baltimore has a very high HIV/AIDS population as well. And both cities and their respective metro areas got crazy drivers but yeah traffic can be a menace around here. Second only to L.A. Go figure lol

Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Baltimore should have a better club music scene. That's like me saying that DC has a better go-go scene. LOL Baltimore's nightlife is weak compared to DC's on so many levels that it is not worth comparing. But it does have some cool a$$ bars.
+2 This! As far as I know, Baltimore's nightlife areas are Charles Village, Hampden, Fells Point, Harbor East, Little Italy (I think), Canton, and a couple of others.

In DC, there's H Street NE/Atlas District, Cardozo/Shaw, U Street, Dupont Circle, Chinatown/Gallery Place, K Street, Georgetown, Capitol Hill, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, 14th Street, Connecticut Avenue, Cleveland Park, Woodley Park, Ivy City/Near Northeast/New York Avenue (Mega-Clubs), Logan Circle, and Penn Quarter. The arrival of CityCenterDC once it's completed and mostly leased out to commercial and residential spaces will definitely another element to the already booming Downtown nightlife scene. Then you have nightlife options out here in some of the DMV suburbs such as Old Town Alexandria, Clarendon, Ballston, Courthouse, Frederick (Maryland), Downtown Leesburg, Downtown Fredericksburg, Downtown Silver Spring (Especially around Georgia Ave), Bethesda, Rockville Town Center, National Harbor, University Town Center, Downtown Hyattsville, Takoma Park, and parts of Route 1. My criteria for nightlife are dance/music clubs, mega-clubs, lounges, bars (late-night/after-hours/watering holes), restaurants (late-night/hole-in-the-wall/street food-style, etc.), pubs/taverns, etc.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I choose DC because it is an Alpha-World City and just offers more in terms of things to do. It has better food and perhaps greater scenery with the Potomac, nearby swamps and the Tidal Basin when the cherry blossoms bloom. Both are nice cities but can't compare. BUT I agree that the DC lifestyle is not for me-too busy and rushed. Everyone lives to work. Been there, done that.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:32 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
DC.

I went last summer, I notice international students and ones from the US all start their trip in DC and then go to NYC and some finish in Boston while others just go back home. DC and NYC are a great combo pack trip IMO, I have done the two together too.

I like DC, its a great town with a cool vibe IMO. One of the few cities I could live in if I was forced to leave CA. I look at DC as a peer city to San Francisco, Toronto, and Chicago IMO that's where it belongs. These are NA's elite second tier cities after NY, LA, and DF IMO.

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-07-2013 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: IM

Old 08-07-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
so your backing him means you agree with that ridiculous classification?
+1

Last edited by tcave360; 08-07-2013 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Way too much of DC's nightlife is work-oriented and centered around networking.
That stuff exists, but it's hardly anything close to much of DC's nightlife. There a couple of big networking spots, but the heart of DC's nightlife has nothing to do with that.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,654,979 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
That stuff exists, but it's hardly anything close to much of DC's nightlife. There a couple of big networking spots, but the heart of DC's nightlife has nothing to do with that.
Pretty much alot of DC has nothing to do with politics

Old 08-15-2013, 10:25 AM

354 posts, read 784,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Pretty much alot of DC has nothing to do with politics
this..

i wonder where these people that say this bout dc hang out at but i realize this is city-data so most people commenting are probly sitting at their government desk doin nothing and their only freinds or peers they know are government employees who arent from here and dont know anything..

im born and raised here and politics or occupation is never EVER the topic of discussion when im at the bar/lounge/clubs

and no matter how many yuppies move into the city the local (black) culture is still strong and prevalent throughout the area.. and to whoever said baltimore has more style than DC is simply laughable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City