Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,985 times

Advertisements

So, The Girlfriend and I love everything about where we live (Minneapolis) except the length/intensity of winter weather. We still want a change of seasons, but we would like winter to be milder. We also don't want to trade 4 months of brutal winter for 4 months of brutal summer. We've eliminated Texas and Florida (too hot for too long) and, unfortunately, the West coast (I'm a bit earthquake-phobic after years in So. Cal. Intriguing high-altitude metros (Denver, Albuquerque) are probably out for us, as we both have various respiratory concerns.

I'm 53, she's 44. I'm Jewish, and though I don't need to be surrounded by kindred spirits, I would like there to be something of a Jewish community presence in the metro area. Since I'm a writer, I can in theory be based anywhere, but want to be in a city with some creative pulse to it. She currently works in admin/office jobs, so she can probably find something in any large-enough city.

We're both liberal/progressive, and have many LGBT friends, so some parts of the Bible Belt might be too much culture shock for us, but we don't have to live in a liberal mecca--again, we just need to know there are pockets of kindred spirits.

Also, since I am partially disabled and currently receive state assistance for health care, we would like to be in a state that has fairly decent social services.The Girlfriend has some allergy issues, which I realize would make a few of the cities on our list problematic, but we both realize that no metro area is perfect.

We both love music and theater and have eclectic tastes, and though neither of us get out to live venues often , we want to be in a city that supports the arts. Independent bookstores and such would be a plus. I'm a huge baseball fan, but I don't need a major-league team in the city we choose. Since we both have some mobility issues, health care and public transit access are both important to us, but the public transit doesn't have to be top-notch, just decent or better.

So, if you've been patient enough to wade through our 'wish list,' we would love some insights into any of the following places: Nashville, Louisville, Charlotte, the Triangle, Atlanta, or Kansas City (MO). Since factoids are easy enough to find online, we're mostly interested in the 'vibe' of these cities, for lack of a more precise word--any thoughts you have on how we might narrow the field.Thanks, and we really appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM

9 posts, read 10,133 times
I'm going to make a case for Kansas City.
-It has one of the greatest music scenes in the world. Look up the Kauffman Performing Arts Center in Downtown. Absolutely beautiful and know to host some of the best opera and orchestra in the country.
-The Crossroads Art District is a great part of Kansas City with live and local music with yummy BBQ
- The Plaza in Kansas City is a district about two miles south of the core of downtown. It offers world class shopping that you wont find within 300 miles.
-Nelson Art Museum is world renown and brand new. (Also very close to The Plaza)
-In 2015 Kansas City will have a street car system in place and you will be able to spend the day traveling downtown without a car. I rode the KC bus system numerous times and found it way easier than most cities.
- Baseball? Well, Im sure you know about the Royals. Looks like its going to be a good year for them too. Playoffs and maybe a World Series appearance aren't out of the question. CHEAP tickets. $12 for a good outfield tickets. If you ever wanna watch a football game there's always the Chiefs.
-Now politically Missouri is republican and 60%-65% is conservative but in Kansas City, Columbia, and St.Louis you will find an abundance of Liberals (80% of the population in all of those cities).
-Kansas City is the most accessible city in the country when it comes to highway. Interstates in every direction and traffic isn't a huge problem.
-Amtrak serves the city so if you ever want to hop on a train and go to Jeff City (The State Capital) for some wine and history you can be there in a few hours without a car. You could also hop on the train and head to St.Louis.

-

Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addxb2 View Post
-Now politically Missouri is republican and 60%-65% is conservatives

-
Actually its not. Missouri is majority "Democrat" or "Democratic-leaning". The legislature, due to a combination of Republican jerry-mandering and Democratic voter apathy, is overwhelmingly Republican (and mostly crazy).

But the people are not.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:01 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,686 times
For the vibe and cultural aspects -arts, independent bookstores, liberal pockets, creative pulse, etc... I would personally put Kansas City at the top, followed by Louisville and Nashville close behind.

For weather, I would think that Charlotte and the Triangle would be the most moderate. KC would have the coldest winters and Atlanta the hottest summers.

I would think that Atlanta has the best public transportation.

For baseball, obviously KC and Atlanta are the only with MLB teams. The others all have AAA teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City