Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better for a gay male?
DC 25 32.89%
Chicago 51 67.11%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Is this gay enough?

mattycohen

chicagomag

the permanent street signs are done in rainbow... it's a very established gay area, and there are gayborhood areas also, anywhere in the city is gay friendly, and there are leather/transexual/bear bars also if that is your thing.
Yeah, but how of that is simply because . . . Chicago is the largest and most vibrant city in the midwest, therefore is going to of course be the greatest magnet. Question is: How much do gay elements spread through the general populace to all corners of the city and/or beyond??

I'm not the least gay myself, however I do look to stereotypically gay style and grooming choices and good choices for a straight guy like myself to keep an open mind try out when I go shopping, (IE: I would let the ***** eye for straight guy make me and my place over).

So, I would care more about how much is it difficult to tell apart gay and straight across a city, rather than an actual gay neighborhood, which I would have no use for.

And in that respect Chicago is a little more culturally gender-traditional taken as an AVERAGE. Heck, even Jersey Shore, which most people think are macho meatheads have clearly taken to primping themselves up - (obviously rediculously overdoing it) but Chicago/land natives really have no counterpart to that anywhere, although you do see some at suburban malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
There are plenty of waxed, shaved, pretty-boy types all over the Chicago area, but I would never take that phenomenon, nor the tanned meathead phenomenon, to speak anything about gay culture or how accepting people are.

My partner and I have lived here for over a year now, and we have found Chicago to be great for gay couples and same-sex households. There are many gay-oriented neighborhoods, but there are many mixed neighborhoods, too, that are great. My impression is that the size of the culture here is larger and more vibrant than what you will find in DC.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:05 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
There are plenty of waxed, shaved, pretty-boy types all over the Chicago area, but I would never take that phenomenon, nor the tanned meathead phenomenon, to speak anything about gay culture or how accepting people are.

My partner and I have lived here for over a year now, and we have found Chicago to be great for gay couples and same-sex households. There are many gay-oriented neighborhoods, but there are many mixed neighborhoods, too, that are great. My impression is that the size of the culture here is larger and more vibrant than what you will find in DC.
Well, whatever . . . all I know is that pretty boy fashion and grooming has gotten my sexual orientation questioned in Chicagoland, where I really haven't gotten that out here in SoCal.

Although I wouldn't know about DC - I just figure that the more hard core sports crazed a city is - the more overall the gender roles are going to be more clearly defined by the general population. And DC is not as sports crazed as Chicago, Philly, Boston, etc.

But I guess thats off topic anyways so I digress.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Default gay life in Chicago.

I've lived in Chicago for 5 years and don't live in a gayborhood and don't have any problems with homophobia.

Otoh, I've heard many say the same about Cleveland and St. Louis. We've come a long way over 5 years with gay acceptance.

You can't deny the midwestern culture that is Chicago in everyway. When Chicago deny it's local culture, I laugh!

I voted for DC because the community seems less racially divided. DC is very transient, educated and affluent because of the government. People live in that area from all over the place so you don't have as much of a localized culture as Chicago.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,342 times
they both are pretty gay. idk they both suck

Old 08-19-2013, 01:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's obviously DC. They have gay marriage legalized there while Chicago does not. That's a huge advantage for a gay person deciding upon which city to move to. DC is also a more liberal city and less racist city compared to Chicago.
Many, but not all. I know several gay individuals who have no plans on getting married, so the issue is mostly of no real consequence to them.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
As a gay visitor to both cities, I found myself enjoying Chicago's gay scene way more than DC's. The people seemed friendlier, and I thought Boy's Town beat the Dupont Circle area in terms of gay vibrancy/ scene-iness (is that a word?). However, both places seemed quite gay friendly.

At the end of the day, I'd probably make a choice based on my career and future aspirations, not on which city has the best gay bars. But I was very pleasantly taken by Chicago. And you can't go wrong with either place as it relates to "gayness".

Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
As a gay visitor to both cities, I found myself enjoying Chicago's gay scene way more than DC's. The people seemed friendlier, and I thought Boy's Town beat the Dupont Circle area in terms of gay vibrancy/ scene-iness (is that a word?). However, both places seemed quite gay friendly.
What about Logan's Circle?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
What about Logan's Circle?
To be honest I have no idea if I visited Logan's Circle. Is it near Dupont?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
To be honest I have no idea if I visited Logan's Circle. Is it near Dupont?
Maybe about a mile away. The center of the gay community has definitely shifted east over the years. I'd say Logan's Circle is probably more important than Dupont Circle at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City