Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Families: Sacramento vs. Portland vs. Raleigh vs. Austin
Sacramento 23 36.51%
Portland 10 15.87%
Raleigh 24 38.10%
Austin 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 AM

38 posts, read 61,188 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My husband and our two small children are looking to relocate for a variety of reasons, but mainly for more job opportunities for DH who works in marketing. We love Sacramento, but the jobs here are limited and home prices only keep increasing. We've looked into many cities, and as far as we can tell, Portland, Raleigh and Austin appear to be good contenders. (We also looked into CO Springs and Salt Lake City, but we're not snow people. Boise looked good, but no jobs there.)

How would you compare these cities in terms of being family-friendly? That would include low crime, number of parks, outdoor recreation, libraries, slower pace of life and overall family values. We will be homeschooling, so schools are not a factor for us. We'd also love to have a good-sized back yard, since that is nearly impossible to attain in our area. Weather matters as far as how much outdoor time we can enjoy.

If you're familiar with Sacramento, how does it compare to living in these cities?

Your input is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Raleigh, or Cary, NC in particular is a great burb for family life with nice east coast/colonial style homes and cul de sacs, decent landscaping and parks, every kind of grocery and big box retail convenience, and plenty of employment nearby. It doesn't have any real impressive scenery or natural superlatives in the immediate area like most western metros have, though some of the country's finest beaches are just a few hours away on the Carolina coast in one direction and the Smoky Mountains a few hours away in the other direction. I'm sure any one of these metros has a good burb with a nitch for a nice family life as everyone has a different definitions for "family values". That said, in the traditional sense Raleigh/Cary is a good one.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-30-2013 at 06:07 AM..

Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 AM

That was my impression. Thank you!

Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 AM

390 posts, read 941,187 times
Seattle

Old 09-30-2013, 01:20 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Of these, Portland.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:56 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I've lived in or near all 4 of these cities and like them all. I don't think you'll see any economic advantage going from Sactown to Portland....one high tax state to another and the pay in both cities doesn't compensate for the higher COL. I would pick Sacto over Portland if for no other reason than the climate.

Both Austin & Raleigh are growing fast and are less expensive than the other 2. Texas has no state income tax but does have a high property tax so it depends on your personal situation...if you're over 6 figure income, it's an advantage to be in Texas. Austin is hot like Sacto but has more humidity and doesn't cool at night like it does in Sac in summer. Raleigh is a beautiful area and has a moderate comfortable climate. There wasn't really anything I didn't like there but just remember that it's southern culture influenced which some enjoy and others don't. From your description, I think you would like it. I still really liked Sac and wouldn't leave unless you had a better economic opportunity on the table.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:49 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've lived in or near all 4 of these cities and like them all. I don't think you'll see any economic advantage going from Sactown to Portland....one high tax state to another and the pay in both cities doesn't compensate for the higher COL. I would pick Sacto over Portland if for no other reason than the climate.

Both Austin & Raleigh are growing fast and are less expensive than the other 2. Texas has no state income tax but does have a high property tax so it depends on your personal situation...if you're over 6 figure income, it's an advantage to be in Texas. Austin is hot like Sacto but has more humidity and doesn't cool at night like it does in Sac in summer. Raleigh is a beautiful area and has a moderate comfortable climate. There wasn't really anything I didn't like there but just remember that it's southern culture influenced which some enjoy and others don't. From your description, I think you would like it. I still really liked Sac and wouldn't leave unless you had a better economic opportunity on the table.
Not that old chestnut. I'm sorry to bring facts into play but the most recent statistics I could find ranks the state's tax burdens as (the lower the number, the higher the burden) and the per capita tax burden as:

California #6 $4,934
Washington #14 $4,261
Oregon #21 $3,729
North Carolina #28 $3,535
Texas #37 $3,104

But you are right that the climates are very different between Portland and Sacramento or Austin; while the culture is very different between Sacramento and Austin or Raleigh.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 PM

If jobs were plentiful in Sacramento, we may not be looking to relocate. But there are very few work opportunities for my husband, and he really wants to do something he's passionate about.

It's true - Portland offers a different climatic environment, whereas Raleigh or Austin offer a different cultural environment.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:19 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Austin is hot like Sacto but has more humidity and doesn't cool at night like it does in Sac in summer. Raleigh is a beautiful area and has a moderate comfortable climate.
Yes you are right about Sacramento's cool summer nights and mornings:

August 2013 Data:

Number of Mornings in the 50’s:

Coolest to Least Coolest

SACRAMENTO: 17 days - the cold pacific blows very cool wind and cool-moisture into Sac City from Sacto Delta, evenings&nights regularly during summer.

Portland: 8 days
Seattle: 3 days
Los Angeles: 2 days

San Diego: 0 days
Fresno: 0 days

AUSTIN: 0 days

Sacramento summer mornings are more like the SF Bay Area and actually slightly cooler than the Pacific Northwest on average throughout the Summer.

Last edited by Chimérique; 10-01-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Yes you are right about Sacramento's cool summer nights and mornings:

August 2013 Data:

Summer Nights and Mornings cooling into 50's and 60's:

SACRAMENTO: 31 DAYS, everyday

Portland: 31 days, everyday

AUSTIN: NEVER cooled into the 50's and 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City