Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
New York City 64 83.12%
Los Angeles 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:34 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodward1 View Post
I'm almost 100% certain this is wrong. NYC is almost certainly the most iconic city on the globe.

Beverly Hills is very well known but not similarly iconic, and many don't even associate it with LA.
I didnt say NYC, I said 'Manhattan'

Now that I think about it. Hollywood, Beverly Hills & Malibu are probably more world famous place names than any NYC subgeographies, which is very interesting.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodward1 View Post
He said it was more iconic than NYC. Obviously then LA has to be the most iconic city on earth (because NYC is probably the closest thing on earth to a world capital).

I think LA is very, very iconic, but nowhere near NYC, and it's kind of conflated with Hollywood/Beverly Hills/California/Disney with very fuzzy boundarids (like- is Disney an LA thing or a California thing, and where is Beverly Hills, and what is Hollywood in relation to LA; that kind of thing). Everyone knows all these things are in California, but it is isn't clear what's what, and where everything sits in relation to everything else.
lol one thing I know is that outside of the US, nobody refers to NYC as the 'capital of the world'--it makes me cringe when Americans say things lke that.

Imagine the looks if one walked around the streets of Ginza with a sign that said 'Hey Tokyo, NYC is the capital of the world'...hahahaha

Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, Im pretty certain that Beverly Hills is more world famous geographic area than Manhattan--this is my expreience having been all over the world. Remember Im not talking about power or influence, just name recognition. Everyone and their momma knows about Beverly Hills-the image is very sharply defined: Superrich area of Los Angeles with mansions and celebrities, whereas I might have to explain that Manhattan is the NY borough where all the skyscrapers and Central Park are located.

Come on dude really? How old are you? What planet do you live on? Beverly hills and I'll put it bluntly since I lived near there is nothing but some rich houses, hills, and even some slums. It doesn't even have more people than a small street in Manhattan. And you say that it is more famous than the most famous borough in the world? Wake up! That's all I'll say. Your delusion is scary to be quite honest. Every one and there momma knows about Beverly Hills? More so than Manhattan? Hmm, ok buddy sure.

Yeah, and celebrities don't live in Manhattan. What's your fascination with celebrities. Who gives two sh ts about overpaid premadonna's. In the real world, heck in LA, you will see very few celebrities, unless you go to one of their lame events. LA is a functioning city just like any other city in the U.S. Except that it has a he ll of a lot more Mexicans. I rarely seen celebrities when I lived in LA. Actually, I think that I've seen more per rate in NYC than in LA. But I digress. Celebrities are nothing to me. Los Angeles for those that really know is actually pretty darn blue collar.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
lol one thing I know is that outside of the US, nobody refers to NYC as the 'capital of the world'--it makes me cringe when Americans say things lke that.

Imagine the looks if one walked around the streets of Ginza with a sign that said 'Hey Tokyo, NYC is the capital of the world'...hahahaha

You're right, because you and your delusional LA is~

If I call LA the capital of the world, will you take a class on history and learn something?

Now, I am totally convinced that you need help.

I could easily have you hurt yourself. I could show some people some pics of your precious Beverly hills and you would be off looking for a rope to hang yourself.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:49 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
I didnt say NYC, I said 'Manhattan'

Now that I think about it. Hollywood, Beverly Hills & Malibu are probably more world famous place names than any NYC subgeographies, which is very interesting.
Not a sub-geography, but Wall Street might be as famous as Hollywood.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:52 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,635 times
Just so everybody knows....Beverly Hills has 0 slums.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Just so everybody knows....Beverly Hills has 0 slums.
Oh no. They have bad neighborhoods. You and I both know that. Don't lie. They might not be considered "slums" per se', but bad yes. Just for the record.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:54 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Come on dude really? How old are you? What planet do you live on? Beverly hills and I'll put it bluntly since I lived near there is nothing but some rich houses, hills, and even some slums. It doesn't even have more people than a small street in Manhattan. And you say that it is more famous than the most famous borough in the world? Wake up! That's all I'll say. Your delusion is scary to be quite honest. Every one and there momma knows about Beverly Hills? More so than Manhattan? Hmm, ok buddy sure.

Yeah, and celebrities don't live in Manhattan. What's your fascination with celebrities. Who gives two sh ts about overpaid premadonna's. In the real world, heck in LA, you will see very few celebrities, unless you go to one of their lame events. LA is a functioning city just like any other city in the U.S. Except that it has a he ll of a lot more Mexicans. I rarely seen celebrities when I lived in LA. Actually, I think that I've seen more per rate in NYC than in LA. But I digress. Celebrities are nothing to me. Los Angeles for those that really know is actually pretty darn blue collar.
Nothing in your rant really has much to do with how famous Beverly Hills and Hollywood are. Yes both areas are not really like their world-wide perception. But the fact that they have such a strong world-wide perception speaks to how instantly recognizable both are.

And actually I do agree with a lot of your post, just don't think it is all that good of a rebuttal to the discussion at hand.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Nothing in your rant really has much to do with how famous Beverly Hills and Hollywood are. Yes both areas are not really like their world-wide perception. But the fact that they have such a strong world-wide perception speaks to how instantly recognizable both are.

And actually I do agree with a lot of your post, just don't think it is all that good of a rebuttal to the discussion at hand.

Thanks, but I know this might be hard to understand, but I could give two sh ts weather or not you agree with me. I don't even know you. But thanks for thinking so highly of yourself.

I will say this though, the perception of those places definitely outshines the reality. That I will agree with.

And p.s. Learn the difference between facts and a rant.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:09 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Oh no. They have bad neighborhoods. You and I both know that. Don't lie. They might not be considered "slums" per se', but bad yes. Just for the record.
Please locate me to these bad neighborhoods...Which cross streets? What area exactly? What makes them bad neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City