Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC/NOVA Vs Dallas Tx
Dallas 44 36.67%
Washington DC/NOVA 76 63.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:52 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Actually there's areas of central Dallas that look like D.C.

The State-Thomas area of Uptown is the first that comes to mind. Areas of Turtle Creek also remind me of certain areas of D.C., I think you may be jumping to conclusions here.
Well to start, I didn't say Dallas didn't have any urban areas, I said it was a mainly suburban city. State-Thomas would be in the suburbs in D.C. though. We even have single family home neighborhoods that are less urban than State-Thomas on the outskirts of the city but in city limits, however, nobody says those areas are urban. State-Thomas looks more like a new urbanist neighborhood you see in D.C. suburbs. They are urban for suburbs, but pale in comparison to D.C. proper and I don't think anybody even attempts to try to put them up against D.C. proper anyway. What neighborhood in D.C. did you think State-Thomas resembled exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 PM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The estimates were wrong. They were too conservative. D.C. is growing much faster than they thought so you were actually right kind of. As you can see, almost everyone in that thread agreed D.C. wouldn't grow this fast. I think I may have been the only one in the whole thread to believe D.C. had just scratched the surface. Anyway, it's always fun to go back a couple years and see how predictions come out.
While they are fun to look at. I still take it with a grain of salt. We won't "really" know until 2020. But I'm glad to see DC growing fast.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I guess the first question is do they live in D.C. proper because based on the congestion comment, they must not. Congestion is something the suburbs deal with. People in the city don't have that problem. We take the train, taxi, buses, bikes, and we walk so you never hear anyone talking about congestion. If they prefer to drive, they probably should move because driving is only going to continue to get harder and harder in D.C. proper. We are headed for NYC level non-auto commuting shares.

As for rudeness, I think rudeness comes with the rat race environment in major world-class cities. D.C. is second only to NYC in the pace of life so people that aren't into vibrant, busy, dense, urban cities aren't going to see the appeal in living in them. If your friends are more into the slower, relaxed, laid back, elbow room type of lifestyle, they should definitely move to the south. They aren't going to get that in a major world class city like D.C., San Fran, Boston, NYC etc. etc. etc. Two completely different lifestyle's.

If they live in the suburbs, does it matter where they move? Every suburb in the country is the same.
Well you can get politeness and down to earth relaxed lifestyle in dense world class cities as well such as Chicago, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. I wouldn't describe Dallas as that friendly myself.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well you can get politeness and down to earth relaxed lifestyle in dense world class cities as well such as Chicago, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. I wouldn't describe Dallas as that friendly myself.

That's true. On a side note, D.C. actually seems to be speeding up compared to years past. I wonder how it's image will continue to evolve. There is just so much construction going on at the same time everywhere I think it may be making some people feel like the city is getting too fast for them. For every new building, there are three new restaurants opening. I have begun to hear people say they think D.C. is building up too much and is starting to feel claustrophobic. I mean, this is a city, what did they expect? Now you have people throwing out that code word phrase, "we don't want to be Manhattan" like that could ever happen...lol.....

Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
That's true. On a side note, D.C. actually seems to be speeding up compared to years past. I wonder how it's image will continue to evolve. There is just so much construction going on at the same time everywhere I think it may be making some people feel like the city is getting too fast for them. For every new building, there are three new restaurants opening. I have begun to hear people say they think D.C. is building up too much and is starting to feel claustrophobic. I mean, this is a city, what did they expect? Now you have people throwing out that code word phrase, "we don't want to be Manhattan" like that could ever happen...lol.....
Yeah and because DC is becoming more of a rat race city, Dallas would be more ideal for the OP. It's more relaxed than DC by far. In bold, this is a common argument in most cities urbanizing including the sunbelt. This is happening in Dallas as well. To the OP, I would say, if you don't mind staying in Dallas, there are many neighborhoods where you can live a relaxed lifestyle where you can stay all to yourself. I think it's doable in DC too but it's far more expensive.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah and because DC is becoming more of a rat race city, Dallas would be more ideal for the OP. It's more relaxed than DC by far. In bold, this is a common argument in most cities urbanizing including the sunbelt. This is happening in Dallas as well. To the OP, I would say, if you don't mind staying in Dallas, there are many neighborhoods where you can live a relaxed lifestyle where you can stay all to yourself. I think it's doable in DC too but it's far more expensive.

True, NIMBYS......SMH.......

You should hear the outrage over all the new high-rise’s going up with zero parking now. The last thing we need is more cars in a city that is already as they say overcrowded. How is building high-rise’s without parking a bad thing? People are driving less and less here.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:54 PM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
I guess the first question is do they live in D.C. proper because based on the congestion comment, they must not. Congestion is something the suburbs deal with. People in the city don't have that problem. We take the train, taxi, buses, bikes, and we walk so you never hear anyone talking about congestion. If they prefer to drive, they probably should move because driving is only going to continue to get harder and harder in D.C. proper. We are headed for NYC level non-auto commuting shares.

As for rudeness, I think rudeness comes with the rat race environment in major world-class cities. D.C. is second only to NYC in the pace of life so people that aren't into vibrant, busy, dense, urban cities aren't going to see the appeal in living in them. If your friends are more into the slower, relaxed, laid back, elbow room type of lifestyle, they should definitely move to the south. They aren't going to get that in a major world class city like D.C., San Fran, Boston, NYC etc. etc. etc. Two completely different lifestyle's.

If they live in the suburbs, does it matter where they move? Every suburb in the country is the same.
Some lived in the city (Adams-Morgan and Crystal City), some outside (Fairfax, Burke, Potomac, Springfield). They all seem to have had it. I lived in McLean, my sister in Oakton. We both found it a most unpleasant place. From there I moved to New York...a much better experience.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:58 PM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
True, NIMBYS......SMH.......

You should hear the outrage over all the new high-rise’s going up with zero parking now. The last thing we need is more cars in a city that is already as they say overcrowded. How is building high-rise’s without parking a bad thing? People are driving less and less here.
They are? Somebody forgot to send I-66 the memo.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
They are? Somebody forgot to send I-66 the memo.

Huh? Last time I checked, I-66 was in Virginia. What does I-66 have to do with D.C.? As for D.C. proper which is what I was talking about and really all that matter's, are you trying to say people aren't driving less and less?

Old 01-02-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Some lived in the city (Adams-Morgan and Crystal City), some outside (Fairfax, Burke, Potomac, Springfield). They all seem to have had it. I lived in McLean, my sister in Oakton. We both found it a most unpleasant place. From there I moved to New York...a much better experience.

Well, first off, out of the five of your friends you mentioned that actually does live in D.C., does he/she drive? I will say it's very expensive to live in D.C., but what world class city isn't expensive? You do realize that the consumer drives the price for everything right? Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That actually says a lot about cities around the world. How much is NYC? How much is London? How much is Paris? D.C. is not close to as large as any of those cities, however, as D.C. continues to get better, people will continue to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City