Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is best for nature?
NYC 11 11.11%
Chicago 6 6.06%
DC 9 9.09%
Boston 22 22.22%
Detroit 4 4.04%
Minneapolis 38 38.38%
Other 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah, I would go with that, my initial post was more considering just the city propers. DC is close to Shenandoah and WV mountains.
Haven't been to those, but the Whites are significantly larger than those (see my photos), which is why I'd put Boston clearly ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Haven't been to those, but the Whites are significantly larger than those (see my photos), which is why I'd put Boston clearly ahead.

I'd definitely put Boston over DC for nature in proximity.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah, I would go with that, my initial post was more considering just the city propers. DC is close to Shenandoah and WV mountains at their peaks approaching 5000 and 3000 foot elevation and prominence respectively. NYC and Boston hit better and prettier elevation faster. What the greater New England area lacks is mind blowing vistas like Yosemite, Tahoe, Big Sur, Mt Shasta, etc. A lot of the other nature would fit in pretty nicely.
Agreed. Those in the west are probably laughing at this thread, thinking its almost splitting hairs. The Northeast may win with nature/scenery/outdoor recreation, but coming from the midwest I wouldn't move to the northeast from the midwest to experience its nature. While the proximity to mountains, and ubuiquitous hills are a plus, the forest types are largely the same deciduous forests in the midwest (mostly). The west blows out the east in terms of variety of ecosystems and landscapes.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:48 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Why thankfully??
Why not?

Old 11-06-2013, 02:58 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Agreed. Those in the west are probably laughing at this thread, thinking its almost splitting hairs. The Northeast may win with nature/scenery/outdoor recreation, but coming from the midwest I wouldn't move to the northeast from the midwest to experience its nature. While the proximity to mountains, and ubuiquitous hills are a plus, the forest types are largely the same deciduous forests in the midwest (mostly). The west blows out the east in terms of variety of ecosystems and landscapes.
Perhaps, but who cares what the Westerners think. They have their own version of nature/scenery/outdoor recreation and we in the Eastern half of the country have ours. It's phenomenal over there in the West, but it's really nothing to lose sleep over honestly. Not taking a shot at you or anything, I'm just saying is all.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:34 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Why not?
In what way do Chicagoans disinterest in the outdoors benefit you? Thats why I was curious about "thankfully". Maybe because you'r not interested, and you don't have to deal with peoples' whose interest are not your own? Thats fine and makes sense.

I have little interest in following sports, and LA is not as huge a sports city, and I like that.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:48 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
I was never trying to make as big of deal out of the Lake Michigan issue as it ended up being, as I was just responding top this post regarding what defines a better requirement to be a better "lake city" (scenery wise), having one massive lake and shoreline, much of which is bordered by cement seawalls, or many small lakes in the city surrounded by real forests.

I was responding to this post:

Quote:
The lake category? Chicago is not only on a bigger better "lake" but beaches much closer to downtown that beat out both. The beaches from downtown Boston are further out compared to Chicago's despite being on the coast. Why waste time driving when you can actually walk to the beach from your condo with a better view of a bigger "skyline" and "waterfront".

Now Minneapolis may have more small lakes but are no match for Chicago's Lake Michigan. It's one thing if Minneapolis were one of the great lakes cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland etc. but it's not. Cities would kill to have this near their downtown. Downtown beach cities like Miami Beach, Honolulu and Chicago are lucky to have this within walking distance.
Besides, in the post Chicago's shoreline is compared to that of Miami and Honolulu. I didn't just start the whole "functionality of a sea" thing without a reason. Nor did I bring it up.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
In what way do Chicagoans disinterest in the outdoors benefit you? Thats why I was curious about "thankfully". Maybe because you'r not interested, and you don't have to deal with peoples' whose interest are not your own? Thats fine and makes sense.

I have little interest in following sports, and LA is not as huge a sports city, and I like that.
Yes.

I've met a group of people from here who didn't know Toronto had a hockey team.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:38 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Okay so you're a nature lover. I'm not exactly. That's the difference Tex. Nature to me is just another thing that's supposed to be there to look pretty in the back, not something I'm going out of my way and time to explore. Does it mean that I hate wildlife and nature? No, I think everyone should experience the wilderness at least once a decade at the least.

I just like a place for street level. Buzzing, millions of people around, big city with big problems, lots of stuff, lots of lights, buildings, such. Scenery to me is like a stage prop, something to make it all come together better, but really not necessary or relevant day to day.
Quote:
LOL. What?

I would be avoiding a drive to what was considered as recent as 6 years ago "no cell signal" territory.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post

Besides, in the post Chicago's shoreline is compared to that of Miami and Honolulu. I didn't just start the whole "functionality of a sea" thing without a reason. Nor did I bring it up.
Yeah, no worries. I definitely have a problem with it being compared to Miami and Honolulu, it is not the first time lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City