Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 04:46 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times

Advertisements

I guess another question is this:

"Where does Western Cultural appearances start"?

I would say in most Midwestern cities that are West of the Great Lake territories. I think these areas are a mixture of West Coast and East Coast culture. You also start to see the name "West" applied to the region. For example Kansas City is often referred to as the "West" in sports. You also start to see a lot of cowboy culture become more noticeable in Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, North/South Dakota, which I consider to be a historical characteristic of West Coast culture. I think these states are the last real evidence of East Coast culture before you consider yourself emerged in Western USA culture picking up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 04:59 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Technically this is possible as jet streams often go over more population zones of the East Coast.
I'm not sure how going over more population zones has anything to do with the speed a plane can fly.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:43 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm not sure how going over more population zones has anything to do with the speed a plane can fly.
I don't know what it is, just that flying up and down the East Coast is a lot faster than flying up and down the West Coast.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I don't know what it is, just that flying up and down the East Coast is a lot faster than flying up and down the West Coast.
It's not at all. Flying from Seattle to San Diego takes the same amount of time as NYC to Miami. Planes don't fly any faster on the East Coast.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:54 PM

669 posts, read 914,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The architecture on the East Coast is ancient, small and extremely crowded in comparison to the West Coast. Triple-deckers (Boston), brownstones and tenements ( NYC) , and rowhouses (Philly, Baltimore and Wash DC) all contributed to a very congested atmosphere, while LA ( and California in general) is the shining example of the growth of the split -level suburb, with plenty of room for everyone..
If I was trying to slick like you, another way I could put that is LA and the west coast has space full of boring suburbs with lack of activities.

You could have just said LA and the west coast is more suburban instead of this sly attempt at a dig.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The architecture on the East Coast is ancient, small and extremely crowded in comparison to the West Coast. Triple-deckers (Boston), brownstones and tenements ( NYC) , and rowhouses (Philly, Baltimore and Wash DC) all contributed to a very congested atmosphere, while LA ( and California in general) is the shining example of the growth of the split -level suburb, with plenty of room for everyone.
Sure if this was 1950...

Old 10-02-2013, 07:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Spoken like someone who knows a lot about the East Coast and almost nothing about the West Coast.

One big difference I notice - people on the West Coast don't try to pretend like they are experts on the East Coast, while you get people from the East spouting off all kinds of nonsense about the West as if it was factual. The East Coast (the Northeast in particular) also has a very off-putting superiority complex.
Oh stop. First of all, and I really don't want to start fights here, a lot of people from CA boast about the 'great weather' and 'natural scenery' about as much as some of those on the East Coast boast about having NYC, more American history, and anything else you think we feel superior for.

Let's call a spade a spade. This thread is bound to get nasty, but we need to acknowledge this kind of stuff happens both ways, towards both coasts from both coasts. It's childish to pretend otherwise. It's actually childish in general to resort to these arguments but whatever.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:30 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
If I was trying to slick like you, another way I could put that is LA and the west coast has space full of boring suburbs with lack of activities.

You could have just said LA and the west coast is more suburban instead of this sly attempt at a dig.
I wasn't trying to be "slick", sport.

I like having a little elbow room..

Old 10-03-2013, 07:46 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
As an Australian who's been from LA to Boston through 16 states, the East coast feels the most different. The history, the urbanity, the whole ethos, the very direct, in-your-face but real manner of the people. I loved both the East and the West, but I much prefer the cities in the East like NYC, Boston, to LA, Vegas.etc.

I'd say the West is more 'individualistic' while the East seems more traditional and family-orientated, maybe the strongly Irish-Italian-Jewish presence in the Northeast.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'd say the West is more 'individualistic' while the East seems more traditional and family-orientated, maybe the strongly Irish-Italian-Jewish presence in the Northeast.
But you could say the same thing about Mexicans on the West Coast who are even more family-oriented, imo. And Hispanics, at close to 40% of California's population, make up a larger proportion of the population than Irish, Italians and Jews do here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City