Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Richmond 55 50.00%
Portland 55 50.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 02:33 PM

471 posts, read 272,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Richmond isn't a "town" and population stats belie the fact that it is arguably Virginia's premier city. But I agree that it is a very different city than Portland, although there are still comparisons that can be made.
Fair enough. No disrespect to Richmond, I meant relative to Portland. This comparison reminds me of if someone were comparing Portland to Philadelphia - one city around 3x the size of the other, and entirely different feels/regions.

I actually like Richmond and my brother lives there so I visit all the time. I agree that individually, it's no doubt Virginia's premier city. As a region I think Hampton Roads offers more but that's another discussion. I wish Richmond would do more for public transit (those fancy new bus stops are pointless, and the nightlife is a bit lacking. I've also seen people saying Richmond is more cosmopolitan - I disagree. Portland is 70ish% white and 70%ish of Richmond's population is white and black. Outside of that, Portland has significantly higher percentages of every other ethnic group. On top of that, with 3 times the population, there are way more people of each group creating more diversity.

Sorry for the random points and lack of flow in my writing. I wrote this very quickly. I am NOT a Richmond hater, I am trying to convince my Dad to live there. I just think that people tend to over-promote it on city data at times (like many people do of where they live and love). It's fast improving, but I don't think it's quite to the point of contending with most cities 3x its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
You know that is slightly disingenuous. If Richmond is a town, then so is New Orleans, Salt Lake, Louisville, etc. Maybe you believe that, but I don't think many people do. Richmond is for all intents, the clear urban center and second or third most important node in Virginia despite its population. Plus, as far as city pop goes, Virginia bans annexation which has boxed its urban cities in to small but dense limits, reflected in their populations.
Yeah, I do know that. My apologies - and please see my post above as I try to make it clear I'm not a Richmond hater. I grew up (mostly) in Roanoke and know Virginia very well. I just think people need to be realistic with their comparisons. I'm currently in Baltimore and recognize that it's not a match for Philly, for example (similar size difference as the Richmond Portland comparison).

Old 10-23-2018, 03:55 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I've also seen people saying Richmond is more cosmopolitan - I disagree. Portland is 70ish% white and 70%ish of Richmond's population is white and black. Outside of that, Portland has significantly higher percentages of every other ethnic group. On top of that, with 3 times the population, there are way more people of each group creating more diversity.
Richmond is actually a majority-minority city, being 47% Black, 41% White, 7% Hispanic, and 2% Asian. Portland, on the other hand, is 70% White, 10% Hispanic, 8% Asian, and 5% Black. Portland does have a significantly higher percentage of foreign-born residents (13.7%) than Richmond (6.1%), but overall Richmond is more racially/ethnically diverse. I think cosmopolitanism includes racial/ethnic diversity but goes beyond that and I'm not sure which city wins that contest.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:30 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Fair enough. No disrespect to Richmond, I meant relative to Portland. This comparison reminds me of if someone were comparing Portland to Philadelphia - one city around 3x the size of the other, and entirely different feels/regions.

I actually like Richmond and my brother lives there so I visit all the time. I agree that individually, it's no doubt Virginia's premier city. As a region I think Hampton Roads offers more but that's another discussion. I wish Richmond would do more for public transit (those fancy new bus stops are pointless, and the nightlife is a bit lacking. I've also seen people saying Richmond is more cosmopolitan - I disagree. Portland is 70ish% white and 70%ish of Richmond's population is white and black. Outside of that, Portland has significantly higher percentages of every other ethnic group. On top of that, with 3 times the population, there are way more people of each group creating more diversity.

Sorry for the random points and lack of flow in my writing. I wrote this very quickly. I am NOT a Richmond hater, I am trying to convince my Dad to live there. I just think that people tend to over-promote it on city data at times (like many people do of where they live and love). It's fast improving, but I don't think it's quite to the point of contending with most cities 3x its size.
First of all, Portland isn't three times the size of Richmond. It's a shade under twice as large as Richmond by both UA and MSA. The core city of Richmond is also growing slightly faster than the core city of Portland (11.17% to 10.97%)...

Three times larger than Richmond would be Seattle. Portland isn't Seattle. And while I consider it a major city in a generous application of the term, it isn't a major city in the strictest connotation that most people relate with...

Richmond is far and away the premier city in Virginia, a distinction that would be more clear to people if it wasn't boxed in by two larger regions. I'm not sure how Richmond compares to Portland, but I think you're selling Richmond short if you don't think it compares to cities twice as large...

