Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities would you rather live in as a college student?
SF/Bay Area 13 14.44%
Chicago 19 21.11%
New York 15 16.67%
Boston 21 23.33%
Other (Please Specify) 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 AM

484 posts, read 883,158 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear some input on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Well, I went to school in Staten Island, so I experienced living in NYC as a college student (even though to me, a New Jerseyan, SI is technically NYC but "the city" is Manhattan). It was pretty great. Staten Island has a ferry that runs 24/7 to and from lower Manhattan for free and my school offered a free shuttle to bring us down to the ferry, so I got into Manhattan for free whenever I wanted to. That was a huge plus. Of course, getting on the subway is a metro card swipe but considering, coming from NJ, that I usually take the train into NYC which costs a small fortune, getting there for free via the SI Ferry was nice. Especially being a college student low on funds.

I went to a college with A LOT (I really mean a lot) of kids from everywhere. In one class, I remember I had a girl from South Korea, a guy from western Canada, and a guy from the Czech Republic in it with me. In another, I had a couple of girls from France and in another a guy from England and a guy from Russia. People from all over the country, particularly CA actually, went to my school. I knew people from Oregon, Texas, California, Florida, Alabama, West Virginia, Hawaii, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Alaska, and more local states like of course NY, NJ, CT, PA, MA, ME, VT, etc. What drew people in was the fact that it was New York. They wanted to move to NYC for school to experience living in the city or at least going to Manhattan very often, as part of daily life. They wanted internships, particularly in theatre and finance, in NYC because of the obvious opportunities and higher chances of success. NYC is nothing special to me since I grew up 20 miles away, it's simply what I'm used to, but to these people from all around the country and world it was literally a whole new life and so many of them stayed in the city and got jobs in the area. I think NYC is a city college students choose because of the chance to be young and experience life within it. There is so much to do, and it's such a 'growing up' city, you know, so cliche for people to move to New York but in my experiences it is true - quite a few people choose New York City for college for what it offers, as far as jobs, opportunities, connections, hobbies, arts, etc, from all over. And I went to a school on SI - not even a school like NYU right in Manhattan.

When choosing schools, I was stuck between my school on Staten Island and a school on the Jersey Shore. I am so glad I chose NYC because of the opportunities it gave me, and I really branched out, visiting the city often, getting to know it really well, and meeting people from all over. For me, NYC worked great as a college city. Sorry if it's a bit long, but since I experienced it I figured I'd share everything I could.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:41 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Nyc.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,825,478 times
Boston. I would pick Boston. Then Chicago. The COL is so high in NYC and the Bay Area that I wouldnt recommend it for a college student.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 PM

23,547 posts, read 24,049,201 times
SF Bay Area attending Stanford or Cal (UC Berkeley).

Old 10-18-2013, 05:09 AM

Jerseygirl415, interesting points. As I'm trying to decide where to transfer to I'll keep those things in mind. I do want to experience the big city life!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:35 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,283 times
My very top choice for Grad School in a year and a half is Boston University, here's hoping! I had considered NYC, but that CoL always stops me....

Old 10-18-2013, 05:51 AM

How much different is the CoL in Boston than NYC?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:15 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,213,227 times
None of the above. Either LA or Toronto for me, and I do enjoy going to college in New Orleans as well.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:48 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,825,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
How much different is the CoL in Boston than NYC?
Significant enough, but Boston is not cheap either.but definitely more cheap than NYC and SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City