Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs DC which city has the superior natural beauty?
DC 34 48.57%
Atlanta 36 51.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:11 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times

Advertisements

Atlanta vs DC which city has the superior natural beauty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:01 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Atlanta for sure.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Probably Atlanta, more hilly, more trees, chattahoochee river, stone mountain, etc.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
It's really not that much less green than Atlanta, so when you throw in the Potomac and the picturesque autumns, DC is the clear winner in my eyes.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:03 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Atlanta is at the very foothills of the Piedmont, giving that city its hilly terrain, a massive lush tree canopy that engulfs the city and its metro area, Stone Mountain, Chattahoochee River, Piedmont Park, etc.

DC's residential streets and most of its non-Downtown neighborhoods have impressive natural beauty such as amazing landscaping, tree-lined side streets, private parks, and community gardens. DC also has the Potomac River and the Anacostia (These two rivers are beautiful in some parts), U.S. Botanical Garden, Rock Creek Park, Meridian Hill Park aka Malcolm X Park in Adams Morgan, the Constitution Gardens, the C&O Canal and Dumbarton Oaks in Georgetown, Theodore Roosevelt Island, the Three Sisters, etc. I think the neighborhoods (Excluding the National Mall area) that have some of the most lovely natural beauty while complimenting the architecture in DC are Capitol Hill, Adams Morgan, Georgetown, Woodley Park, Brookland, American University Park, Takoma, Cleveland Park, Anacostia, Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, North Cleveland Park, and Bloomingdale. Basically most of the Upper NW nabes are insanely beautiful! And when it comes to Spring foliage, DC is pretty hard to beat.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:31 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Atlanta is at the very foothills of the Piedmont, giving that city its hilly terrain, a massive lush tree canopy that engulfs the city and its metro area, Stone Mountain, Chattahoochee River, Piedmont Park, etc.

DC's residential streets and most of its non-Downtown neighborhoods have impressive natural beauty such as amazing landscaping, tree-lined side streets, private parks, and community gardens. DC also has the Potomac River and the Anacostia (These two rivers are beautiful in some parts), U.S. Botanical Garden, Rock Creek Park, Meridian Hill Park aka Malcolm X Park in Adams Morgan, the Constitution Gardens, the C&O Canal and Dumbarton Oaks in Georgetown, Theodore Roosevelt Island, the Three Sisters, etc. I think the neighborhoods (Excluding the National Mall area) that have some of the most lovely natural beauty while complimenting the architecture in DC are Capitol Hill, Adams Morgan, Georgetown, Woodley Park, Brookland, American University Park, Takoma, Cleveland Park, Anacostia, Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, North Cleveland Park, and Bloomingdale. Basically most of the Upper NW nabes are insanely beautiful! And when it comes to Spring foliage, DC is pretty hard to beat.
Ummm, that's not natural beauty LOL.

I'd give this one to Atlanta, but not by a huge margin. I generally think that Piedmont cities have more picturesque settings than fall line cities, although the latter aren't necessarily lacking in defining geographical features.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:35 AM

I voted Atlanta as well but do love the cherry blossom in DC.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Neither city has any outstanding topographical trademark feature that really defines the city in the way that the lakefront does for Chicago, the beach for Miami, or the front range of the Rockies does for Denver. Atlanta is one of the most forested cities the US with a remarkable canopy all around the city but DC does have a bit of that as well and Stone Mountain is a standout.

I think with these two cities the Potomac River sets DC apart and creates more of a postcard photo setting with the parkland integrated along the river and its a wide river creating more of an open space to take in the city's landmarks. Both are beautiful cities though, can't say one really has any exponential lead over the other.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Neither city has any outstanding topographical trademark feature that really defines the city in the way that the lakefront does for Chicago, the beach for Miami, or the front range of the Rockies does for Denver. Atlanta is one of the most forested cities the US with a remarkable canopy all around the city but DC does have a bit of that as well and Stone Mountain is a standout.

I think with these two cities the Potomac River sets DC apart and creates more of a postcard photo setting with the parkland integrated along the river and its a wide river creating more of an open space to take in the city's landmarks. Both are beautiful cities though, can't say one really has any exponential lead over the other.
Good observation and I think that a lack of water is the only draw back to Atlanta's overall landscape. About Miami and Chicago I personally think that both having a pretty boring flat landscape and water is the only saving grace. But DC and Atlanta could hold their own without water.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:26 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
aren't all these parks and botanical gardens and manicured streets... "man made"... I wouldn't call them natural beauty or nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City