Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city overall?
Detroit 11 23.91%
New Orleans 35 76.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 PM

669 posts, read 915,833 times

Advertisements

There is a thread for this but no poll. Yes, I am aware of the size difference between the two cities. But considering the larger city happens to the most hated city in America, I thought it would even things out a bit.

What things are each cities better in? What things are they worse in? Which do you feel in the better city overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 06:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Have never been to Detroit. I'd say New Orleans, although I'm only speaking from one side. To see some of the images and stories of Detroit helped solidify my conclusion. It's not just the pictures and stories, it's the fact that I haven't seen or heard of any large scale projects taking place within the city of Detroit. Recently watched a video of their police departments issues (which seem to rival that of a Jamaican city or something), which I think was post bankruptcy. New Orleans is already a couple steps ahead on renewing urban areas and attracting new citizens and businesses.

Not trying to take a shot at Detroit whatsoever here, so don't misinterpret this post.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:44 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Have never been to Detroit. I'd say New Orleans, although I'm only speaking from one side. To see some of the images and stories of Detroit helped solidify my conclusion. It's not just the pictures and stories, it's the fact that I haven't seen or heard of any large scale projects taking place within the city of Detroit. Recently watched a video of their police departments issues (which seem to rival that of a Jamaican city or something), which I think was post bankruptcy. New Orleans is already a couple steps ahead on renewing urban areas and attracting new citizens and businesses.

Not trying to take a shot at Detroit whatsoever here, so don't misinterpret this post.
Look up information on its Downtown and there are actually some nice, intact neighborhoods within the city of Detroit.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 PM

349 posts, read 573,323 times
I think the N.O. is in a better condition overall. New Orleans still has the tourism industry, and a large area of the city that still functions well (i.e. French Quarter, The Magazine). Two things Detroit has in its favor is 1)Being the center of a huge, rich metro area. 2)Having lots of grand, pre-war skyscrapers. The latter can't be stated enough. Pre-war buildings aren't a dime a dozen, so for any city in the world to have them is a treasure.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Look up information on its Downtown and there are actually some nice, intact neighborhoods within the city of Detroit.
Seems Woodbridge, SW, and Midtown are the hoods to watch. But are these relatively small areas in relation to the size of the city proper? Are the bad areas overstated like in New Orleans?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
I think the N.O. is in a better condition overall. New Orleans still has the tourism industry, and a large area of the city that still functions well (i.e. French Quarter, The Magazine). Two things Detroit has in its favor is 1)Being the center of a huge, rich metro area. 2)Having lots of grand, pre-war skyscrapers. The latter can't be stated enough. Pre-war buildings aren't a dime a dozen, so for any city in the world to have them is a treasure.
The entire city functions well. The real terrible part is the East.
New Orleans also has plenty of pre-war skyscrapers and buildings. Wonder who has more?

Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 PM

I counted 85 for Detroit vs 31 for New Orleans on Skyscraper Page. I think what also seperates Detroit in this regard is the sheer size of some of the old pre-war towers. Its one of the few skylines where pre and post-war buildings get equal standing. Even in Chicago, the old pre-war towers are buried within the modern ones.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I counted 85 for Detroit vs 31 for New Orleans on Skyscraper Page. I think what also seperates Detroit in this regard is the sheer size of some of the old pre-war towers. Its one of the few skylines where pre and post-war buildings get equal standing. Even in Chicago, the old pre-war towers are buried within the modern ones.
Wow that's a huge difference.

Don't many rust belt cities have that same attribute? Looks that way in Cincy, Cleveland, maybe St. Louis.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:00 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Seems Woodbridge, SW, and Midtown are the hoods to watch. But are these relatively small areas in relation to the size of the city proper? Are the bad areas overstated like in New Orleans?

The entire city functions well. The real terrible part is the East.
New Orleans also has plenty of pre-war skyscrapers and buildings. Wonder who has more?
The rough neighborhoods are pretty legit, but take a look at Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, the University District, Boston-Edison, Corktown, Indian Village, East English Village and West Village.

You might be interested in this too: Model D Home -- Detroit's Online News Magazine

Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Wow that's a huge difference.

Don't many rust belt cities have that same attribute? Looks that way in Cincy, Cleveland, maybe St. Louis.
Yea, St.Louis and Pittsburgh almost have as many as Detroit. Cleveland has the same numbers as New Orleans, but has the tallest pre-war building outside NYC.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The rough neighborhoods are pretty legit, but take a look at Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, the University District, Boston-Edison, Corktown, Indian Village, East English Village and West Village.

You might be interested in this too: Model D Home -- Detroit's Online News Magazine
Did the razing of Tiger Stadium effect Corktown? And it doesn't look to be that old honestly. I love the rowhouses, and Michigan Central Station (letting this building sit should be a death penalty) but seems like the streets are very wide for the city's oldest neighborhood. Places like Sherwood, Palmer Woods, and the U, remind me of Houston and seem remarkably suburban for such an old city. GM and Ford really destroyed the urbanity I see. But I can tell how influential the auto industry was.
What are some of the middle class neighborhoods in Detroit?
Quote:
Yea, St.Louis and Pittsburgh almost have as many as Detroit. Cleveland has the same numbers as New Orleans, but has the tallest pre-war building outside NYC.
Hahha that's the only reason I mentioned the rest of the Midwest, the Key Tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City