Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better?
Philadelphia 54 54.55%
Denver 45 45.45%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,707,996 times

Advertisements

Which one of these two cities do you like better? Which has better Climate, More things to do, Scenery, more outdoorsy, Better to raise a family, Better food...etc. To me, Denver is one of my favorite cities in the USA..so my vote goes to Denver, but what do you think. Which is the better city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 02:30 AM

443 posts, read 878,227 times
For anything related to urban amenities - it's clearly Philly and not even close.
For scenery and proximity to outdoor activities - it's clearly Denver and not even close.

Most of your criteria favors Denver, aside from better food. It depends on what you want. Personally, I'd choose Philly because I prefer an outstanding urban atmosphere over very good scenery/outdoorsy opportunities. (But, Denver is not the best there - I'd prefer the PNW or Northern Cali)

I appreciate proximity to outdoors and love being near the mountains, but I need at least some kind of urban pulse. I currently live in Seattle, which I've found to have unbelievable scenery and outdoorsy opportunities, but also has a pretty good (albeit, patchwork and inconsistant) urban atmosphere in certain areas.

Of course, when it comes to combination of urbanity and spectacular scenery/outdoors, San Francisco is by far the best - offering some of the best in both. But it also costs $2000 month for a crappy 1-bedroom, and that's if you live by 6th and Mission with crackheads outside your door all night.

Long story short; in my opinion, it's all about the balance of the two - urbanity vs. scenery/outdoorsy - plus at least halfway decent affordability.

Philly and Denver are both affordable, but Philly's urban amenities and cultural advantages outweigh Denver's scenery/outdoorsy/organic_food-y advantages. Denver has nice downtown and all, but it doesn't really feel urban to me.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 AM

123 posts, read 219,437 times
Visiting? Philly.
Living? Denver.

I like philly, but I could never live there.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:16 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Denver by a Mile haha.

I love philly, but Denver is just so much more livable.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,136 times
Odd criteria which seems to be designed to favor denver

Climate: Philly
More things to do: Philly
Scenery: Denver
more outdoorsy: Denver
Better to raise a family: Depends, if you have money Philly is better, if you do not I'd rather raise a family in Denver.
Better food: Philly

I doubt it comes as a shock, but I much prefer Philly to Denver. Plus it's not as though Philly is far from the mountains... and unlike denver it's also close to the beach. I think Philly is underrated as far as what it offers to someone who like outdoor activities, but obviously Denver is better in this regard.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 AM

443 posts, read 600,961 times
I am just waiting for the person to give Philly the "more outdoorsy" nod.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:08 AM

100 posts, read 145,441 times
Philadelphia by 1000 miles! There is nothing that Denver has that Phily doesn't.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I am just waiting for the person to give Philly the "more outdoorsy" nod.

maybe outdoor(sy) cafes

but if outdoorsy means water options one could suggest Philly.

Top of mind this would go to Denver though

Old 10-26-2011, 11:30 AM

443 posts, read 600,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post
Philadelphia by 1000 miles! There is nothing that Denver has that Phily doesn't.
I lived in both. The Denver region (note that I mention Region) has so much that Philly doesn't have. It depends on the person.

In Denver you are a hour drive to some of the best mountain scenery and sports in America. In Philly you can get to the Jersey shore.

Though Denver doesn't compete with Philly on terms of the amount of culture, food, architecture, etc. But it also doesn't have as many urban issues as Philly has.

I would do anything to be in Colorado again, but I always felt Denver's neighborhoods were somewhat bland outside Capitol Hill, and it's suburbs are mostly all Generica.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I lived in both. The Denver region (note that I mention Region) has so much that Philly doesn't have. It depends on the person.

In Denver you are a hour drive to some of the best mountain scenery and sports in America. In Philly you can get to the Jersey shore.

Though Denver doesn't compete with Philly on terms of the amount of culture, food, architecture, etc. But it also doesn't have as many urban issues as Philly has.

I would do anything to be in Colorado again, but I always felt Denver's neighborhoods were somewhat bland outside Capitol Hill, and it's suburbs are mostly all Generica.
Nice honest post and totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City