Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is best for nature?
NYC 11 11.11%
Chicago 6 6.06%
DC 9 9.09%
Boston 22 22.22%
Detroit 4 4.04%
Minneapolis 38 38.38%
Other 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
those are nowhere near the size of mountains a similar distance from Boston.
I know they aren't, but they are still officially considered mountains, so I though it relevant to post the link. Still, the Sawtooth Mts. do look pretty mountain-like due to the steepness of some of the sides. They are also good for skiing, there are several good, regionally famous resorts up there, such as Lutsen and Giants Ridge. Also, the plus of the Sawtooth mountains is that not only are they pretty prominent mountains for their height, they are located directly adjacent to Lake Superior, so the contrast can be pretty dramatic (not to mention scenic).

Some better pictures:

File:Mt. Josephine.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://rontrenda.files.wordpress.com...and-marais.jpg

File:Sawtooth Mountains.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:Superior National Forest - Copy.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Also, Minneapolis has the bluffs of the driftless zone directly to the Southeast, which is definitely not flat land.
What's at Stake

John Latsch State Park - Winona - Reviews of John Latsch State Park - TripAdvisor (click on the photo)

Hatlem Photography | Coulees and Bluffs | Mississippi River Fog, La Crescent MN
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:39 PM

317 posts, read 378,117 times
Minneapolis has got nothing on Boston and New York regarding mountains. I don't think I would be wrong to say any scenes I can get in Lake Superior 4 hours away from Mpls I can get better even in the Hudson Highlands.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
I have lived in Boston and Minneapolis.

Boston has the ocean and real mountains/forest nearby, but....Boston residents as a whole do not tend to enjoy outdoor activities as much as those in Minneapolis do. For example: many Minneapolis residents enjoy ice fishing, snowmobiling, and hunting. You will even find a rather large number of people who also enjoy skiing and snowboarding. And hanging out at one of the lakes is a very big deal, too. Then of course there is the always "going up North". It seems that everyone and their uncle has a cabin "up north".

If the average Bostonian even thinks about leaving the city, it is usually to "vacation on the Cape", go to Martha's Vineyard, or up to Maine's largest city; 9 times out of 10 just to sit in a bar.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:00 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Within about 3 hours of Boston:

White Mountains

Maine

Cape Cod.

Yup, that's a whale!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:01 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Boston has the ocean and real mountains/forest nearby, but....Boston residents as a whole do not tend to enjoy outdoor activities as much as those in Minneapolis do. For example: many Minneapolis residents enjoy ice fishing, snowmobiling, and hunting. You will even find a rather large number of people who also enjoy skiing and snowboarding. And hanging out at one of the lakes is a very big deal, too. Then of course there is the always "going up North". It seems that everyone and their uncle has a cabin "up north".

If the average Bostonian even thinks about leaving the city, it is usually to "vacation on the Cape", go to Martha's Vineyard, or up to Maine's largest city; 9 times out of 10 just to sit in a bar.
Poppycock!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Ocean container ships do not go on the great lakes though, the few larger ones that go from place to place on the great lakes can not get out to the ocean. If they really functioned like a sea, then Chicago would be a port city like Houston, Mobile, New Orleans, Tampa, etc. , but it isn't. So I'd say they function like very large lakes, there just aren't many other ones to compare it to, there are a few in Russian and Lake Victoria in Africa.
I honestly don't know where to start here, there's constantly so much misinformation from this poster. First of all, Chicago is the furthest reach in the Great Lakes and has never served as a port in the way that many other cities have; the Great Lakes actually have bigger ships than the ocean goers: 1000-Footers Page - Great Lakes Ship Photos

Here are the 15 biggest ports on the Great Lakes (Chicago is not one of them): Great Lakes Ports & Shipping

Lake Michigan (the 3rd biggest Great Lake, unless combined with Lake Huron) isn't comparable in size to the biggest seas in the world, sure, but the Great Lakes contain about a quarter of the fresh water on Planet Earth, so let's not kid ourselves - they are far more similar to the Black Sea than Lake Minnetonka like you are suggesting.

I'm glad that you've finally ventured more than an hour away from Chicago now - last time I was here discussing nature surrounding Chicago quite a while back you denied that the Driftless even existed, had not been to Door County or the Wisconsin northwoods, etc. So......that's progress I suppose.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:16 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Ocean container ships do not go on the great lakes though, the few larger ones that go from place to place on the great lakes can not get out to the ocean. If they really functioned like a sea, then Chicago would be a port city like Houston, Mobile, New Orleans, Tampa, etc. , but it isn't. So I'd say they function like very large lakes, there just aren't many other ones to compare it to, there are a few in Russian and Lake Victoria in Africa.
Duluth Seaway Port Authority | Port of Duluth-Superior

Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
First of all, Chicago is the furthest reach in the Great Lakes and has never served as a port in the way that many other cities have; the Great Lakes actually have bigger ships than the ocean goers: 1000-Footers Page - Great Lakes Ship Photos

Here are the 15 biggest ports on the Great Lakes (Chicago is not one of them): Great Lakes Ports & Shipping
Actually, the Chicago area has more than one port, several are in the industrial zones of NW Indiana. (your link simply listed "some of the larger ports include")

According to this, the largest ports in the country .....
List of ports in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

35. Port of Chicago
40. Indiana Harbor
55. Port of Indiana-Burns Harbor
59. Port of Gary

So, 4 of the nation's 60 largest ports are in the Chicago area.

Total tonnage is 61,000,000, enough if it were a single port it would be tenth largest in the country. Also, it turns out that 29 of the 100 largest ports are in the Midwest. Landlocked my a*s

Old 01-28-2014, 03:48 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:

It's hard to make a claim like without stats. Sure plenty of people from the Boston area head down to the Cape and Islands from May through October. But plenty of us also head up north to ski/snowboard/snow mobile, etc. Look at the parking lots of the mountains in NH, Vermont, or Maine and you're sure to see tons of Massachusetts plates.

Without hard facts, it;s hard to claim people in Minneapolis enjoy the outdoors during winter better than those in Boston.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Boston has the ocean and real mountains/forest nearby, but....Boston residents as a whole do not tend to enjoy outdoor activities as much as those in Minneapolis do. For example: many Minneapolis residents enjoy ice fishing, snowmobiling, and hunting. You will even find a rather large number of people who also enjoy skiing and snowboarding.
I think it'd easier to find Boston residents that enjoy skiing and snowboarding than snowmobiling, hunting or ice fishing. Snowmobiling and hunting sound more like activities rural residents would engage in more, and ice fishing sound like it might be a Minnesota thing, haven't heard much of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City