Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
Actually, other than topography and liberal social/political climate, the two cities are really nothing alike. The diversity issue has already been hashed out. In short, Seattle is considerably "whiter" than San Francisco (Caucasians comprise 45% San Fran., 70% Seattle). This has obvious affects on the social climate in both cities. It's neither bad nor good. Just different.

Seattle is considerably more laid back and slower in terms of energy level. This really can't be quantified, but anyone that has spent any time in either city can feel it. IMO this has a lot to do with the weather, which is another difference between the two.

While both have mild climates, Seattles' summer is considerably truncated compared to SF, and the on average San Francisco does not get as cold. San Francisco has on average 160 clear days, while Seattle is 86. These vary year to year obviously, but on average, San Francisco has twice as many clear days Mean Number of Clear Days - Western Regional Climate Center (WRCC).

With the difference in weather and culture, the social norms and social "vibe" obviously adapted in both cities. Again, I would say that the two are similar because they are hilly, west coast, liberal cities. But in most other respects they are different. Some of the differences are subtle.

For instance, downtown Seattle is pristine and beautiful, with evergreen trees. Downtown San Francisco is just plain dirty. On the other hand, Seattles' pier area is mainly for loading and docking, with many homeless milling around. San Franciscos' piers' are a gem, and the Marina district absolutely cannot be beat. On any given day you can walk there with the wind whipping behind you with a view of Alcatraz, the Golden Gate bridge, strolling amongst others from literally all over the world who are marveling at the same views and atmosphere.

In any event, one is not better than the other. I actually lean towards Seattle, but only because I've lived in the bay area for almost 20 years. They are both great cities with their own unique character.
Dont know if youve been to Seatte but your right Seattle has a workin waterfront but not Downtown. Actually the waterfront downtown has shops restaurants a aquarium small parks no ships .The waterfront also is home to two cruise ship terminals.And is also home of the Seattle Sculpture park,and Myrtle edwards park wich stretches a few miles south of downtown. From Seattles waterfront you have a view of the olympic mountain range,Alki beach and its home to the largest ferry fleet in the Usa. Seattles waterfront is going to just improve as they tear down the alaska way viaduct freeway its becoming more park land on the waterfront.And thats one waterfront Seattle also has southlake union park A large urban park with canals,bridges,boat ponds and fountains on Seattles other waterfront Seattle is suronded by water. And Seattle does have lots of partly cloudy days . But we dont have lots of rain we have less rain than Houston and NY.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 04:57 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
San Franciscos' piers' are a gem
SF does have some very nice piers, but it actually has plenty of decaying and abandoned piers as well, including at least 5 that i can think of that are in highly visible areas that are well traveled by tourists. I actually think it would be pretty hard to miss that some piers are in bad shape if you took a walk along SF's waterfront, and paid attention to the state of the piers as you went along...especially if you go south of the Bay Bridge. SF's port fell to the port of Oakland once container shipping came along (there was no room for expansion of port facilities in SF), and many of SF's piers were then abandoned and fell into disrepair. Most of them around downtown and fisherman's wharf that have been well mainained or fixed up, but even those have some decaying/abandoned piers mixed in with them.

Case in point...here are a couple piers in downtown SF, on the embarcadero, right next to the Bay Bridge. Not exactly what i would call "gems":

(my pics, taken just last week)

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4909/p10100521.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
does seattle have seals?

or the bush man?

or a chocolate factory?

or an entire street of crab vendors?

Last edited by grapico; 10-21-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
does seattle have seals?
Seattle does have seals,orca whales ,and gray whales are seals hang out at are locks.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Seattle does have seals,orca whales ,and gray whales are seals hang out at are locks.
the big ones or harbor seals.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
LOL@ the bush man.

Ah, does Seattle have Wild Parrots?

I came across them when I moved to Telegraph Hill in the late 1990s. I was pulling out of the garage one day when I saw 2 of them perched on my mailbox...LOL

Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL@ the bush man.

Ah, does Seattle have Wild Parrots?

I came across them when I moved to Telegraph Hill in the late 1990s. I was pulling out of the garage one day when I saw 2 of them perched on my mailbox...LOL
Cant say we do I think are cougers would eat them lol.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
the big ones or harbor seals.
I think the news is always talking about the harbor seals eating the salmon pretty sure.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Cant say we do I think are cougers would eat them lol.
I am pretty sure there are more cougars in SF. Either in the mountains, or just go into Marin County.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
does seattle have seals?

or the bush man?

or a chocolate factory?

or an entire street of crab vendors?
We do have Pike Place market wich actually covers several square blocks we have crabs and flying fish. Does San Fransico have a S.L.U.T lol
south lake union trolley. Its said to ride the S.L.U.T. when in Seattle youl get a good ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City