Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:38 PM

137 posts, read 220,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
yeah becasue clealry you dont know what auto cetric means..lol

It means designed around the automobile.. these where designed to put people close to the rail.. and given that mile for mile The rail has one of the highest riderships of it class ( rail ten miles or less) I would say its working..

Jane from uptown is not comiing all the way to DT to ride the rail , so who do you think the 38,000 a day people are who are riding it ????
I've seen this argument before, please spare me, only reason the numbers are good are because of the short distance and connecting 2 office parks and college for students and workers, let system expand and look at the riders per mile plummet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:41 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
The line does not currently go through one college in Houston. Yes it used heavily by workers and residents inside the loop. And? Who else should use it?

*edit* I think the current goes through Rice. I could be wrong.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:43 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyber View Post
Well either way the "let them build anything" attitude of Houston is what will prevent Houston from having a cohesive core the way Dallas and Atlanta are building their's due to zoning, until the zoning issue is addressed in Houston it will remain fragmented as ever.
Really beacause everthing we have presented shows a city that is slowly netting togther.. the rail has connected DT, Midtown, Herman park area, Medical District in ways they have never been all long their path they are business and highrasies and apt units going up ,Hell if the chicargo develpers have their way we may start to see office towers along the rail line outside of DT

The Greenline , Purple line will connect EADO, to Third ward, and The universities
As I have shown you in the link fill in has already ready started

Even Uptown ihas decided to launch their own BRT rather than wait for metro and it will run on one of the busest st in the area

So basicly everything you said has already be proven wrong

Old 10-12-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I've seen this argument before, please spare me, only reason the numbers are good are because of the short distance and connecting 2 office parks and college for students and workers, let system expand and look at the riders per mile plummet.
I dont know dallas has a much more expansive system , yet metro is still kicking it ass ???

Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The line does not currently go through one college in Houston. Yes it used heavily by workers and residents inside the loop. And? Who else should use it?
You caught that right.. First he aruged a lack of rail would hinder Houston Growth.. Now more rail would be a failure

Old 10-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
See he has caught himself in a tail spin... He has to keep changing his stance..

First he aruge that they would keep the area from deflying, now that I have shown that to be a lie..

He went off about how it would hinder rail..I showed that most contruction is ither on are close to the rail

Now its the garage,!! the garage!!! will kill density
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes he is focusing on the garage and now slowly focusing on the retail. All I see is deflecting. He is going to try to pull out all the stops to say something against the city. Anybody that saw his posts in the Texas forums could see his intentions a mile away.
No I am not backing off my density argument about Houston, the lack of zoning will hinder density in the city, there's an emphasis in cities like Atlanta and Dallas to build high density residential with first floor retail, so even though Houston might be having the largest building boom in the sunbelt right now it doesn't mean It's doing it right, even Spade said they're still building townhouses in the core of Houston, even walmart has build suburban walmarts in downtown Houston, something the other 2 cities wouldn't let walmart get away with.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
No I am not backing off my density argument about Houston, the lack of zoning will hinder density in the city, there's an emphasis in cities like Atlanta and Dallas to build high density residential with first floor retail, so even though Houston might be having the largest building boom in the sunbelt right now it doesn't mean It's doing it right, even Spade said they're still building townhouses in the core of Houston, even walmart has build suburban walmarts in downtown Houston, something the other 2 cities wouldn't let walmart get away with.
Let me break it down for you since you seem to be having a hard time

Townhomes right next to each other does not build desity????? Funny casue the one I am looking at as so pancake tight you can fart and your neighbor would know..Second they are not being build in the middle of nowhere, most of them are around centers with cafes, and stores, and small business.. which recreate a nice little urban area to hang out in

The other types of homes are the one I have listed with rail on the floor or adjected to the units, these are the ones with bar/ restraunts

Third ither model has lead to business opening in the areas, from bar/ to restaraunts to a varity of other things..

You keep making this arugment that it will impede this and that, yet the density is only increasing across the board

Forth their is no walmart in Downtown Houston ..dude.. you are thinking the heights which is not Downtown..

Old 10-12-2013, 08:00 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
...(slowly creeping out of this thread and taking Phoenix with me)...

Old 10-12-2013, 08:02 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
If you are talking about the walmart that's just inside the 610 loop, that is not downtown. There are no suburban wal marts in downtown Houston. Once again, you have lied. And I said they are building town homes in the neighborhoods surrounding downtown Houston. Just like every other city is doing or historically did in the nation. You also do realize that Dallas has a wal mart neighborhood store not very far from downtown.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Let me break it down for you since you seem to be having a hard time

Townhomes right next to each other does not build desity????? Funny casue the one I am looking at as so pancake tight you can fart and your neighbor would know..Second they are not being build in the middle of nowhere, most of them are around centers with cafes, and stores, and small business.. which recreate a nice little urban area to hang out in

The other types of homes are the one I have listed with rail on the floor or adjected to the units, these are the ones with bar/ restraunts

Third ither model has lead to business opening in the areas, from bar/ to restaraunts to a varity of other things..

You keep making this arugment that it will impede this and that, yet the density is only increasing across the board
Of course townhouses create density but not to the level a 10-20-30 story building would correct? I'm not arguing that the core of Houston will never see 10,000 + ppsm as I'm sure it will, but I am arguing that cities like Atlanta and Dallas that use better planning and zoning will create a better utilized use of land in the core giving those cities more density and a more lively downtown core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City