Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better for a gay male?
DC 25 32.89%
Chicago 51 67.11%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,636 times

Advertisements

I'm a single gay male who has lived in DC for several years now - I like it but I'm not sure I *love* it. Early next year I'll have the option of moving to Chicago for work, and I want to get the perspective of others who've lived there or in both places. I'm more familiar with DC, but I've been to Chicago several times as a visitor. If you were me, which one would you choose? Note: not looking for ridiculously biased opinions such as "DC sucks because it's so douchey" or "Chicago sucks because it's so cold and in the midwest". I have a good understanding of what both places are like at a basic level - I'm looking for a more informed opinion...

My perspective on DC-
Pros: Physically attractive city, lots of highly motivated and very smart people, lots of gays, easy to get around (I live in the city), close to other fun places in the NE US, lots of development... on the up-and-up, personal: I have several very close friends here
Cons: Overpriced, smallish (I feel like I run into the same people all the time), elitist attitude, I feel like people are always moving away , hard to really get to know people

My perspective on Chicago-
Pros: Big city with great architecture, cheaper than DC, a good mix of all types of people (aka not elitist), more laid back, the beaches in the summer are awesome, potentially more diverse (not sure?)
Cons: Bad crime and maybe on a downswing overall?, bad location in the US, cold and depressing in the winter.

Wild card #1: Although I could move to Chicago for work, I would *probably* be better off at my company if I stayed in DC. Your life is more important than your career though, right? Worth noting though.
Wild card #2: I have very close friends in DC, and really no friends to speak of in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 08:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
It's obviously DC. They have gay marriage legalized there while Chicago does not. That's a huge advantage for a gay person deciding upon which city to move to. DC is also a more liberal city and less racist city compared to Chicago.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:34 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
I say move to Chicago for the change of scenery and life experience. You seem mature and resourceful enough to settle in relatively easy and make friends without difficulty.

In my experience(gay male in my 30s), DC and Chicago both have very attractive and eligible men, but I found myself way more attracted to the men in Chicago. I cant quite explain it, maybe it's because they didnt seem as pretentious and self absorbed as men on the coast, perhaps it's a midwest thing? I dunno.

Anyway, whatever you choose I'm sure you'll do well.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyfornew1 View Post
My perspective on Chicago-
Pros: Big city with great architecture, cheaper than DC, a good mix of all types of people (aka not elitist), more laid back, the beaches in the summer are awesome, potentially more diverse (not sure?)
Cons: Bad crime and maybe on a downswing overall?, bad location in the US, cold and depressing in the winter.
Let's get one thing straight here: DC's violent crime rate is way worse than Chicago's. You can look up the stats on this very site. Take all the media hype about Chicago crime with a grain of salt.

And, the vast, vast majority of the violent crime in Chicago occurs in a few bad parts of town that will be very easy for you to avoid should you decide to move here.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's obviously DC. They have gay marriage legalized there while Chicago does not. That's a huge advantage for a gay person deciding upon which city to move to. DC is also a more liberal city and less racist city compared to Chicago.
Illinois is very close to legalizing gay marriage. I predict it will happen before the end of the year.

Both Chicago and DC are among the top places for gays to live in this country.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Illinois is very close to legalizing gay marriage. I predict it will happen before the end of the year.
Sure, whatever you say.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Sure, whatever you say.
The poster is pretty accurate. It had passed the IL senate last legislative session and had full support of the governor. It was stalled in the house at its last point.

Illinois has also had civil unions for same-sex couples for years.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 AM

8,630 posts, read 10,148,927 times
I like both places, but I think I would personally pick DC. I'm from Chicago (family still there) and I get still get a strange vibe from places like Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland when it comes to gay acceptance.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
D.C. is extremely gay

Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Sure, whatever you say.
He is actually right, its probably will happen in the next couple of months...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City