Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 10:47 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The reason for being more considerate? Of course not. But that he thinks they're more considerate ... sure. Why not? If the whole post is a "joke post" doesn't that mean it belongs somewhere else? Like the humor thread?
Good point. Humor does NOT belong anywhere in this forum! This is serious sh*t we discuss on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 02:41 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's more Black-Hispanic integration on the East Coast. I'm not sure who the West Coast equivalent of Angie Martinez would be, for example. You have a white Hispanic woman who's the "Voice of the Streets" on a NYC Hip Hop station.
Well, out there in Los Angeles they have Julio G. And in the bay they have Nessa Nitty. I think she's Hispanic.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
West Coast Hispanics seem to have a culture that's more distinct from African American culture. The concept of Chicano or "Latin" rap, for example, doesn't exist here (waiting for someone to post a video of NYC's hottest Chicano rapper). It's largely because, imo, many Hispanics here have African ancestry, so they're not perceived as being that different.
I agree. Funny, because Chicano rap has a large enough following that one of those artist should get signed, and make it big. Well, at least it has a large following out west, pretty much from Los Angeles to Houston. And it seems Hispanic east-coast rappers like Immortal Technique have a huge following out there. Either way, I think Hispanics out there have fully embraced black/caribbean Hispanics hip-hop due to Cypress Hill being made up entirely of Black-Hispanics. Crazy how they were the voice of Chicano-Hop. But at the same time, there were authentic Mexican-American rappers like Kid Frost. Kid Frost was the 1st Chicano rapper to receive mainstream popularity.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:51 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well, out there in Los Angeles they have Julio G. And in the bay they have Nessa Nitty. I think she's Hispanic.
I wasn't aware of any of those people. I was just giving an example of Black-Hispanic integration on the East Coast, which runs deeper than the example I provided. Since many Hispanics on the East Coast are of African descent, it's easy to see why those two groups have had a close-knit relationship over the decades. It's really Latin, African American, West Indian and to a lesser extent African culture that all clash together with African ancestry being the common thread.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I wasn't aware of any of those people. I was just giving an example of Black-Hispanic integration on the East Coast, which runs deeper than the example I provided. Since many Hispanics on the East Coast are of African descent, it's easy to see why those two groups have had a close-knit relationship over the decades. It's really Latin, African American, West Indian and to a lesser extent African culture that all clash together with African ancestry being the common thread.
I agree 100%. Blacks and Hispanics on the east-coast have very long history of integration. Like you said, a great deal of Hispanics who settled on the east-coast have African-Ancestry. If you watch some of those VH1 "love and whatever" shows, alot of those Hispanic females just look like light-skinned black women. Alot of ambiguous "She could be black" looking women with Hispanic last names. So many "Morenas" and "Morenos" have integrated and intermarried for a couple of the last few generations. This basically created thousands of half-black/Puerto Rican/Dominican offspring. There's definitely more Lala Vazquez, Zoe Saldanas, and Christina Milians out here, than there are Eva Longoria's. Out west, I'd imagine you'd see more "Are they Asian or Hispanic" type integration. Alot of Filipino/Mexican, Mexican/Vietnamese, Polynesian/Mexican, just alot of combinations between brown-people and Asian-Pacific Islander. And alot more Blasians.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I agree. Funny, because Chicano rap has a large enough following that one of those artist should get signed, and make it big. Well, at least it has a large following out west, pretty much from Los Angeles to Houston. And it seems Hispanic east-coast rappers like Immortal Technique have a huge following out there. Either way, I think Hispanics out there have fully embraced black/caribbean Hispanics hip-hop due to Cypress Hill being made up entirely of Black-Hispanics. Crazy how they were the voice of Chicano-Hop. But at the same time, there were authentic Mexican-American rappers like Kid Frost. Kid Frost was the 1st Chicano rapper to receive mainstream popularity.
I think the bolded words make the difference here. I don't think anyone anywhere thinks of Fat Joe, Big Pun, N.O.R.E or Juelz Santana as "Hispanic" or "Caribbean" rappers. They're just rappers. "Lean Back" is not Hispanic hip hop. It's just hip hop. It's not distinguishable in any way from the other hip hop that's on rotation in every city in the USA.

