Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is most snobbish?
New York 53 29.94%
San Francisco 51 28.81%
Los Angeles 12 6.78%
Boston 14 7.91%
Seattle 10 5.65%
Washington DC 9 5.08%
Philadelphia 0 0%
Chicago 4 2.26%
Dallas 5 2.82%
Atlanta 3 1.69%
San Diego 0 0%
Portland 3 1.69%
Denver 1 0.56%
Miami 1 0.56%
St Louis 2 1.13%
Nashville 0 0%
Houston 3 1.69%
Phoenix 0 0%
New Orleans 0 0%
Other 6 3.39%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:39 AM

82 posts, read 128,306 times

Advertisements

Dallas, Texans are the snobbiest of them all.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If we're talking about Upper Kirby or parts of Uptown, then sure, but really?

"Snob" and "Houston" just don't belong in the same sentence.
I never used the word "snob". To me, a snob is someone who lives in an insulated bubble-world of blue-blooded privelege and wealth, and looks down on anyone else who doesn't belong to the same country club they do.

What I did say, was "elitist, arrogant, and rude". And I also said that it doesn't apply to all Houstonians. It just seems like there is indeed this emerging "culture" of rude, arrogant people there, who until maybe the last 5 years, were just a small, but annoying minority. Now they seem to be taking over. And not just Upper Kirby. If anything, the worst offenders (from my experience) live in the West and North side suburbs.

It doesn't mean I think Houston is a "snob" city. I just think it has become more (overall) rude, materialistic, and arrogant in recent years. The city has lost a lot of it's old charm, modesty, and character.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:03 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Kansas City, particularly suburban Johnson County.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Like you mentioned, probably a lot of great people in Houston these days but areas like Neartown, Allen Parkway, Memorial City, Piney Point, West University, Bellaire, Sugar Land, Hunters Creek, Jersey Village, the Binz area, River Oaks (no duh on this one) definitely are not in it and these are the areas that are expanding their influence over their surroundings.
See, just the simple fact that they (the "new" Houstonians) now call the Montrose "Neartown", and the 4th Ward "Allen Parkway" illustrates this point. No one ever called those parts of town that until post-millennium.

As I told Nairobi, I mainly notice this emerging attitude in the far-West and far-North suburbs (ie. Katy and the Woodlands). It already previously existed, though on a much smaller scale in the Memorial Villages, Briar Forest, Uptown, and West U., but now it seems to be spreading like a Cancer to these areas outside the beltway.

I still think Houston has a long way to go before it can join the ranks of certain other notoriously snooty metros though. Let's hope it never comes to that.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
See, just the simple fact that they (the "new" Houstonians) now call the Montrose "Neartown", and the 4th Ward "Allen Parkway" illustrates this point. No one ever called those parts of town that until post-millennium.

As I told Nairobi, I mainly notice this emerging attitude in the far-West and far-North suburbs (ie. Katy and the Woodlands). It already previously existed, though on a much smaller scale in the Memorial Villages, Briar Forest, Uptown, and West U., but now it seems to be spreading like a Cancer to these areas outside the beltway.

I still think Houston has a long way to go before it can join the ranks of certain other notoriously snooty metros though. Let's hope it never comes to that.
There is a negative connotation surrounding the word "ward", last several years the alternative names make more sense in using, as these areas gentrify, infill, and ultimately change.

Modern day Houston is not that different from modern day Washington, especially as both infill rapidly. Honestly, the transit infrastructure aside, I'm always marveled at how similar the two are, especially as West Loop Houston starts becoming an over-priced new urbanist playground like the District of Columbia. Tyson's Corner and the Woodlands are developing similarly, and every parallel of city to suburb exists. Take out the government and the cerebral activities you can do in the District and honestly, you're living in Houston east, just terrible food scene compared to Houston. You could probably throw Toronto in this camp too. Better transit than Houston but it's "web" design is similar to the DMV and Houston, so is it's ascent and increasing elitism.

Metroplex is going the other direction, all together, in my opinion. There's been way more humbling down in Dallas in recent years, or maybe there hasn't been and it's just that Houston's way passed it up in how mean and rude the loudest people there can be.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:48 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trev706 View Post
Dallas, Texans are the snobbiest of them all.
Agreed.

Materialism, pretentiousness and elitism are all very common in Dallas. Gotta have a luxury car and live in a big house. Can't afford all the nice stuff? Go into debt.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Metroplex is going the other direction, all together, in my opinion. There's been way more humbling down in Dallas in recent years, or maybe there hasn't been and it's just that Houston's way passed it up in how mean and rude the loudest people there can be.
Yes, another good point. I've noticed this as well. In the past, Dallas was a much more elitist, pretentious city, and unfortunately a lot of that reputation still haunts them.

Though today, the city of Dallas-proper seems much more diverse, friendly, and accepting towards outsiders. I wouldn't say it's more "laid back" these days, but it's definitely a more modest city than it was in previous eras.

Interesting how Houston and Dallas are moving in opposite directions where this is concerned.

Also, it should be mentioned that Austin (which is mysteriously missing from this list) has become arguably the #1 snootiest city in Texas, though it's more of a hipster-elitism than a new money-material wealth brand of snootiness. And the ironic part of that is, that a good percentage of said elitism in Austin is being perpetuated by young adults who grew up in, and moved there from the suburbs of Houston and DFW, though spent little or no time in the cores of either city.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:10 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,409 times
Quote:
Yes, another good point. I've noticed this as well. In the past, Dallas was a much more elitist, pretentious city, and unfortunately a lot of that reputation still haunts them.
Is this a reputation within Texas or something?

Because where I have lived (Northeast, Midwest, and California) people generally think of Dallas as cowboys, rednecks, Mexicans, new money types, etc. I never got an "elitist, pretentious" feel for Dallas.

Now granted, stereotypes are one thing. I know Dallas is a prosperous modern city. But I've never heard of Dallas described in these terms in the places where I've lived.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:15 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:

Though today, the city of Dallas-proper seems much more diverse, friendly, and accepting towards outsiders. I wouldn't say it's more "laid back" these days, but it's definitely a more modest city than it was in previous eras.

Interesting how Houston and Dallas are moving in opposite directions where this is concerned.

Also, it should be mentioned that Austin (which is mysteriously missing from this list) has become arguably the #1 snootiest city in Texas, though it's more of a hipster-elitism than a new money-material wealth brand of snootiness. And the ironic part of that is, that a good percentage of said elitism in Austin is being perpetuated by young adults who grew up in, and moved there from the suburbs of Houston and DFW, though spent little or no time in the cores of either city.
No offense, but I don't think there's much basis for this; especially if we're really only talking about the suburbs and a few select neighborhoods. I haven't witnessed it myself, nor have I seen anyone else suggest that Dallas and Houston are switching places; not until this thread.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Is this a reputation within Texas or something?

Because where I have lived (Northeast, Midwest, and California) people generally think of Dallas as cowboys, rednecks, Mexicans, new money types, etc. I never got an "elitist, pretentious" feel for Dallas.

Now granted, stereotypes are one thing. I know Dallas is a prosperous modern city. But I've never heard of Dallas described in these terms in the places where I've lived.
It probably is something that has traditionally been more specific to in-state bickering, but in the past there was a lot more "new money" in Dallas than in other Texas cities, and I think that fed into a certain mindset that could definitely be described as "elitist and pretentious", though it was a specific Texan brand of said elitism and pretentiousness. Nothing like the West coast or Northeast.

However, Dallas has grown so much and diversified to a point to where this mindset, though not extinct, is much less prevalent or prominent than it was in years past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City