Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Did you really just make three consecutive pictorial posts that proudly tout Houston's traffic congestion, air pollution, vulnerability to hurricanes, lack of viable public transportation, bland geography, and sprawl?!

Strange points of pride, even for you.

And by the way-- I was actually in that traffic mess of the first Hurricane Rita evacuation pic you posted. I lived in a mandatory evacuation zone south of Houston. We evacuated to Tyler. It took 25 hours in 95 degree heat. It was not intimidating, it was revealing of how poorly prepared Houston was for that event.
So was I & so did I. Luckily I lived on the northside back then so it was relatively easy to make it over to I-45.

How the hell is Houston supposed to be prepared for an event of that magnitude that happens once every 100 years? Whats next, your bashing of how Houston wasn't prepared for the winter ice storm that happens once every 50 years?

Speaking of which, Tyler supplied most of the sand trucks for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 08:49 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So was I & so did I. Luckily I lived on the northside back then so it was relatively easy to make it over to I-45.

How is Houston supposed to be prepared for an event of that magnitude that happens once every 100 years? Whats next, your bashing of how Houston wasn't prepared for the winter ice storm that happens every 50 years?
If you evacuated from the north side, over 60 miles inland, you were the problem. Dolts who jammed the freeways to evacuate unnecessarily caused more deaths in the traffic jam than the hurricane produced. Houston's poor management of an evacuation plan revealed its not-ready-for-prime time status.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 AM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
If you evacuated from the north side, over 60 miles inland, you were the problem. Dolts who jammed the freeways to evacuate unnecessarily caused more deaths in the traffic jam than the hurricane produced. Houston's poor management of an evacuation plan revealed its not-ready-for-prime time status.
I agree that inland evacuees were the problem. I stayed at home and ended up having several leaves blown off all three of my trees. Those days were not Bob White and Ed Emmits best days they should have encouraged people in inland areas to stay in place, and evacuate afterwards if necessary.

As far as how poorly Houston may be prepared, 3 years later Hurricane Ike came through without any repeat of that fiasco

Old 01-29-2014, 10:42 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Houston single handily absorbed between 150,000-250,000 people during New Orleans Hurricane Katrina almost overnight. I'd like to see LA do that.

Between 40,000-90,000 of them remain in Houston depending on which estimate you go by.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/12/katrina.houston/

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-29-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 12:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Because one is a so called "suburban area" and the other one touts itself as a global city. I would take OC and never venture into LA over Houston, just to be clear. LA over both.
Oh.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:02 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm sorry but this nutjob View Post
I'm sorry but this nutjob has been allowed to post for this long? I don't have anything against Houston but this guy is a joke. People have spent 4 years trying to knock sense into this goof but he doesn't know when to stop.
Hahaha! I wonder who this could be?

Old 01-29-2014, 01:40 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Good god those freeways are ridiculously huge. Yes your freeways are huger than Los Angeles' (and unbelievably, Orange County's), but that is not a good thing. And our traffic is still worse, because we are several times denser than Houston with a much lower freeway-lanes per capita rate.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston single handily absorbed between 150,000-250,000 people during New Orleans Hurricane Katrina almost overnight. I'd like to see LA do that.

Between 40,000-90,000 of them remain in Houston depending on which estimate you go by.

Katrina evacuees shift Houston's identity - CNN.com
I don't think it would be that big of an issue - honestly I think many cities large and small could handle something like that.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:21 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't think it would be that big of an issue - honestly I think many cities large and small could handle something like that.
Los Angeles did during the El Salvadorian civil war in the 80's. You can look it up yourself.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:29 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah it would be a big issue especially if you did it overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City