Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more Superstar?
Miami 15 15.96%
Los Angeles 79 84.04%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:05 PM

32 posts, read 41,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
Los Angeles definitely has the corner on wannabe superstars.
More like the best most real people in this b****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
I think Miami takes the crown here for flashy / lavish living.

Los Angeles is nice but it's more "laid back" "be different" type of city.

Both are really excellent and offer a ton of great things depending on taste.

You can't go wrong on either, Miami has the Atlantic , LA has the Pacific.

Miami is more "exotic" and Los Angeles is more "scenic"

Both have great latino flavor Miami has the Cubans , LA has the Mexicans

Both have luxury and good shopping , glamour and cosmopolitan feel.

I feel Miami is a bit more Diverse as they have people from all over Latin America and Europeans and New Yorkers.

Los Angeles is good but mostly "white people type of town" feel, Mexicans are in East LA or Long Beach, Blacks are also segregated.

Skyline Miami wins this for me, I don't think Los Angeles can hang.

I also prefer the warmer beach / white sand/ tropical feel / year round warmth

Miami Beach / Aventura / Coral Gables / Downtown / Bal Harbour are all nice.

Miami heat are better than Lakers

More high end parties also many yacht parties

Miami is more urban and dense and easier to navigate.

Los angeles is all spread out and the air isn't as clean as Miami

Earth quakes are worse than Hurricanes

Do you need any more reasons?

But don't get it confused, Los Angeles is one of my favorite cities too

overall - Miami > LA both are great though.

Um no. By a landslide LA >>>>>>>>then Miami. But Miami looks nice and flashy. Miami is OK but prolly more of a Vegas of the east. Not really a comparison for LA. Should be Miami vs Vegas. That's more fair. LA by far has more high rises and a taller and more powerful skyline. Miami is very diverse but not on LA's level. LA is by far more diverse and is the most diverse in the world. And is ranked 1st in culture by Forbes.LA is very exotic and scenic and has better beaches. Long Beach>>> South Beach. All that is is a lil party town. And no LA is not segregated. You will see people of every race anywhere you go. Like LA can't go wrong wit diversity. Heat is better then Lakers but Clippers are way betta then heat. And no lol Hurricanes are worse and destroy houses and kill people. I'm sure somebody would rather be in a lil eq then a house rippin hurricane lol. But anyways by far LA>Miami. But Miami has its lil perks.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Angelspro View Post
Um no. By a landslide LA >>>>>>>>then Miami. But Miami looks nice and flashy. Miami is OK but prolly more of a Vegas of the east. Not really a comparison for LA. Should be Miami vs Vegas. That's more fair. LA by far has more high rises and a taller and more powerful skyline. Miami is very diverse but not on LA's level. LA is by far more diverse and is the most diverse in the world. And is ranked 1st in culture by Forbes.LA is very exotic and scenic and has better beaches. Long Beach>>> South Beach. All that is is a lil party town. And no LA is not segregated. You will see people of every race anywhere you go. Like LA can't go wrong wit diversity. Heat is better then Lakers but Clippers are way betta then heat. And no lol Hurricanes are worse and destroy houses and kill people. I'm sure somebody would rather be in a lil eq then a house rippin hurricane lol. But anyways by far LA>Miami. But Miami has its lil perks.
I do agree with you, but your argument about hurricanes vs earthquakes is weak. There are different strengths of hurricanes & not all are as bad as Katrina. A small earth tremor is similar to a tropical storm, but an earthquake like the one in Tokyo a few years ago is as bas as a category 5 hurricane. Not to mention earthquakes can cause tsunamis. I have to say that hurricanes are better than earthquakes just because you know a hurricane is coming & can evacuate, whereas earthquakes are very unpredictable

Old 12-23-2014, 09:48 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:

I feel Miami is a bit more Diverse as they have people from all over Latin America and Europeans and New Yorkers.

Los Angeles is good but mostly "white people type of town" feel, Mexicans are in East LA or Long Beach, Blacks are also segregated.

Wow, I didn't know New Yorkers count as a separate racial or ethnic category. LOL.

Miami is more diverse? You are very misinformed.

