Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times

Advertisements

There really are several problems with this kind of a survey. Firstly, the answers are largely dependent upon pop-culture perception, as opposed to any kind of personal experiences on the part of the respondents. Secondly, the survey group is quite small (900 people via "automated telephone interviews".

Most importantly, the cities seem to have been selected randomly, or by some form of logic apparent only to the researchers. Six of the twenty-one largest metro areas are excluded, while two cities from the same metro area are included. On the other hand, ten of the largest cities by city limit population are also excluded. This means that declaring a given city as being "most popular" or "least popular" needs to be modified with the addition of.."of the cities we chose to include".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 PM

141 posts, read 306,775 times
Stupid. NYC is the most popular. Not to knock Seattle, but it isn't even in the top 10 most visited cities in the U.S. There seems to be a strange disconnect between the # of people who actually visit Seattle and the results of this nonsensical poll.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:57 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times
Seattle really is a nice city, but in many ways it's like a celebrity who is declared "most beautiful" (or "most handsome"). Once that happens, everyone feels the need to repeat it lest they seem out-of-step. Eventually, it gets repeated so often that it becomes a culturally ingrained fad. As George Costanza said of Seattle: "It's the pesto of cities"

Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Where was Seattle 10 years ago?

Old 09-28-2013, 01:58 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Fair enough. I guess my dealing with the politics board have tainted my perception. Every time Chicago's struggles with crime are mentioned (which is quite often on that board) a potshot at Obama is sure to follow. The pro-NRA guys love to bash Chicago. I think this guy nails it here:

"It's mostly just political snark, petty stuff. NY, LA, and Frisco have been getting it for years. Chicago is ground zero right now because the president is from here. Nobody paid much attention nationally when we used to have 700-800 murders a year."

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ing-obama.html
Well like I said,haters will find any reason to associate things with politicians they hate so they can convert others to their campaign but the average person are not going to do the same.Even if they dislike Obama.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:28 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Conservatives bashing Chicago due to its association with Barack Obama is no different than liberals bashing Texas due to its association with George W. Bush.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
All these damn lists are based off opinion and have no facts behind them.......sooooo pointless!!

Old 09-28-2013, 09:05 PM

233 posts, read 368,959 times
Just like CD CvC where we are all totally boring homers with nothing better to do than post our half-baked opinions about everything

Old 09-29-2013, 04:20 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
To people who don't understand why Seattle is the top here is what I think. Seattle isn't the most visited, or popular, or talked about cities in America, but it has an appeal to almost everyone (Exclusion of the Weather). Seattle has a little bit of everything. Big city feel, but quick escape into more scenic quiet areas. Emerging nightlife with great music scene, but still has a charm that you can find in smaller communities. World Class cuisine with a Dive/hole in the wall/foodtruck culture. It's like the kid that you went to school with, fairly known, but you rarely could say anything negative about them, they seemed to get along with everyone. That's Seattle to me. Not too many extreme's in the city. Just a emerging area to be in!

Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
To people who don't understand why Seattle is the top here is what I think. Seattle isn't the most visited, or popular, or talked about cities in America, but it has an appeal to almost everyone (Exclusion of the Weather). Seattle has a little bit of everything. Big city feel, but quick escape into more scenic quiet areas. Emerging nightlife with great music scene, but still has a charm that you can find in smaller communities. World Class cuisine with a Dive/hole in the wall/foodtruck culture. It's like the kid that you went to school with, fairly known, but you rarely could say anything negative about them, they seemed to get along with everyone. That's Seattle to me. Not too many extreme's in the city. Just a emerging area to be in!
Weather is one of the top concerns for people after a job.Its the reason people who already live in Seattle leave.Well....also the cost also actually.Seattle is VERY expensive.

Those two reasons why my Aunt and Uncle moved with their three kids from Bellevue.I had a friend from Auburn Washington and he said the same things.
Its a solid city but even it has its drawbacks like every city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City