Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one stacks up better for both personal preference and overall statistics.
Atlanta (Personal) 27 47.37%
Orlampa (Personal) 23 40.35%
Atlanta (By the numbers) 35 61.40%
Orlampa (By the numbers) 6 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:08 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
This statement alone is clear evidence that you know very little about Orlando or the hotel industry for that matter. I happen to work in the hotel industry and Orlando is one of the most highly regarded hotel markets in the country. Orlando is home to a Waldorf Astoria, JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton, and Four Seasons hotels which are all considered top of the line luxury hotels on an international scale. The Atlanta hotel market is mediocre at best and severely lacks in the luxury sector, meeting planners will pick Orlando anyday over Atlanta in a heartbeat, its a no brainer..

Believe it or not, Orlando has a very lucrative and expansive retail industry. There are at least seven major shopping malls (Not including outlet malls) in the area including the Florida Mall which is considered a super-regional mall and one of the largest in the state. The Mall at Millenia hosts an annual Fashion Week which brings in designers and retail executives from all over the world. Name any one major retail brand and I am sure you will find more than one location in Orlando..

Really? So does this mean that New York City is the best city in the country because it is the most populated city?

It is very ironic that you state "none of those are subjective" when in fact these are ALL objective statements. Orlando also has museums, a symphony orchestra, a new performing arts center (opening this year), one of the largest universities in the country (which I happen to be an alumni of), good paying jobs, educated citizens, public transit, etc.. What is your point????
You missed the whole point with your post.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
This statement alone is clear evidence that you know very little about Orlando or the hotel industry for that matter. I happen to work in the hotel industry and Orlando is one of the most highly regarded hotel markets in the country. Orlando is home to a Waldorf Astoria, JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton, and Four Seasons hotels which are all considered top of the line luxury hotels on an international scale. The Atlanta hotel market is mediocre at best and severely lacks in the luxury sector, meeting planners will pick Orlando anyday over Atlanta in a heartbeat, its a no brainer..

Yes everyone knows that Orlando is where the high endd luxury is.

If it was a "no brainer" then the other cities would not be getting business at all!

Atlanta, now number four, was in eighth place in 2012.
Considering it also ranks just behing Las Vegas and Chicago and ahead of NYC,DC and other more popular destinations,that is not to shabby at all.

Obviously you don't know much about Atlanta.Are you serious?Atlanta has some highly ranked luxury hotels.

Orlando does not have many of the brands Atlanta has.Most of Orlando offerings are middle of the road to above average.Not exemplerary.Especially the international offereings

Here are some of the international hotel chains you cannot even find in Orlando:
The Intercontenental
The St.Regis
Mandarin
Melia
The only one you mentioned Atlanta does not have is a Waldorf .
Also there is higher quanity in Atlanta so ultimately that does mean better quality.

Thereare 3 W Hotels
2 Ritz Carltons

Just because you have these brands,do NOT make them equal!The Four Seasons i Atlanta is ranked highly by Forbes and other publications.But not the one in Orlando.
Forbes Travel Guide 2013 Award Winners - Forbes Travel Guide

Even the 2 Ritz are ranked most of the time higher than those in Orlando.
Name ONE hotel in Orlando that ranks higher than the St.Regis the Four Seasons or even the Ritz Carlton in Atlanta that is in Orlando.I'll wait.

There are 4 hotels from in Atlanta ranked in the top 100 hotels in America.One of them is a Ritz.
There are no hotels from florida until #58 ranked ,The St.Regis and it is in Bal Habor.

The Four Seasons Atlanta ranks 35th.There are no hotels in Orlando ranked until #152(The Ritz)
2014 Best Hotels in the USA Winners | U.S. News Travel

Believe it or not, Orlando has a very lucrative and expansive retail industry. There are at least seven major shopping malls (Not including outlet malls) in the area including the Florida Mall which is considered a super-regional mall and one of the largest in the state. The Mall at Millenia hosts an annual Fashion Week which brings in designers and retail executives from all over the world. Name any one major retail brand and I am sure you will find more than one location in Orlando..

