Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and prefer?
Western half of the U.S. 307 48.58%
Eastern half of the U.S. 325 51.42%
Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 03:57 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
As is the northwest.

I voted for the western half. I prefer the west for the integration of nature and scenery into its cities. Central Park is a poor substitute for nature compared to a city like Los Angeles with its beaches and mountains within the city limits or Salt Lake City with its world class ski resorts minutes from downtown. Of course not everyone is into outdoor recreation but for those of us who are, the west wins easily.

I like the newer housing as well. I grew up with newer housing. When I visit places with older, historic districts, I see places are are cool to look at but I don't want to live in them. Tiny apartments, even tinier closets, no garbage disposal, no central ac, and other modern conveniences lacking. I'll take the new housing with a garden tub.
You know, Central Park (Most of it is 'man-made' but it looks pretty beautiful nonetheless) isn't the only park in New York City As a matter of fact, it's not even their largest park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 06:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
It always goes back and forth between us and Los Angeles and the NYC metro area when it comes to the worst traffic congestion in the nation, mostly the former two though.
Honolulu and Miami are also up there-both cities have AWFUL drivers!

Old 09-08-2013, 12:48 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Ill take the entire West Coast.

The only city I miss in the Eastern half is Chicago.

From NY, over it. Been there, done that.
Chicago is an awesome city.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Honolulu and Miami are also up there-both cities have AWFUL drivers!
LOL I heard out about Miami's reputation of crazy drivers, but never Honolulu. They're that bad over there?

Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuitarGuy View Post
More does not equal better......

Quality is better than quantity

West has the quality
Western cities are generally more desirable to more Americans than any other region, at least by the looks of this year's Harris Poll.

9 of the top 15(10 if we count Austin)and 8 of the top 10 most desired cities to live are out west.

Question : "If you could live in or near ANY US
city, except the city you live in now, which city
would you choose?"

Top 15 Answers:

1 NEW YORK

2 SAN DIEGO

3 LOS ANGELES

4 SAN FRANCISCO

5 HONOLULU

6 SEATTLE

7-tie DENVER

7-tie PORTLAND

9 MIAMI

10 BOSTON

11 LAS VEGAS

12 CHICAGO

13 AUSTIN

14 ATLANTA

15-tie PHOENIX

15-tie NASHVILLE

Last edited by 18Montclair; 09-08-2013 at 01:15 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 04:36 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Western cities are generally more desirable to more Americans than any other region, at least by the looks of this year's Harris Poll.

9 of the top 15(10 if we count Austin)and 8 of the top 10 most desired cities to live are out west.
But not where people live, so I find these desire things stupid. This is the way I look at it, Each city has their own history and culture without a doubt The East is more culturally interesting than The West. Also while The West has more natural wonder the ideal that The East lack them is silly.
------------------------

In prospective

NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington, Miami, ATL, and Boston
VS...
LA, SF, Houston and DFW

Detroit, Minneapolis, Tampa, St. Louis,
VS....
Phoenix, Seattle, Riverside

Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Orlando, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City
VS...
San Diego, Denver, Portland, San Antonio, Sacramento

Indianapolis, Nashville, Virginia Beach, Providence, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, Memphis, Richmond, Hartford, New Orleans, Raleigh, Birmingham, Buffalo,
VS....
Las Vegas, San Jose, Austin, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City,

As I said the West beats the East in nature, But lets not act like the east isn't Beautiful.

Last edited by chiatldal; 09-08-2013 at 04:50 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 04:51 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
East.

Better looking cities. North east is lush and green.
And The pacific northwest is not lush and green?!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But not where people live, so I find these desire things stupid. This is the way I look at it, Each city has their own history and culture without a doubt The East is more culturally interesting than The West. Also while The West has more natural wonder the ideal that The East lack them is silly.
------------------------

In prospective

NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington, Miami, ATL, and Boston
VS...
LA, SF, Houston and DFW

Detroit, Minneapolis, Tampa, St. Louis,
VS....
Phoenix, Seattle, Riverside

Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Orlando, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City
VS...
San Diego, Denver, Portland, San Antonio, Sacramento

Indianapolis, Nashville, Virginia Beach, Providence, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, Memphis, Richmond, Hartford, New Orleans, Raleigh, Birmingham, Buffalo,
VS....
Las Vegas, San Jose, Austin, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City,

As I said the West beats the East in nature, But lets not act like the east isn't Beautiful.
City for city, I feel like the West holds is own in your city comparisons.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But not where people live
yes it seems a lot of people are stuck.

Quote:
so I find these desire things stupid.
Surprise Surprise.

lol

Old 09-08-2013, 09:07 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
The western US is beautiful and diverse without a doubt; but not as much more than the East as some people like to claim.

The eastern US is covered nearly every mile in some kind of thick forestry. This can give outsiders and the ignorant the illusion of samey-wamey. But when one really pays attention, that vast forest has a ton of diversity from region to region, especially north to south.

That forest also covers an array of differently colored soils, rocks and different formations of hills and mountains. Let's not forget the wetlands of the east! There is more diversity in swamps in the east than the west can ever hope to claim to. It's not all about mountains and desert.

Speaking of mountains, Autumn in the Appalachians, especially from West Virginia through New England, is the most breath-takingly beautiful in the world. And snowy winter in the northeast? Simply a sight to behold.

For some reason people get this idea that the east is all flat and without any diversity. They could not be more wrong. There are vast swaths of the west that can be very samey as well.

As far as people, I prefer eastern culture and food (NYC, Appalachia, Louisiana, Old Dixie, New England). But that's not a fair gauge as I am a child of the east. I'm sure the west offers it's people just as much.

P.S. I will never call Hellmanns mayo "Best Foods".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City