The ethnic/racial breakdown for:

Miami-Dade County (2012 census estimate):
White 77.6% (Non-Hispanic white: 16.3%)
Black: 19.2%
Asian: 1.7%
Pacific Islander: 0%
Native American: 0.3%
Two or More Races: 1.2%
Hispanic/Latino (any race): 64.3%
Miami-Dade County, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles County (2010 census):
White: 50.3% (Non-Hispanic white: 27.8%)
Black: 8.7%
Asian: 13.7%
Pacific Islander: 0.3%
Native American: 0.7%
Two or More Races: 4.5%
Hispanic/Latino (any race): 47.7%

Los Angeles County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And note that many so called (non-Hispanic) "whites" in LA are of Persian or Armenian descent. Totally part of the fabric/culture of LA but would stick out like sore thumbs in Miami.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Miami is more urban and dense and easier to navigate.

Los angeles is all spread out and the air isn't as clean as Miami
Again, you are way off target.

Large swaths of the LA basin are among the most dense communities in the country:

Los Angeles is the Most Densely Populated Urban Area in the US - Facts & Figures - Curbed LA

List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a ranking of metro areas with the most places with a residential population of 10,000 people per square mile (ppsm) or more, the LA metro area ranked second to NYC with 27 such communities.

The Miami metro area was ranked 4th with 7 such communities.

The city proper of Miami (10,100 ppsm) has a residential density on par with Santa Monica (10,100 ppsm). The city proper of LA includes large swaths of mountainous terrain including parkland such as the 4,310 acre Griffith Park. Yet the overall density including the mountains/hills is 8,282 persons per square mile. But there are districts in the city in the "flats" with residential densities that are above 40,000 persons per square mile (Koreatown and McArthur Park).

So no, LA's urban core is denser over larger swaths of territory than Miami...I don't think you've ever been to Los Angeles.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:

More assertions without any facts or sources to back your bogus claims.

Long Beach is one of the most diverse cities of its size in the country (462,000 in 2010).

White: 46.1% (non-Hispanic whites: 29.4%)
Black: 13.5%
Asian: 12.9%
Hispanic/Latino (any race): 40%

Old 12-23-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I do agree with you, but your argument about hurricanes vs earthquakes is weak. There are different strengths of hurricanes & not all are as bad as Katrina. A small earth tremor is similar to a tropical storm, but an earthquake like the one in Tokyo a few years ago is as bas as a category 5 hurricane. Not to mention earthquakes can cause tsunamis. I have to say that hurricanes are better than earthquakes just because you know a hurricane is coming & can evacuate, whereas earthquakes are very unpredictable

I see your point but I'm from LA and trust me, people who are not from here exaggerate on our eqs. They are really weak news like maybe a 3.0 and we used to it. Big earthquajes are rare. But again, people exaggerate about us having eqs and make it seem like we have these gigantic killer eqs but we don't. A hurricane is worse IMO.
Yea both are bad but ive never heard of a tsunami in LA.let's just agree they both bad. But natural disasters ain't the point.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:16 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Angelspro View Post
I see your point but I'm from LA and trust me, people who are not from here exaggerate on our eqs. They are really weak news like maybe a 3.0 and we used to it. Big earthquajes are rare. But again, people exaggerate about us having eqs and make it seem like we have these gigantic killer eqs but we don't. A hurricane is worse IMO.
Yea both are bad but ive never heard of a tsunami in LA.let's just agree they both bad. But natural disasters ain't the point.
But not every hurricane is bad either. most go by without causing any damage. & just because LA hasn't had a bad one in awhile doesn't mean it won't happen, most scientists agree that LA is overdue for a huge quake. but yes they are both bad

Old 12-24-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
But not every hurricane is bad either. most go by without causing any damage. & just because LA hasn't had a bad one in awhile doesn't mean it won't happen, most scientists agree that LA is overdue for a huge quake. but yes they are both bad

I agree but scientists also thought doomsday was going to be 2012 but never happened. They also thought the world would have ended in 2000. You just can't believe all that b.s. But yea. Agreed. Both are nothing to brag about.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
In fairness to Miami, they do have more naked, face-eating cannibals, so there's that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City