You do know there are more than double that many malls in Atlanta?Just like nobody is going to Atlanta for cutting edge fashion,they certainly are not going to Orlando to get there fashion by "Minnie Mouse".lol

Really? So does this mean that New York City is the best city in the country because it is the most populated city?
I said population is not all always a factor but it does usually equates an advantage in most cases.

It is very ironic that you state "none of those are subjective" when in fact these are ALL objective statements. Orlando also has museums, a symphony orchestra, a new performing arts center (opening this year), one of the largest universities in the country (which I happen to be an alumni of), good paying jobs, educated citizens, public transit, etc.. What is your point????
The fact that you have them does not mean they are good ,great or better.Especially when they are not even among the most visited museums .

The point of it all is what I mentioned earlier:"mass appeal".A bigger or smaller city is not for everyone but a bigger city by the very nature that it is bigger means it appeals tp more people.

Why?Because people don't go to Orlando for hose things.They go mainly for the attractions like Disney.
Or they will go to Tampa or Miami for the arts.

Sure it will grow like the rest of Orlando because it is a nice city, but its not now obvioulsy something that is a strength.

Nor does having universities equate to having top ranked universities.(comparitively speaking).And size has no added value but variety does.

Last edited by afonega1; 02-04-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
You missed the whole point with your post.
lol.i know right?smh

Old 02-04-2014, 03:10 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
If given the choice, I think that most people would choose Orlando over Atlanta with regard to relocation, all other things equal. Generally speaking, most Americans are more inclined to select a warmer city or state over a colder one, hence the reason why Florida is home to nearly twice as many people as Georgia, even though Georgia is larger in terms of land area. FWIW, aside from blacks who desire to live in a black mecca, many people move to Atlanta because of a job offer or corporate relocation. The same can't be said for Orlando, which is both good and bad--people actually want to live there and sometimes badly enough that they move there without a solid job offer lined up.

There's always been a pipeline between Orlando and Atlanta. Many black people move from Orlando as well as the other major cities in Florida to Atlanta all the time. Also, many people move from Orlando to Atlanta for job offers and corporate relocations. In fact, my cousin's husband was relocated from Orlando to Atlanta by his company several years ago.

At the end of the day, however, I think Orlando is the better choice between the two, especially if you don't care about big city amenities or cultural offerings and can live anywhere due to the nature of your work or you're retired. I think the average Joe or Jane would be happier in Orlando than in Atlanta--assuming he or she would be able to secure gainful employment--because, IMO, Orlando offers a superior quality of life. It's definitely a better place for those that enjoy the simpler things in life.

That's my $0.02.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:13 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
I HIGHLY doubt most would choose Orlando over Atlanta. Most people only look at Orlando for the theme parks. Let's be real. When has Orlando ever been a desirable city to move to? It's just like LV. People love to visit it, but the city is just not a good place to live at all.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:34 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I HIGHLY doubt most would choose Orlando over Atlanta. Most people only look at Orlando for the theme parks. Let's be real. When has Orlando ever been a desirable city to move to? It's just like LV. People love to visit it, but the city is just not a good place to live at all.
Saying that people "only look at Orlando for the theme parks" is not only a blatant stereotype but it is a highly inaccurate statement. The theme parks is one segment of Orlando, it by no means defines Orlando, to be honest with you, as a former Orlando Resident who lived there for a good part of my life, I can tell you most locals would actually be offended by your statement. Beyond the theme parks, believe it or not, there is a real city, a city where people live, work, play, and go on with their lives without ever setting foot near a theme park or even associating with a theme park. I grew up in the suburbs north of Orlando (Longwood/Atlamonte Springs area) and I knew a good amount of people that had not been near Disney in years and had no intent of going near there anytime soon, I also knew MANY people that moved to Orlando EXLUSIVELY to live there because they WANTED to live there, not because of the theme parks as you say.. If you personally do not like Orlando that is fine, but please do your research and avoid false stereotypes before posting on this forum..

Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
If given the choice, I think that most people would choose Orlando over Atlanta with regard to relocation, all other things equal. Generally speaking, most Americans are more inclined to select a warmer city or state over a colder one, hence the reason why Florida is home to nearly twice as many people as Georgia, even though Georgia is larger in terms of land area. FWIW, aside from blacks who desire to live in a black mecca, many people move to Atlanta because of a job offer or corporate relocation. The same can't be said for Orlando, which is both good and bad--people actually want to live there and sometimes badly enough that they move there without a solid job offer lined up.

