Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times

Advertisements

Which city do you think is better? Consider the following factors:
-Nightlife
-Cuisine
-People
-Scenery
-Weather
-Culture
-Walkability/public transportation
-Diversity

Besides weather, I choose Toronto for just about everything. Scenery is a toss up, I think.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:04 PM

Another thing to keep in mind: both are alpha world cities.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:26 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
Nightlife - Toronto
Cuisine - Toronto
People - Toronto
Scenery - Toronto
Weather - Philadelphia
Culture - Toronto has the edge, but they tie for fine arts and Philly has much more history
Walkability/public transportation - I would guess Toronto, but there are a bunch of problems with the TTC and I haven't used Philly's transit really at all
Diversity - Toronto obviously

Old 10-14-2013, 01:56 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Philly would be the better city if only it didn't have so much crime and poverty which resulted in so many gorgeous neighborhoods falling to urban blight.

I give this one to Toronto.
Philly has greater potential, however.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Philadelphia all the way.Its got soul and character

Crime-Toronto
Scenery-Philadelphia.Rivers,lush landscape.Great scenic neighborhoods like Bryn Mar, Villanova,The Main Line
Economy-Philadelphia.Larger GDP more diversified economy/
Culture-Philadelphia . Cheesesteaks,Museums like the Rodin Museum and a great Touch It Discovery Museum for Children
Education-Philadelphia.Top notch universities.Drexel,Lasalle.U Penn,Temple,St.Joesephs to name a few.
History-Philadelphia
Parks-Fairmont Park and the wooded lush terrrain throughout the city
Architecture-Phily.From Colonial,Federal and other styles including some modern.
Walk ability-Tie
Pub lic Transit-Philly/Its got streetcars,a subway,commuter rail and mre people ride it and it covers more areas
Nightlife-Philly.Toronto's nightlife is ok but South Street is better.Their is also a strong "speakeasy" culture in Philly. Neighborhood bars also.
People are a tie.Neither are the most friendliest nor or they bad.Just people.
Diversity-Tie but Philly is better intergrated.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM

331 posts, read 592,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Philly would be the better city if only it didn't have so much crime and poverty which resulted in so many gorgeous neighborhoods falling to urban blight.

I give this one to Toronto.
Philly has greater potential, however.
Toronto easily.

Philly has greater potential not so sure about that.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
This is a tough one. Two very very different cities. Lately Toronto is about the highrise. Philadelphia is more about charming colonial rowhome streets and highrises are only built out of necessity. Most of the city still has strict heights limits INCLUDING neighborhoods in Center City (Philadelphia's downtown). A lot of the new construction in the city is lowrise/rowhome neighborhoods, although there is a significant number of highrises under construction/planned, it is nothing like Toronto's current boom. It's really a matter of preference.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
This is a tough one. Two very very different cities. Lately Toronto is about the highrise. Philadelphia is more about charming colonial rowhome streets and highrises are only built out of necessity. Most of the city still has strict heights limits INCLUDING neighborhoods in Center City (Philadelphia's downtown). A lot of the new construction in the city is lowrise/rowhome neighborhoods, although there is a significant number of highrises under construction/planned, it is nothing like Toronto's current boom. It's really a matter of preference.
I think that's a good overview. Development does definitely play a role in the character of these cities. Philadelphia is arguably the largest "human-scaled" city in the US, which provides the city with a very intimate, pedestrian-oriented environment. It's just a different type of city that tends to value preservation over "new and shiny," whenever possible.

Toronto looks fascinating, and I know it's really booming to become "Canada's Manhattan," although I presume it may be more comparable to Chicago.

Overall, I think you can find fantastic big-city amenities in both cities, but Philadelphia would be more for someone who enjoys Montreal over Toronto.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 PM

@Afonega, how is Cheesesteaks in the 'culture' category? LOL

Duderino, I think that Toronto was more similar to NYC than Chicago. Just because it's on the lake doesn't mean it's more similar to Chi-town.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:40 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Philadelphia all the way.Its got soul and character

Crime-Toronto
Scenery-Philadelphia.Rivers,lush landscape.Great scenic neighborhoods like Bryn Mar, Villanova,The Main Line
Economy-Philadelphia.Larger GDP more diversified economy/
Culture-Philadelphia . Cheesesteaks,Museums like the Rodin Museum and a great Touch It Discovery Museum for Children
Education-Philadelphia.Top notch universities.Drexel,Lasalle.U Penn,Temple,St.Joesephs to name a few.
History-Philadelphia
Parks-Fairmont Park and the wooded lush terrrain throughout the city
Architecture-Phily.From Colonial,Federal and other styles including some modern.
Walk ability-Tie
Pub lic Transit-Philly/Its got streetcars,a subway,commuter rail and mre people ride it and it covers more areas
Nightlife-Philly.Toronto's nightlife is ok but South Street is better.Their is also a strong "speakeasy" culture in Philly. Neighborhood bars also.
People are a tie.Neither are the most friendliest nor or they bad.Just people.
Diversity-Tie but Philly is better intergrated.
Haha Your Toronto hate is sooooo obvious here.

Just so you know, Toronto also has streetcars (and a much larger network at that), subways and commuter rail and has a FAR larger ridership than Philly. As for diversity, you can't be serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City