Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:15 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
The population of those areas are extremely tiny compared to Florida's overall population. They don't have anything to compare to a Houston or Dallas. Where do you think the stereotype of the southern "cowboy" with big belt buckles and boots came from? Florida is widely known as an outlier in the south for the exact reason of not having southern culture even though it's in the south. Do you think those stereotypes for Texas and Florida just appeared out of thin air?
Two things:

1.) The concept of the "cowboy" isn't even associated with the Southern stereotype, but, rather, the "Southwest."

2.) Florida actually has a longer "cowboy" history than Texas does. You'll see it when you read up about the "Florida Crackers."

Old 03-01-2017, 09:28 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Two things:

1.) The concept of the "cowboy" isn't even associated with the Southern stereotype, but, rather, the "Southwest."

2.) Florida actually has a longer "cowboy" history than Texas does. You'll see it when you read up about the "Florida Crackers."
^Yep! Most people have no clue where the term 'cracker' really originated.

Interior Florida has a long tradition of cowboys. Kissimmee (St. Cloud, really) is home to the huge Silver Spurs Rodeo every year. This tradition doesn't seem to have been diluted by the 'transplant culture' at all...

Silver Spurs Rodeo in Kissimmee | Largest Rodeo East of Mississippi

Old 03-01-2017, 09:53 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I have never eaten that in my life! Tomorrow I'm going to an oscars party and I'm going to ask people if they have ever eaten such a thing. I've never even seen fish on the same menu where grits are also served.
You don't know what you're missing. It is big throughout Florida. In fact, at my grandma's house, this was the preferred breakfast meal over pancakes.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:52 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You don't know what you're missing. It is big throughout Florida. In fact, at my grandma's house, this was the preferred breakfast meal over pancakes.
It sounds disgusting. And it is definitely not served throughout Florida because I have lived all over Florida and eaten at thousands of houses and restaurants and have never ever seen that as a menu option. Don't speak nonsense.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:38 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
It sounds disgusting. And it is definitely not served throughout Florida because I have lived all over Florida and eaten at thousands of houses and restaurants and have never ever seen that as a menu option. Don't speak nonsense.
1. But it isn't disgusting.
2. I've ordered it at restaurants in Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, Tallahassee, and Clewiston. Sorry if that angers you.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
1. But it isn't disgusting.
2. I've ordered it at restaurants in Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, Tallahassee, and Clewiston. Sorry if that angers you.
Sure you have. Not saying such a bizarre food doesn't exist. But you can find any food imaginable throughout Florida from cuisines all over the world. Don't be acting like "fish and grits" is some staple here. It's not. I have never seen it served in any house or restaurant (I don't think I have ever even had homemade regular grits.) but I'm sure if you went on a hunt for it you could find it. Just google and you can find several fish and grits in Chicago for Christs sake. Does that mean Chicago is Southern?

And through all this I am sure your Texas born and raised self thinks he knows more of Florida than I do.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:20 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Florida, once you get out of south Florida and the Orlando area Florida is very country and very.RED.(republican)

Old 03-01-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Florida, once you get out of south Florida and the Orlando area Florida is very country and very.RED.(republican)
...... ALL of vast swath of Texas is country and almost all of it is Republican. And the really religious kind too.

Florida has more libertarian leanings. My home county in southwest Florida is very Republican for instance but it is also among the least religious in the country. I doubt there is anywhere in Texas that is like that.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:56 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
When I lived in St Petersburg and Clearwater, several natives of those cities I got to know in the area served us fish and grits in their homes, typically on Fridays. So did my relatives in West Palm Beach. As usual, that particular poster who's trying so hard to prove that Florida isn't a southern state doesn't know what in hell he's talking about. Just because that hasn't been his personal experience doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
When I lived in St Petersburg and Clearwater, several natives of those cities I got to know in the area served us fish and grits in their homes, typically on Fridays. So did my relatives in West Palm Beach. As usual, that particular poster who's trying so hard to prove that Florida isn't a southern state doesn't know what in hell he's talking about. Just because that hasn't been his personal experience doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Never said it doesn't exist, but don't be acting like that is some staple in our Florida homes. That is nonsense. My white family commonly cooks Indian curry, something we learned from family friends decades ago. And our recipe has really taken off with other family friends from a diverse array of backgrounds. Doesn't mean a thing about what culture we subscribe to.

How old are you to have experienced this? I'm a Florida native (and lived in the Tampa Bay area for more than 7 years. And considering moving back) in my 20s and have never, ever seen this dish in my life. Never, ever, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City