There's always been a pipeline between Orlando and Atlanta. Many black people move from Orlando as well as the other major cities in Florida to Atlanta all the time. Also, many people move from Orlando to Atlanta for job offers and corporate relocations. In fact, my cousin's husband was relocated from Orlando to Atlanta by his company several years ago.

At the end of the day, however, I think Orlando is the better choice between the two, especially if you don't care about big city amenities or cultural offerings and can live anywhere due to the nature of your work or you're retired. I think the average Joe or Jane would be happier in Orlando than in Atlanta--assuming he or she would be able to secure gainful employment--because, IMO, Orlando offers a superior quality of life. It's definitely a better place for those that enjoy the simpler things in life.

That's my $0.02.
LOL.Your $0.02 is has gone down further in value.

No way most people would rather live in Orlando.
City size has more to do with people moving somewhere than JUST climate alone.They want to be in a city with nice climate.Orlando is not a big city.Of course like you said some people don't need a larger city but Orlando competes with Nashville and Tampa.Not Atlanta.

How you think Orlando which also has a beter quality of life when Orlando has just as much violent crime than Atlanta is beyond me.
Study: Cities with Most Crime - CreditDonkey

Last edited by afonega1; 02-04-2014 at 05:35 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Saying that people "only look at Orlando for the theme parks" is not only a blatant stereotype but it is a highly inaccurate statement. The theme parks is one segment of Orlando, it by no means defines Orlando, to be honest with you, as a former Orlando Resident who lived there for a good part of my life, I can tell you most locals would actually be offended by your statement. Beyond the theme parks, believe it or not, there is a real city, a city where people live, work, play, and go on with their lives without ever setting foot near a theme park or even associating with a theme park. I grew up in the suburbs north of Orlando (Longwood/Atlamonte Springs area) and I knew a good amount of people that had not been near Disney in years and had no intent of going near there anytime soon, I also knew MANY people that moved to Orlando EXLUSIVELY to live there because they WANTED to live there, not because of the theme parks as you say.. If you personally do not like Orlando that is fine, but please do your research and avoid false stereotypes before posting on this forum..
I agree.Its far reaching to say Orlando only has theme parks as a reason people move there.However you must admit Orlando was built on Disney.
Most people cannot tell you anything more about Orlando except it has theme parks.There is just no denying that no matter how much Orlando is advancing into a more liveable city.

It is its idenity and it will be for a long tome to come UNTIL it hrows more.With more amenities other than theme parks.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:38 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
LOL.Your $0.02 is has gone down further in value.
This is your personal opinion, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, this does not mean that you are either right nor factual with your statement..

Quote:
No way most people would rather live in Orlando.
City size has more to do with people moving somewhere than JUST climate alone.They want to be in a city with nice climate.Orlando is not a big city.Of course like you said some people don't need a larger city but Orlando competes with Nashville and Tampa.Not Atlanta.
No one is arguing that Atlanta is a larger city, we all know Atlanta is a larger city.. The purpose of this thread is how the cities compare as they are both considered major metro areas despite one being larger than the other.. As I stated in previous posts, size does not always mean better.. In addtion, overall I think alot of people agree that Orlando offers a better quality of life in general compared to Atlanta..

Quote:
How you think Orlando which also has a beter quality of life when Orlando has more violent crime than Atlanta is beyond me.
Study: Cities with Most Crime - CreditDonkey

There are crime issues in CERTAIN parts of Orlando, just like any city, there are bad parts as well as good parts.. Orlando locals know to stay away from Parramore and Pine Hills areas, these are the most crime ridden neighborhoods, this is not reflective of the city as a whole as the remainder of the city is considered relatively safe.. In fact both Lake Mary and Oviedo, suburbs north of Orlando, are considered some of the safest and "Best Places to Live" in America.. If crime was a major issue in Orlando the tourism industry would be hurting and it is most definetly not.. In addition, the website you are using does not state where the data was collected from and whether or not it is based on population to crime ratio or simply number of crimes reported, that makes a difference..

Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Orlando boosters are funny. Stick to the theme parks and high visitor counts. Anything else and you'll fall terribly below the standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City