Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 12:48 PM

137 posts, read 220,269 times

Advertisements

I am specifically talking about the core and not the entire city, that being said Houston has the least developed LRT/HRT, though at the moment it appears that Houston is the most dense one (not by much I might add), I believe the other cities will surpass Houston and be more dense in the core for the simple reason of zoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 12:51 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,130 times
[quote=JoninATX;31780829]So Raylber must not realize the transitioning that is happening with our downtowns here in Texas. Heck even downtown Austin could run up against ATL or Phoenix but this is ou
These numbers are not hard to check..if you bother to check that is..lol

Old 10-12-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyber View Post
I am specifically talking about the core and not the entire city, that being said Houston has the least developed LRT/HRT, though at the moment it appears that Houston is the most dense one (not by much I might add), I believe the other cities will surpass Houston and be more dense in the core for the simple reason of zoning.
While houston has the least develop it has a higher ridership than dart....that also being said houston 150000 pop within the a mile to mile and half.
350000.. within 5.. you ingore that houston core areas are growing as well
..new apts are being bulit at exposive rates.. rail is expanding..and so forth.. dispite you
r bias
Downtown houston alone is slated to add 2000 apt units over the next 2 yr.

Last edited by Truth713; 10-12-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 02:16 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Yeah we know why this thread was made.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:40 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah we know why this thread was made.
I think it is a pretty interesting discussion, whatever the intentions are.

Atlanta seems like it has the core with the most potential to be pretty urban, while I think Dallas and Houston can have less-urban-but-larger mid-density cores. Atlanta certainly has a huge head-start with the MARTA, plus having smaller city limits helps its chances of approaching 10k ppsm. But none of these cities will get the 10k ppsm anytime in our lifetimes - especially with the vast city limits of Dallas, Phoenix and Houston.

EDIT: Didn't realize it was just the core and not the entire city limits. I think Atlanta has the best core but Dallas and Houston both are going to be building fairly urban neighborhoods around their DT cores vs. Atlanta which has Downtown, Midtown surrounded mostly by very low density SFH neighborhoods.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Atlanta seems like it has the core with the most potential to be pretty urban, while I think Dallas and Houston can have less-urban-but-larger mid-density cores. Atlanta certainly has a huge head-start with the MARTA, plus having smaller city limits helps its chances of approaching 10k ppsm. But none of these cities will get the 10k ppsm anytime in our lifetimes - especially with the vast city limits of Dallas, Phoenix and Houston.

EDIT: Didn't realize it was just the core and not the entire city limits. I think Atlanta has the best core but Dallas and Houston both are going to be building fairly urban neighborhoods around their DT cores vs. Atlanta which has Downtown, Midtown surrounded mostly by very low density SFH neighborhoods.
I give the node to atl...reaching if first due to a much smaller core combined with a fast growing population

Old 10-12-2013, 03:24 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
While houston has the least develop it has a higher ridership than dart....that also being said houston 150000 pop within the a mile to mile and half.
350000.. within 5.. you ingore that houston core areas are growing as well
..new apts are being bulit at exposive rates.. rail is expanding..and so forth.. dispite you
r bias
Downtown houston alone is slated to add 2000 apt units over the next 2 yr.
Do you realize how puny that is? At best, that's an increase of 2,000 residents per year -- IF every new apartment had two people living in it! Meh ...

Little ol' Savannah, GA has 1,600 units under construction in the city RIGHT NOW. Just pointing out that "slated" don't mean a thang in the grand scheme.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:27 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Atlanta has much more walkable neighborhoods around it's core than Houston or Dallas does. Check walkscore.com. The greenish areas look much bigger than Houston around it's core. on the heat map.

http://www.walkscore.com/GA/Atlanta - Atlanta has 27 neighborhoods with 70+ walkscore.

http://www.walkscore.com/TX/Houston - Houston barely has 9 neighborhoods with 70+ walkscore. It's downtown doesn't even exceed 80 lol.

http://www.walkscore.com/TX/Dallas - Dallas has only 5 neighborhoods above 70+ walkscore, but has surprisingly has 90+ walkscore neighborhoods, though all 3 of them have a very, very low population.

http://www.walkscore.com/AZ/Phoenix - Phoenix has no neighborhoods above 70+ walkscore.

Atlanta has the most walkable and IMO urban core out of all four. The other cities have better city wide densities because they have a consistent density, while Atlanta's density is very very nodal.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
I give the node to atl...reaching if first due to a much smaller core combined with a fast growing population
Downtown and Midtown is like 3-4 miles North to South alone...Downtown is almost a mile wide....I wouldn't necessarily call that a small core...That length is just as long as the Financial District of Manhattan to the center of Midtown Manhattan.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:36 PM

137 posts, read 220,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Do you realize how puny that is?
I agree, and eventhough Houston is having a massive construction boom, how much of that is housing? How much of that is pedestrian friendly? Not to say that Houston isn't making strides in urbanity because it is but almost all of its housing is auto centric, limiting the ability to densify the city core that would create a need for future rail lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City