Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: From the following
Bakersfield/Palmdale, CA 10 25.64%
Fort Lauderdale, FL and close areas 13 33.33%
Tampa, FL and close areas 17 43.59%
Heck with all, give me Hawaii 5 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 8,894 times

Advertisements

Job Market and cost of living considered, with a business degree, where would you rather live?

You can state your opinion or vote, just looking at opinions for a project of mine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Palmdale is in Los Angeles County and is like 40 miles from LA city limits whereas Bakersfield is about 100 miles away from Palmdale--just curious why you'd lump Palmdale with Bakersfield and not LA where way more jobs are?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 AM

My mom grew up in SD but I personally have never been to California, from what I know LA is so much more expensive than Palmdale and Bakersfield so I tried to box two together that seemed to have comparable numbers. I could be wrong though as my knowledge for that option is limited.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper.Guy89 View Post
My mom grew up in SD but I personally have never been to California, from what I know LA is so much more expensive than Palmdale and Bakersfield so I tried to box two together that seemed to have comparable numbers. I could be wrong though as my knowledge for that option is limited.
Yeah, Palmdale is part of the LA Metro Area but it is significantly cheaper than the immediate LA Area because it's north of the city on the other side of the mountains in the desert-so it can be really hot over there in the summer.

One huge advantage of Palmdale and that entire Antelope Valley area is that you can have cheaper housing than LA but your close enough to LA where you can work there, where pay is higher.

The commute is hell on earth but thousands of people do it everyday.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I voted for all except Bakersfield/Palmdale lol. Bako and the high desert are not very nice areas to live in lol. You either live there because you're from there or for cheaper housing.

I'd much rather live in Ft Lauderdale then Tampa. I believe the Miami metro's unemployment is relatively low now, especially compared to Bakersfield and Palmdale. Although I'm not sure what kind of jobs are available. Both are fairly cheap, Tampa being cheaper I believe. Hawaii is amazing but has a ridiculous cost of living and is isolated.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
For me I would take Ft. Lauderdale. I've been there before and love it, it's a very beautiful city with lots of canals and water ways, it's a tropical paradise IMO. Great beaches too!

Tampa is nice and would be my second choice, Hawaii is also nice but it's too isolated for me. I don't really know much about the Bakersfield area so can't comment on it.

Though if you're talking strictly about Cost of Living than Florida wins hands down. We also have no state income tax which is awesome! Hawaii is ridiculously overpriced and California is very expensive too, both these states also have high taxation.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:21 PM

I agree with what most of you are saying, didn't expect this nice of a vote so far. Thanks to all of you

Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Neither/other.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:47 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Interesting. No Comment.

But I like all of the choices listed! This is definitely one of the more interesting city battles.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:32 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,189 times
Bakersfield and Palmdale are not even anywhere close to one another.

I vote Bakersfield and Palmdale. I don't want to leave California. Florida is too flat and muggy for my tastes, nice for a vacation though. Yes California is more expensive, but we get paid more so it works out.

Bakersfield also gets a lot of hate, by no means is it my favorite city in California and I would not want to live there, but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's alright.... not good....just alright. It can be kinda rough though and it has brutal summers. It has a lot of rednecks, but that doesn't make them bad people.

Hawaii is nice for a vacation but it's too slow paced and isolated for me, I would get bored. Food and prices on goods in general are more expensive.

Last edited by West Coast Republican; 02-27-2014 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City