But out there, you have a completely different subset of rap music that's quite specific to the Chicano community.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
There really isn't a lot of asian/black integration on the West Coast. It may appear to be that way, but they're about as separate on the West Coast as they are anywhere else. I think the perception amongst the two groups is different though. Asians don't turn up their nose at blacks out West nearly as often as I've seen in the East. Also on the West Coast, you'll find lower income Asians scattered around more often. In other cities, many asians are upper middle class, and only associate with upper middle class whites. But on the West Coast you'll find asians who are raised in middle lower class or lower class areas along with blacks. The result is that you find a bit closer of a relationship amongst those two groups, or you just find Asians emulating black culture more. Middle class wise, many blacks on the West Coast are socially different than middle class on the East Coast, so you may see them emulating asian culture more (like being into anime or heavily into video games coming from Japan). In the gaming community, they're called Weebos or Japanophiles.

From my observation, in terms of interracial dating, I have found foreign born Asians more likely to date black Americans, where the ones born here really wouldn't consider dating black people. Again, I THINK people in those asian countries aren't that racist when they come over here, but get a sense of class/racial hierarchy after a few generations. Though you may find more anti-white mentalities amongst asians here in the Bay Area.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%. Blacks and Hispanics on the east-coast have very long history of integration. Like you said, a great deal of Hispanics who settled on the east-coast have African-Ancestry. If you watch some of those VH1 "love and whatever" shows, alot of those Hispanic females just look like light-skinned black women. Alot of ambiguous "She could be black" looking women with Hispanic last names. So many "Morenas" and "Morenos" have integrated and intermarried for a couple of the last few generations. This basically created thousands of half-black/Puerto Rican/Dominican offspring. There's definitely more Lala Vazquez, Zoe Saldanas, and Christina Milians out here, than there are Eva Longoria's. Out west, I'd imagine you'd see more "Are they Asian or Hispanic" type integration. Alot of Filipino/Mexican, Mexican/Vietnamese, Polynesian/Mexican, just alot of combinations between brown-people and Asian-Pacific Islander. And alot more Blasians.
"What would you do for a Klondike? Or two chicks that look Christina Milian like?"

-Kanye West

Christina Milian smile wallpaper

http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content...ury-Pool-3.jpg

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-pho...rds-ucIEjg.jpg

I used to be all about Christina Milian. And Claudette Ortiz.

http://media.celebrity-pictures.ca/C...tiz-653382.jpg

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/367255.jpg

http://youknowigotsoul.com/wp-conten...ette-ortiz.jpg

Old 10-04-2013, 03:10 PM

http://youtu.be/N7hh2FwFVgU
Quote:
I think the bolded words make the difference here. I don't think anyone anywhere thinks of Fat Joe, Big Pun, N.O.R.E or Juelz Santana as "Hispanic" or "Caribbean" rappers. They're just rappers. "Lean Back" is not Hispanic hip hop. It's just hip hop. It's not distinguishable in any way from the other hip hop that's on rotation in every city in the USA.

But out there, you have a completely different subset of rap music that's quite specific to the Chicano community.
I was speaking more of them embracing a Caribbean rapper, not necesarily calling their music Hispanic Hip-Hop. But you're right, out West, Hispanic rap is more culturally unique to that Chicano culture, whereas Fat Joe, NORE, and all them do more conventional hip-hop. ALTHOUGH, Fat Joe and ESPECIALLY NORE have ventured off and done reggaetone and other Island-Hip-Hop. As a matter of fact, there was one MAJOR collaboration with NORE, Fat Joe, Nina Sky, Chingo Bling(Chicano Rapper from Texas) and Lil Rob(Chicano/Sureno rapper from California). That was probably the first time I've seen MAJOR collaboration between the Black-Hispanic community on the East-Coast and in the Caribbean do a major collaboration with Western-US Mexican-Americans. It also reflected the popularity of Reggaetone not only in the Caribbean-Hispanic community, but also in countries like Mexico. The song is called Mas Maiz. It was a sort of "We're all Latino here, lets unite" type of effort:

http://youtu.be/N7hh2FwFVgU

Last edited by polo89; 10-04-2013 at 03:18 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Alot of Filipino/Mexican, Mexican/Vietnamese, Polynesian/Mexican, just alot of combinations between brown-people and Asian-Pacific Islander. And alot more Blasians.
The Blasians you see on the East Coast tend to be of West Indian descent. It's what we call dougla. It is a very common mixture in the Caribbean. Tatyana Ali is probably the most famous example (or maybe Nicki Minaj). West Indians mixed with East Asian ancestry are not as common.

http://becitystrong.com/wp-content/u..._2-300x295.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8208/steupx560sj.jpg

http://www.douglatt.com/uploads/3/5/...93/5261055.jpg

http://forums.trinituner.com/upload/data/26/ali.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City