Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston built environment will look like?
LA 61 57.55%
Miami 20 18.87%
other (explain) 25 23.58%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:53 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
with less trees.
I agree that Houston looks more like the rest of it's gulf coast peers than it does Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 08:12 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
In terms of comparing Houston to any city in Florida, its closest parallel would be Tampa or even Orlando moreso than Miami. While there are nicer beaches and a stronger hospitality industry presence in the Tampa Bay Area, Tampa itself is pretty industrial and blue-collar like Houston, and also has a busy port like Houston does. While this all sounds superficial on paper, the streetscapes are very similar. Dale Mabry Highway/Kennedy Blvd could just as easily be Westheimer in Westchase

Parts of Houston Heights have similarities to Seminole Heights in Tampa.

Bayshore Beautiful in Tampa somewhat reminds me of West University Place

Carrollwood in the Tampa Suburbs has some superficial similarities to Sharpstown and Alief in H-Town if we're going for Mid-Century suburbia looks along the Gulf Coast

I could go on, but housing styles in the two cities began to greatly diverge in the 1980s, so the newer parts of Tampa like New Tampa or Wesley Chapel or Brandon look very different from Greater Katy or Cinco Ranch or Cypress, because most newer houses in Florida are made with stucco while brick is the material most often used in newer constructed houses in Greater Houston. My main point is that these two Gulf Coast cities have a lot more in common with each other than Houston does with Miami/South Florida, but there are similarities between those cities as well.

The similarities between Los Angeles and Houston are more due to their diverse populations, and the freeway-oriented development that dominated both cities over the years. And Interstate 10 runs through both of them...There have also been historical ties between the two cities in industry (the Oil Industry had a large presence in Los Angeles up until the 1970s or so) and some cultural aspects (because of the Great Migration). Otherwise, the two cities are VERY different in a lot of ways. Terrain, weather, culture, one is a megacity on the Pacific Rim with 18 million people and almost dominates its side of the country in terms of culture (although the Bay Area definitely holds its own), while the other is a major city of 6 million people (and growing) on the Gulf Coast that has a culture all its own, but is still very much a part of the Southern US, so comparing the two is apples and oranges.

Also, unlike Miami OR Los Angeles, Houston does not have the land/development constraints that those two cities have.
Wow! Tampa does look like Houston. This just shows that the Gulf Coast has its own feel. Also, those Louisiana cities look just like Houston.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
with less trees.
I would say the northern half of Houston looks like Atlanta.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:23 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I would say the northern half of Houston looks like Atlanta.
No, not really. Atlanta is Piedmont South, Houston is Coastal Plain South.

Atlanta = Birmingham, Charlotte, Nashville, Greenville...on steroids.
Houston = Jacksonville, Mobile,(suburban) New Orleans...on steroids.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, not really. Atlanta is Piedmont South, Houston is Coastal Plain South.

Atlanta = Birmingham, Charlotte, Nashville, Greenville...on steroids.
Houston = Jacksonville, Mobile,(suburban) New Orleans...on steroids.
The north does look like suburban Atlanta.

From Houston to Conroe/Willis
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho....3698028?hl=en

Even parts of West Houston:

The metro area is a like a hodgepodge of feels:
- New Orleans, Tampa = ITL
- Atlanta; Birmingham; Hammond, Louisiana; Mobile/Baldwin County = North
- DFW - Katy
- Baton Rouge, Metairie = Southwest
- Orlando - SE along 45 near Baybrook
- New Orleans, Mobile, Charleston, Savannah = Galveston (if you want to include)

Old 09-22-2016, 11:00 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
The north does look like suburban Atlanta.

From Houston to Conroe/Willis

Even parts of West Houston:

The metro area is a like a hodgepodge of feels:
- New Orleans, Tampa = ITL
- Atlanta; Birmingham; Hammond, Louisiana; Mobile/Baldwin County = North
- DFW - Katy
- Baton Rouge, Metairie = Southwest
- Orlando - SE along 45 near Baybrook
- New Orleans, Mobile, Charleston, Savannah = Galveston (if you want to include)
Except for the occasional familiar McMansion, I don't see any resemblance to my hometown in these pictures. Suburban Mandarin or Orange Park in Jacksonville, Carrollwood in Tampa, Longwood or Maitland in Orlando or Kenner, Metairie or Marrero in New Orleans, yes...but not the northern Atlanta suburbs. Different topography, different vegetation, different feel altogether.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Except for the occasional familiar McMansion, I don't see any resemblance to my hometown in these pictures. Suburban Mandarin or Orange Park in Jacksonville, Carrollwood in Tampa, Longwood or Maitland in Orlando or Kenner, Metairie or Marrero in New Orleans, yes...but not the northern Atlanta suburbs. Different topography, different vegetation, different feel altogether.
We can agree to disagree.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:43 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Quote:
^^This is on the money. For one thing, Houston is much flatter than Atlanta, and the rolling hills to the north of Houston are still much less varied in terrain than the foothills of the Appalachians where many of Atlanta's northern burbs are. Yes, there is lush tree cover like Atlanta, but the similarities end there. Houston shares more similarities to Gulf South and Atlantic South cities than a Piedmont city such as Atlanta or Charlotte.

This neighborhood in Maitland reminds me a lot of Southwest Houston.

Infamous Pine Hills in Orlando could just as well be plopped down in the middle of Alief in Houston and besides the differences in housing styles, I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference

Mandarin in Jacksonville looks almost like Clear Lake

Old 09-22-2016, 12:27 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
I see where he's getting at with the pines, but I agree that they don't look alike. Parts of Northeast and Deep East Texas do strongly resemble the Piedmont, however, minus the abundance of poplars.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:31 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
I thought it was common knowledge that Houston bared more similarities to North and Central Florida, but if we're comparing it to the two cities in the OP, I'm seeing more similarities to Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City