Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities would you rather live in as a college student?
SF/Bay Area 13 14.44%
Chicago 19 21.11%
New York 15 16.67%
Boston 21 23.33%
Other (Please Specify) 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:03 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
You can't be serious. Even if I studied 40 hrs. a week, I'd still have free time. What do you want me to do in Nebraska? Stare at the Locust? Big Cities are great places for education because as UrbanCheetah said internships. Education means nothing if not implemented into society. In big Cities you can implement what you learn, make money, pay back debts, and not be bored out of your mind.

The real reason for going to college is to get work. These cities are centers for employment.

Also, a lot of these places are awful for minorities. I would never attend Mercer University, Sewanee etc, because of the old racist attitude that still surrounds these places. Trust me I've visited Mercer, and never again. The Big Cities (with the exception of Boston) are great places for anyone to attend college.

I do believe Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Austin should be added as they are all great places for internships, with a low cost of living, diversity, and good culture.
Agreed. I went to undergrad in Chicago, worked for two major architecture firms and also a magazine. Then went to grad school in Urbana Champaign and the only jobs I could get were front desk at a gym and cutting fabric at a fabric store. If anything going to a school in a college town backtracked my career.

I agree on the minority part as well. Or even if you are an urban raised person. I grew up in the city of Chicago and I am used to the diversity in people, food, things to do etc. When I went to Urbana I was miserable. Every single aspect of my life felt like it was downgraded and I was a little uncomfortable as its a very homogenous environment. People born and raised in major cities tend not to be happy in those small town environments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 03:40 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times
Out of those 4 I would go to Chicago. It offers big city amenities but the cost of living is rather moderate compared to the others. As a student with a tight budget that's definitely a plus. I also like the Midwest.
Chicago's not my favorite though, I would much prefer a smaller college town, such as Madison, WI oder Ann Arbor.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:04 PM

11 posts, read 18,439 times
I went to school in Boston, and out of your list, it is definitely the biggest college town. But I will say, if you're considering going to college there, make sure there are plenty of activities available on campus. The one thing people need to know about going to school here is that there is absolutely NOTHING to do in Boston if you're not 21. Even the bowling alleys are 21+. Also, it is very, very expensive. For the prices you would pay to live in Boston, you would be better off in New York where your options are limitless.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
Boston. It has by far the best collection of universities and it offers both a big city feel and college town feel.

I'd put Chicago and SF above Boston if their best universities weren't so far removed from the city. NYC in my opinion is a much better place to be after college than during.

Last edited by jayp1188; 10-21-2013 at 02:27 AM..

Old 10-21-2013, 11:36 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Boston. It has by far the best collection of universities and it offers both a big city feel and college town feel.

I'd put Chicago and SF above Boston if their best universities weren't so far removed from the city. NYC in my opinion is a much better place to be after college than during.
I definitely agree about Boston's collection of universities being unparalleled, but aren't the best universities in the Boston metro in the suburbs though? Harvard, MIT, and Tufts, for example. Boston College, Boston University, and Northeastern are all way up there as well, but a school like Harvard is usually the first thing I think of when the Boston area comes to mind.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:06 PM

349 posts, read 573,391 times
Its only about a 10 minute ride from Harvard to downtown Boston on rapid transit. MIT is a 5 minute walk from the back bay.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I definitely agree about Boston's collection of universities being unparalleled, but aren't the best universities in the Boston metro in the suburbs though? Harvard, MIT, and Tufts, for example. Boston College, Boston University, and Northeastern are all way up there as well, but a school like Harvard is usually the first thing I think of when the Boston area comes to mind.
But Harvard and MIT, while in the burbs, are very close to the core due to Boston's geography.

To compare via Chicago, Harvard and MIT are the same distance to downtown Boston as Wicker Park is to downtown Chicago.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:38 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
Its only about a 10 minute ride from Harvard to downtown Boston on rapid transit. MIT is a 5 minute walk from the back bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
But Harvard and MIT, while in the burbs, are very close to the core due to Boston's geography.

To compare via Chicago, Harvard and MIT are the same distance to downtown Boston as Wicker Park is to downtown Chicago.
Ah, this makes far more sense then.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Better to go to college in a small college town. "OTHER"

Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
I would take any of the four, but if I must choose I'd go with NYC. Granted, I think it's just the best place to experience everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City