Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better for me?
Chicago 30 51.72%
Seattle 28 48.28%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 AM

517 posts, read 678,192 times

Advertisements

Seattle is much more vibrant in terms of economy and growth. Very outdoors-oriented.

Chicago is a much bigger city, with a more central location. Very neighborhood-oriented.

Both are good, but I would go with Seattle if I were in your situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 AM

517 posts, read 678,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullocity View Post
Also you obviously don't know why population decreased in Chicago, nothing to do with desirability. It's the poor that are leaving in drovs because the city is gentrifying. That's the reason.
That's most definitely not the reason Chicago's population is declining.

Chicago population decline is almost all in the South and West Sides, which are the parts of Chicago that aren't gentrifying. Gentrification has nothing to do with population loss in Chicago.

And, the poverty rates in the South and West Sides actually rose in the last decade. In other words, the people leaving the South and West Sides of Chicago are the working and middle class, while the poor are staying.

Gentrification leads to population gains, not population losses. The cities with more gentrification than Chicago (NYC, DC, Boston, SF, etc.) are all growing.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM

151 posts, read 162,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post

Chicago population decline is almost all in the South and West Sides, which are the parts of Chicago that aren't gentrifying. Gentrification has nothing to do with population loss in Chicago.

And, the poverty rates in the South and West Sides actually rose in the last decade. In other words, the people leaving the South and West Sides of Chicago are the working and middle class, while the poor are staying.

Gentrification leads to population gains, not population losses. The cities with more gentrification than Chicago (NYC, DC, Boston, SF, etc.) are all growing.
Hum no. I studied Chicagos population for four years for the government I think I know what I am talking about.

But since you know please explain in detail with stats and facts of your "findings". Or are you just going by what you hear?

And no gentrification does not lead always to population gains many times its leads to loss. I have a few books I could recommend to you so you can educate yourself better on the subject.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Anyway, Chicago's demographics are off topic, I think we should just get back on topic to what the OP was asking for.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post

Gentrification is a part of it, and the loss of (particularly aged 0-19) blacks on the south and west sides is the other larger part. The population dropped by 7%, and the number of housholds dropped by 1%. Combination of more single and less black families (the black population under age 20 was over half the overall population loss), and gentrification on the north side which dropped the population of many historically lower/middle class areas with families who were replaced by physically larger households with 1 or 2 people.

Anyway....there are a ton of studies and papers written on it.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Chicago wins most categories, but from what you say about outdoors and snow, you'd probably be better off in Seattle.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Gentrification is a part of it, and the loss of (particularly aged 0-19) blacks on the south and west sides is the other larger part. The population dropped by 7%, and the number of housholds dropped by 1%. Combination of more single and less black families (the black population under age 20 was over half the overall population loss), and gentrification on the north side which dropped the population of many historically lower/middle class areas with families who were replaced by physically larger households with 1 or 2 people.

Anyway....there are a ton of studies and papers written on it.
Right. You had households that were 3-4 people being replaced by 1-2 people via gentrification. Gentrification many time causes loss. Cities like DC experienced lots of population loss because it was actually going though gentrification. Once most of the city became gentrified then you started to see growth.

Gentrification is a a transition period which many times pushes out a population and replaced by another. Sometimes that new population is bigger than the original sometimes it is smaller.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Chicago wins most categories, but from what you say about outdoors and snow, you'd probably be better off in Seattle.
I think OP Seattle might be a better city for you, in not that I think it offers more than Chicago or is more interesting, but it is very different from what you are used to. You stated you are from NYC and while Chicago and NYC are very different, you really aren't experiencing a total different urban experience.

By moving to Seattle you are completely changing everything.

Like for me, if I were to leave Chicago it would be for something totally different, LA, Miami, SF, Seattle, etc. While cities like NYC, Boston and Philly I love, I really have no desire to live in them, because while different cities, they offer a similar urban experience to Chicago, so I might as well stay put. If you are from NYC and really want a change I think Seattle would provide that better than Chicago.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:06 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullocity View Post
I think OP Seattle might be a better city for you, in not that I think it offers more than Chicago or is more interesting, but it is very different from what you are used to. You stated you are from NYC and while Chicago and NYC are very different, you really aren't experiencing a total different urban experience.

By moving to Seattle you are completely changing everything.

Like for me, if I were to leave Chicago it would be for something totally different, LA, Miami, SF, Seattle, etc. While cities like NYC, Boston and Philly I love, I really have no desire to live in them, because while different cities, they offer a similar urban experience to Chicago, so I might as well stay put. If you are from NYC and really want a change I think Seattle would provide that better than Chicago.
And he's going in the opposite direction, he says he doesn't want to deal with brutal winters, well ... Chicago is going to be a bit worse than what he had in NYC. He says he wants nature, well, Seattle is a poster city for that. It depends on what he values most, but usually win people go off on a rant about a few things like that... I take those ones highly.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 AM

399 posts, read 882,547 times
I am from NYS not NYC. Didnt make that clear. I am used to snowy winters, much worse than pretty much anywhere else in the country. Lake effect snow.

The thing about Seattle is the lack of hockey there. I am sick of cold snowy winters, but I need hockey. Thats why its such a tough choice. I really hope Seattle gets a team soon.

I am also very big on music scene too, and I think in that regard, its a wash. Both cities are massive for music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City