Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and prefer?
Western half of the U.S. 307 48.58%
Eastern half of the U.S. 325 51.42%
Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yes, I get all that as I lived most of my life in New England and I loved the rural areas of Maine, Vermont, and Upstate NY and I also won't deny the East certainly has superior alternative for public transportations. However I always dreaded having to make drives away from New England anytime I came through the Tri-State area (NY/NJ/CT) and most of the I-95 Bos-Wash corridor, driving there always gave me anxiety and it was always constantly congested.

So when sombody (such as the post I repsonded to) makes a very trite post stating that having twice the amount of population in the Eastern half supercedes the West based on that reason alone, well I beg to differ. I love how just about all major cities out west are juxtaposed with wide open spaces and natural superlatives right on the periphery.
You're right about everything. But I have to say Eastern cities are surrounded by openness and beauty, too, just maybe not quite as close to the major ones at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
East.

Better looking cities. North east is lush and green.
As is the northwest.

I voted for the western half. I prefer the west for the integration of nature and scenery into its cities. Central Park is a poor substitute for nature compared to a city like Los Angeles with its beaches and mountains within the city limits or Salt Lake City with its world class ski resorts minutes from downtown. Of course not everyone is into outdoor recreation but for those of us who are, the west wins easily.

I like the newer housing as well. I grew up with newer housing. When I visit places with older, historic districts, I see places are are cool to look at but I don't want to live in them. Tiny apartments, even tinier closets, no garbage disposal, no central ac, and other modern conveniences lacking. I'll take the new housing with a garden tub.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:49 PM

420 posts, read 705,693 times
Gotta go with west. Better scenery, better climates, more wide open spaces. New England is about the only place I would really enjoy living east. Nothing south of Massachusetts.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
In Minneapolis I feel like we don't have a dog in this fight. Technically we are on the edge of the east, but in cultural terms we probably look more to the west than the east in general. Most people here consider our peer cities to be Denver, Seattle and Portland. Minneapolis has always struck me as grudgingly Midwestern, not really part of the region in mindset, to far from the west to be a part of it, just kind of off on its' own.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:47 AM

219 posts, read 285,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Population of the Eastern half = 204 million

Population of the Western half = 110 million

And they're not evenly divided in area on the map even just on the continental U.S. part.

'nuff said.
More does not equal better......

Quality is better than quantity

West has the quality

Old 09-07-2013, 03:36 AM

309 posts, read 759,614 times
I'm a city person so I like the Eastern Half way better! The Eastern Half of the country is more fun and exciting to me. The Western Half of the country is boring compared to the Eastern Half in my opinion. The Eastern Half just has more going on. There is more places to see and visit and just more to do on the Eastern Half. Plus, I love history! The Eastern Half of the country has so much great history compared to the Western Half. If I were more into nature and scenery, I would have to choose the Western Half. The Pacific Northwest is very beautiful and unique. California is a state filled with much beauty even though many people love to hate and bash California. Colorado is an amazing state too. The Western Half is way better for skiing in the snow. However, I will gladly take the Eastern Half because it has New York City, Chicago, Washington D.C., Boston, Atlanta, New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, Miami, The Florida Keys, and many other great places. Also, the Eastern Half is way better if you are a big sports fan like me. On the Eastern Half you got Fenway Park in Boston, Wrigley Field in Chicago, Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Notre Dame Stadium in Indiana, and you also have SEC College Football in the South which is as good as it gets here in the United States. So I totally like the East more than the West. But hey, that's just me.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:40 AM

399 posts, read 882,342 times
Ill take the entire West Coast.

The only city I miss in the Eastern half is Chicago.

From NY, over it. Been there, done that.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 AM

399 posts, read 882,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're right about everything. But I have to say Eastern cities are surrounded by openness and beauty, too, just maybe not quite as close to the major ones at least.

The stretch between NYC and DC is pretty much all I care about in the East. Its simply not nearly enough.

The biggest strength of the East is the cities, which are man-made. NYC, Philly and DC are among my favorites, as I have lived my whole life in the Northeast, but theyre way too similar. Too many cities that are too similar, and theyre too close.

Out West, Seattle, SF and LA are all different, and so is the geography, and you cannot beat the micro-climates. Its the most varied half and its not even close. They say, variety is the spice of life.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:52 AM

121 posts, read 221,316 times
IMHO ~ America is beautiful for so many reasons, the diverse scenery is one. I've lived in the west most of my life and now in Florida. It all depends on your age (and many other factors) and what is important to you. As I got older, the cold winters became very hard on me and depressing as I am a sunshine person. I've lived in the mountains of Colorado, which are beautiful & southern California, which has beautiful weather (but so many other problems). For me it would be a toss up, so my motto remains "Bloom where you are planted"

Old 09-07-2013, 03:52 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
"Nuff said" is such a trite closed ended statement and doesn't factor in any logical debate. I'd say there is a whole more to say about that. The interstate highway infrastructure and traffic that goes with it over there is nothing short of attrocious. I miss the east coast, but I sure as hell don't miss the crowds and traffic. So, about all those people and crowds....

-Traffic on 95 in New Haven is bad – unfortunately, it’s about to get worse: Traffic on 95 in New Haven is bad - unfortunately, it's about to get worse - CT Boom

-Washington rated the worst for traffic congestion — again: Washington rated the worst for traffic congestion ? again - Washington Post

Massive Traffic backup on NJ Turnpike - YouTube
It always goes back and forth between us and Los Angeles and the NYC metro area when it comes to the worst traffic congestion in the nation, mostly the former two though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City