Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
New York City 64 83.12%
Los Angeles 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 03:50 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I never said otherwise. All I ever said was that even Beverly hills has slums. Then I retracted that and said you wouldn't exactly call them slums. But I've seen streets that weren't nice with my own eyes. Might not be many, but they are there. Beverly hills also runs into some slightly sketchy areas. Almost every area of the world has some bad with the good.

I don't know why we are making this about Beverly Hills anyway. This is about NYC vs LA. Not one neighborhood all by itself vs whatever.

This is what you Cali people want, because NYC is winning this by a landslide. And this is just a way to deflect all of the ignorant statements made by some regarding how important Hollywood/ Beverly hills/
etc are compared to places like Brooklyn.

Let's get back on topic.
NYC>LA....on a a lot of things. LA does have some advantages that NYC lacks. To me...I'm glad they are so different. Could you imagine LA being all built up and dense/crowded like NYC from DTLA to the Ocean? If LA were like NYC it would just make life so much more boring.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
You listen up. I don't care how much you whine and cry. BH has some undesirable neighborhoods. They might be adjacent to other areas, but they are there. So go whine to someone else about how perfect your little smog filled paradise is. I never said sh t about Glendale being anything remotely like BH, so I don't even know what your yapping about. Oh, so everything isn't uber rich in BH. Gee, you can admit that? I'm surprised. And like I didn't already know that!

Hmm, 35-7, I guess when one city gets five times as many votes. That says it right there. Will NYC get to fifty before LA gets to 10? That's the real question at this point.
Again...Find me where the "undesirable" Neighborhoods in BH are. Just give me any evidence and you win this argument. It could be a simple picture from Google Earth or apt prices or housing prices.

You said, "Glendale isn't exactly Beverly Hills". What does that even mean? Why would you say that when they are on opposite sides of the city.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I agree, I was just picking out the worst looking parts of Beverly Hills. I agree they are pretty solidly middle class (of course for CA that means upper-class elsewhere). No matter what you call them, they certainly are not slums, or bad neighborhoods.
or middle-class for Long Island standards. Well upper-middle class. By median income, Beverly Hills isn't exceptionally wealthy.

Median Household Income: $86k/year
Median Family Income: $115k/year

Not really any different than the nicer parts of the area of Long Island I grew up. Beverly Hills has a really high mean, but it appears it's skewed by a very rich part up in the hills. The large Iranian and very large Jewish community of Beverly Hills sounds interesting (making more interesting than its image IMO), but in popular perception it's portrayed as little more than a celebrity community.

Beverly Hills is 38% foreign born, of which 68% is from Asia (Iran?).

Old 10-31-2013, 03:57 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Again...Find me where the "undesirable" Neighborhoods in BH are. Just give me any evidence and you win this argument. It could be a simple picture from Google Earth or apt prices or housing prices.

You said, "Glendale isn't exactly Beverly Hills". What does that even mean? Why would you say that when they are on opposite sides of the city.

Look, I'm not going to keep circling this same argument with you. I've already stated what I meant numerous times. You either get what I'm saying or you don't. I'm not into repeating myself five hundred times. Go back and read my post. Maybe you'll find what you are looking for, and maybe you won't.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Look, I'm not going to keep circling this same argument with you. I've already stated what I meant numerous times. You either get what I'm saying or you don't. I'm not into repeating myself fife hundred times. Go back and read my post. Maybe you'll find what you are looking for, and maybe you won't.
Your right, I don't get it cause you are wrong and deeply confusing bad/sketchy neighborhoods with some other definition.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:01 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Very interesting responses so far. In my last thread with Chicago vs Los Angeles it was completely lopsided in the favor of Los Angeles, people said Chicago couldn't compete. In this one, it's completely lopsided in New York's favor and Los Angeles doesn't even come close.

Tell me, do the big 3 have no rivals? No other American city comes close to New York City, just as no other American city comes close to Los Angeles, just as no other American city comes close to Chicago? Are they all in a league by their own?

Old 10-31-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Very interesting responses so far. In my last thread with Chicago vs Los Angeles it was completely lopsided in the favor of Los Angeles, people said Chicago couldn't compete. In this one, it's completely lopsided in New York's favor and Los Angeles doesn't even come close.

Tell me, do the big 3 have no rivals? No other American city comes close to New York City, just as no other American city comes close to Los Angeles, just as no other American city comes close to Chicago? Are they all in a league by their own?
Yes, They are all great cities that each have their own advantages. I'd live in all three if I had the chance.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
NYC>LA....on a a lot of things. LA does have some advantages that NYC lacks. To me...I'm glad they are so different. Could you imagine LA being all built up and dense/crowded like NYC from DTLA to the Ocean? If LA were like NYC it would just make life so much more boring.
I'm not sure the NYC style would suit it, but I can imagine something more like a giant San Francisco pretty easy instead of mostly auto centric Los Angeles, or imagine the build style of Santa Monica being much bigger than it is. There are many ways LA could have bone but they are correcting a lot of that stuff as we speak.

Last edited by grapico; 10-31-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 04:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Nothing in your rant really has much to do with how famous Beverly Hills and Hollywood are. Yes both areas are not really like their world-wide perception. But the fact that they have such a strong world-wide perception speaks to how instantly recognizable both are.
which is why I don't think Los Angeles is as iconic. People know the names but not really any image of the actual place.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

I think so, though I think the gap between Chicago and Los Angeles is closer than the gap between New York City and Los Angeles (city-only). On the other hand I do think Metro Los Angeles and Metro New York are closer than Metro Los Angeles and Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City