Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,382,046 times

Advertisements

seems like (most of) the Midwest is turning a bit of a corner

1. Ohio: +18
2. Michigan: +16
3. North Dakota: +14
5. Missouri: +6
7. South Dakota: +6
16. Indiana: +2
17. Nebraska: +2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,393,420 times
Are people in this thread really hoping for the US to continue to become more populated?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:52 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,701,182 times
Say it ain't so, bigstick! O:
But back to the thread topic...
I recall that when the 2010 census results were made official the 2 states with the largest shortfall below the population projections/estimates were Arizona & Georgia.
The government does the best it can with the tools it has & is allowed to use.
I also recall the resistance to the census that was being pushed by a certain political persuasion. So I wasn't too surprised at a partial conversation I overheard on a midtown Atlanta sidewalk one day during the census count period when a young women behind me said, "I just threw my census form away."

Old 12-30-2013, 06:56 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Are people in this thread really hoping for the US to continue to become more populated?
Yes, crazy! We need the population to keep gong. Stagnation is never good. If our pool of young ones dries up, we're screwed. I don't care about immigration as much as I care about us pushing out more American babies. We need them to sprout up and hopefully replace you and I one day when we hit retirement age. And we need to invest more in science and technology education for these newborns and point them in that direction. It is the future and China and India are in it to win it.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:12 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
These numbers are down right shocking considering how we were just booming for the past 3 years. Now going into 2014, growth across the country has slowed almost to a crawl. This is crazy.

At least we can know what to expect with regards to the 2013 MSA/CSA figures.

Illinois- 12,882,135
Pennsylvania- 12,773,801
It's only a matter of time before Pennsylvania surpasses Illinois in population.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's only a matter of time before Pennsylvania surpasses Illinois in population.
How do you figure? These estimates suggest the exact opposite. IL has ~110,000 more people and grew more than PA did in these latest estimates...Both are growing very slowly. See:

32. Illinois +13,943
39. Pennsylvania +9,326

Even if you consider previous year estimates, within error, they are likely growing at the same rate.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,974,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Yes, crazy! We need the population to keep gong. Stagnation is never good. It is the future and China and India are in it to win it.
Have you ever lived in China or India to tell whether the over-population is good or bad? I mean seriously, planners and people in general in Mumbai and Calcutta probably hold out their hands and pray together during the Indian census that their cities show signs of population decline, not a population build up. Want to see how cheap a human life is, go there and see it. It's everywhere, just no hope, just no future. If you're fortunate enough to live well off there, it makes no difference, you're surrounded by that everywhere you go.

I'm not saying you cant create an ideal atmosphere out of pure size, surely you can, look at Tokyo. Japan in general only accounts for literally only a handful of murders each year, leads the world in infrastructure and technological advancement, and has a great educated and prosperous atmosphere. Albeit, economic uncertainty. It's up to the first world standard.

Growth in American cities though, I don't know what we're getting out of it really. It's just all so deceiving. I mean, I suppose people chasing the practical average life? The own your own estate, run your own business, build your own life thing. Sprawl basically.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,608,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Did NOT like this release!

Florida didn't pass New york

North Carolina did not pass Michigan

And Georgia did not pass the 10 million mark

None of what I wanted happened. And everything I wanted barely missed their mark by a HAIR!
Why did you want that so bad? I'm OK with the fact that Michigan has slow/zero growth. Population growth doesn't make a state a better place to live. It just leads to more traffic and congestion. Just look at miserable, overpopulated Florida as evidence. Ever tried to travel on I-4?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,524,410 times
Michigan83 Yes growth is not necessarily a great thing however Michigan has out migration-meaning people are leaving. The Detroit News, several years ago profiled those who leave- higher income and education. Michigan stays the same because more babies are born then people dying. This is nothing to be proud of.

Craving Mountain. - Florida will pass New York sometime around April 2014. Is this important.? My best friend just visited South Florida and the traffic and congestion were the worst he's seen.

North Caroline will soon surpass Michigan -- so what?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:57 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,605,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Same with Florida and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City