Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is best for nature?
NYC 11 11.11%
Chicago 6 6.06%
DC 9 9.09%
Boston 22 22.22%
Detroit 4 4.04%
Minneapolis 38 38.38%
Other 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:36 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised to see Minneapolis winning, but I've heard that the water is really incorporated into the lifestyle there-probably more than NYC even though NYC is technically on the Atlantic Ocean. I mean, who builds public housing complexes and mental health centers on the oceanfront beside NYC?

I would give this to Boston with the Mountains/Vermont/New Hampshire/Cape Cod but I would not place NYC or DC over Philly. Even though Philadelphia does not lie on the Ocean it is very accessible (less than 2 Hours) to all the beaches in New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland (including Assateague with wild horses) as well as The Poconos, Amish Country and closer to the prettiest part of the East Coast IMO (The Appalacians/Great Smoky Mountain and Blue Ridge Parkway). The Wissahickon in NW Philly is also my favorite city park. DC and Baltimore are too far from Beaches but closer to nicer mountains.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 11-07-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm surprised to see Minneapolis winning, but I've heard that the water is really incorporated into the lifestyle there-probably more than NYC even though NYC is technically on the Atlantic Ocean. I mean, who builds public housing complexes and mental health centers on the oceanfront beside NYC?

I would give this to Boston with the Mountains/Vermont/New Hampshire/Cape Cod but I would not place NYC or DC over Philly. Even though Philadelphia does not lie on the Ocean it is very accessible (less than 2 Hours) to all the beaches in New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland (including Assateague with wild horses) as well as The Poconos, Amish Country and closer to the prettiest part of the East Coast IMO (The Appalacians/Great Smoky Mountain and Blue Ridge Parkway). The Wissahickon in NW Philly is also my favorite city park. DC and Baltimore are too far from Beaches but closer to nicer mountains.
I've lived in DC/Bos/Philly/NYC and married a girl from Mpls, so have been there a lot.

As far as within city limits goes, I'd say Mpls really has a lot going on with its lakes and parks. Outdoor activities are more part-and-parcel of city life than in eastern cities with just a one or two major parks. Outside the city, there's plenty of fishing, some hunting, snowmobiling, boating, but no skiing to speak of.

As far as eastern cities, I'd put NYC over Boston in terms of what's available in say a 3-hour radius for a weekend trip. NYC gives you the Ramapos, Poconos, Catskills, even up to Like Placid/Adirondacks plus southern VT, Long Island and all of NJ. Boston gets you all of MA/RI/CT/NH half of ME and about 2/3 of VT.

Personally, I love the Whites and have hiked most of them. But skiing there is painful.

And to answer your first question, Pittsburgh used a few acres of prime riverfront for a jail :-)

Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I've lived in DC/Bos/Philly/NYC and married a girl from Mpls, so have been there a lot.

As far as within city limits goes, I'd say Mpls really has a lot going on with its lakes and parks. Outdoor activities are more part-and-parcel of city life than in eastern cities with just a one or two major parks. Outside the city, there's plenty of fishing, some hunting, snowmobiling, boating, but no skiing to speak of.

As far as eastern cities, I'd put NYC over Boston in terms of what's available in say a 3-hour radius for a weekend trip. NYC gives you the Ramapos, Poconos, Catskills, even up to Like Placid/Adirondacks plus southern VT, Long Island and all of NJ. Boston gets you all of MA/RI/CT/NH half of ME and about 2/3 of VT.

Personally, I love the Whites and have hiked most of them. But skiing there is painful.

And to answer your first question, Pittsburgh used a few acres of prime riverfront for a jail :-)
Yes, Minneapolis seems awesome in that regard.

I would still place Philly over NYC due to its proximity to more diverse and warmer beaches as well as being closer to the Mountains in PA, VA, WV. Boston/NYC/Philly are all very close tho. DC/Baltimore are just a tad too far from Beaches IMO.

And now that I think about it, Camden, NJ has a jail right on the waterfront haha.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

I would still place Philly over NYC due to its proximity to more diverse and warmer beaches as well as being closer to the Mountains in PA, VA, WV. Boston/NYC/Philly are all very close tho. DC/Baltimore are just a tad too far from Beaches IMO.
But then NYC has the Catskills nearby. And none of the other cities have anything like the Hudson River Valley nearby. 80-100 miles north of NYC:

Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM

^^Yes, The Hudson Valley and Catskills are beautiful. I've been to Saratoga/Lake George and the Catskills and love the area. And on my bustrip from Philly to Toronto, the scenery thru NY State was amazing.

Too hard to choose between Boston/NYC/Philly for me.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:10 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
There is some skiing around here, much more than a lot of Midwestern cities, but compared to anywhere outside of the Midwest, no, Minneapolis doesn't really have much skiing. Afton Alps and Trollhaugen are probably the largest ones around, with Afton Alps being pretty nice for the area (it is owned by Vail Resorts). Highland and Buck Hill, among others, are very small but still a nice thing to have in the immediate vicinity of the cities.

But, of course, once you reach the Arrowhead and the UP of Michigan there are some legitimate Great Lakes style ski areas, but those are 2.5-4 hours away, Lutsen being the most famous one. Still something, nonetheless.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
^Welch Village is just outside the city too. There's a lot of cross-country skiing all over as well.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,613 times
At the risk of being a homer I would vote Minneapolis. You can Mountain bike, cycle, jog, hike, sail, canoe/kayak, hit the beach, X-country ski, in the city of MPLS alone, and downhill ski in at least 4 areas in the metro. I'm a pretty avid cyclist and I can go from my house in SW MPLS all the way out to Excelsior on about 95% bike trail. It's about 20 miles one way, with the trail extending about 30 miles west of that (with forest, and lake vistas along the way).

Also in regard to mountains granted we don't have that in Minnesota, but if you follow thw Mississpi river about an hour south of the city you will run into bluff country and it is very beautiful. Likewise if you head northeast towards Duluth and beyond you run into more "Mountain like geography". My wife is from WV so she will never agree that some of the geography here compares to home. Do we look like the Shenandoah, Adirondacks, or Poconos, no but then again we don't live near Appalachia either.

It's not all farmland around the Twin Cities there is dense forest, and quite rocky, and hilly terrain that would make you think you were in Eastern Kentucky at times.

Even though its not listed I would say Madison, WI is pretty outdoorsy, and even more granola tha the Twin Cities. The glaciers have carved out some beautiful terrain west of there.

Last edited by sandlapper; 11-07-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And none of the other cities have anything like the Hudson River Valley nearby. 80-100 miles north of NYC:

Having grown up in upstate NY I am pretty familiar with the Hudson Valley. Now I live in Minneapolis. Honestly the Mississippi bluff country of southeastern Minnesota/western Wisconsin is not a bad stand in (although there are no Catskills off in the distance). The place definitely scratches my upstate NY itch. Some photos I took:

trempeleau 13 by afsmps, on Flickr

trempeleau 12 by afsmps, on Flickr

fountain city 21 by afsmps, on Flickr

mnoct201231 by afsmps, on Flickr

mnoct201227 by afsmps, on Flickr

Last edited by Drewcifer; 11-07-2013 at 09:17 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Well it's not Chicago, that's for sure. Why is it even in the poll?
With Lake Michigan, it at least deserves to be in the poll.

I voted for Minneapolis with its nearly 1,000 lakes in the metro and several rivers including a National Wildlife refuge only two miles from the airport and a federally protected river a short drive east. Then you have forests in the city and a short drive north provides even more scenery and recreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City