Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Canada 98 36.98%
United States 167 63.02%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 04:38 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan2 View Post
And you know this for a fact? I guess you've spoken to every single American have you?

Talk about lack of intelligence!
I'm team Canada on this one. You guys got my vote, but I have to agree with manitopiaaa on the weather. Washington state is generally considered to have gloomy, depressing weather. Obviously not every single person feels this way though. With 300 million+ people, there's bound to be some that do actually enjoy the weather there. Some people even enjoy cold weather.

But in a very general sense, I'm willing to back Manitopiaaa on those claims that the typical American's idea of perfect weather would be the places (s)he named or just the hotter climates in general where it is basically Spring/Summer all the time, but probably minus the extremes like Florida, Vegas, Phoenix, etc.
it's part of the reason why the sunbelt is booming in The USA right now while many Northern cities are seeing the opposite. Even just the Northeast US is considered to be on the extreme side of cold winter weather, which probably would be more mild in the Canadian context. There are worse places in The US though, like Alaska or Minnesota, but I mean in a general context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 04:47 PM

266 posts, read 276,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I'm team Canada on this one. You guys got my vote, but I have to agree with manitopiaaa on the weather. Washington state is generally considered to have gloomy, depressing weather.
Wrong. We're not talking about Washington State. We're talking about Victoria, which does not have gloomy, depressing weather.

Quote:
I'm willing to back Manitopiaaa on those claims that the typical American's idea of perfect weather would be the places (s)he named or just the hotter climates in general where it is basically Spring/Summer all the time, but probably minus the extremes like Florida, Vegas, Phoenix, etc.
Who cares what the "typical American's idea of perfect weather" is? We're not talking about the "typical American". I don't care what Americans think.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:58 PM

150 posts, read 215,077 times
If I were wealthy I would choose America, easily.

But I'm not so I choose Canada.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Wrong. We're not talking about Washington State. We're talking about Victoria, which does not have gloomy, depressing weather.

Who cares what the "typical American's idea of perfect weather" is? We're not talking about the "typical American". I don't care what Americans think.
I believe the context of the discussion was the American idea of good weather vs the Canadian one. I gave Canada credit where it's due and even gave it my vote despite the fact that I live in The US and probably won't be leaving it. But I also have to give the USA credit it deserves as well and I think when it comes to the topic of weather then it's undeniably in USA's favor IMO.

I get that everyone has different opinions though. But generally speaking warmer + sunnier weather is much more desirable than cold weather

Old 06-11-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotKrisps View Post
I prefer preferences of Canadian weather preferences over that of US weather preferences cuz they tend to be more preferrable as a matter of preference, and so I prefer Canadian weather, preferrably summer & winter, my preferred seasons. But I must admit I'm quite preferential in the preferences I prefer.
Yes. This.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:48 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
Based upon the trajectory of global warming Canada will be a highly dersiable place to live in the coming decades. Especially the Northern Territories and around lakes.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:29 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,818 times
Aside from climate diversity and career prospects, there are few advantages the United States has over Canada.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:32 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,818 times
Canadian society is more pragmatic.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:23 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,878 times
USA. Because it has more diversity in cities, landscapes, and cultures. The biggest factor is weather. If Canada was warmer, maybe.

You have to filter out the politics and choose a city that is liberal or conservative or to your liking.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:02 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times
Quote:
I've been to Victoria BC on two occasions, once during the summer and once during the spring season. It's got a wonderful downtown core with some beautiful historic buildings, public gardens, and a growing number of more modern construction (due to the much lower cost of living compared with neighboring Vancouver). It's definitely worth a visit, but yes, a lot more pleasant during the summer months.

Victoria on a sunny day:

SHARP 2017: Technologies of the Book

Gloomy day:

http://larrysagers.com/wp-content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City