Old 10-24-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
First of all, Portland isn't three times the size of Richmond. It's a shade under twice as large as Richmond by both UA and MSA. The core city of Richmond is also growing slightly faster than the core city of Portland (11.17% to 10.97%)...

Three times larger than Richmond would be Seattle. Portland isn't Seattle. And while I consider it a major city in a generous application of the term, it isn't a major city in the strictest connotation that most people relate with...

Richmond is far and away the premier city in Virginia, a distinction that would be more clear to people if it wasn't boxed in by two larger regions. I'm not sure how Richmond compares to Portland, but I think you're selling Richmond short if you don't think it compares to cities twice as large...
I was going off of city population alone. Portland - 648,000. Richmond - 227,000. Not quite 3x as large but pretty much.

And yes, Richmond alone is superior to any city alone in VA. I'd still MAYBE rather live in the Hampton Roads region because as a whole it offers more, but there's nothing in HR that matches the urbanity or architecture of Richmond.

I respect your opinion on Richmond, though I still don't necessarily agree on comparing it to cities twice as large. For example, Cincinnati has only 80,000 more people (i'm still just talking city population) but to me it feels much larger and offers more - for example: multiple professional sports teams, a light rail, great nightlife, a few more fortune 500 companies. I'd pick Richmond over St. Louis any day though.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
I was going off of city population alone. Portland - 648,000. Richmond - 227,000. Not quite 3x as large but pretty much.

And yes, Richmond alone is superior to any city alone in VA. I'd still MAYBE rather live in the Hampton Roads region because as a whole it offers more, but there's nothing in HR that matches the urbanity or architecture of Richmond.

I respect your opinion on Richmond, though I still don't necessarily agree on comparing it to cities twice as large. For example, Cincinnati has only 80,000 more people (i'm still just talking city population) but to me it feels much larger and offers more - for example: multiple professional sports teams, a light rail, great nightlife, a few more fortune 500 companies. I'd pick Richmond over St. Louis any day though.
Looking at city population is a dishonest measure for comparing most cities, for reasons that I thought were clear to everyone who frequents this board. Virginia Beach and Raleigh have much larger city populations than Pittsburgh or Cincinnati but aren't of greater stature in the slightest...

Cincinnati is a greater city than Richmond but the gap isn't tremendous, all things considered. Substantial, but not tremendous, and dwindling, as Richmond is the faster growing city across the board and already working at a starting point of comparable urbanity and architecture to Cincy...

Portland is double the size of Richmond by every measure but city, which next to CSA is next to meaningless. MSA, UA, GDP, Portland is just a shade under twice as large. Nowhere near three times...

Richmond excels and offers plenty for its weight class, is a premier city in its weight class, which is exactly why it can be compared to larger cities outside of its weight class...

Old 10-24-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Looking at city population is a dishonest measure for comparing most cities, for reasons that I thought were clear to everyone who frequents this board. Virginia Beach and Raleigh have much larger city populations than Pittsburgh or Cincinnati but aren't of greater stature in the slightest...

Cincinnati is a greater city than Richmond but the gap isn't tremendous, all things considered. Substantial, but not tremendous, and dwindling, as Richmond is the faster growing city across the board and already working at a starting point of comparable urbanity and architecture to Cincy...

Portland is double the size of Richmond by every measure but city, which next to CSA is next to meaningless. MSA, UA, GDP, Portland is just a shade under twice as large. Nowhere near three times...

Richmond excels and offers plenty for its weight class, is a premier city in its weight class, which is exactly why it can be compared to larger cities outside of its weight class...
As you can see by my post history, I'm not really a frequent visitor so excuse my denseness on this but why doesn't city population matter?

I understand certain instances - VB is a good example. But if higher population is coupled with higher population density, isn't that usually a good indicator that there will be more amenities, walkability and reasons to live in and visit a city? Portland is like 25% more densely populated than Richmond. Suburbs matter in some aspects of the discussion, but what city is MADE by it's suburbs? MSA shouldn't be a primary argument.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:41 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
As you can see by my post history, I'm not really a frequent visitor so excuse my denseness on this but why doesn't city population matter?

I understand certain instances - VB is a good example. But if higher population is coupled with higher population density, isn't that usually a good indicator that there will be more amenities, walkability and reasons to live in and visit a city? Portland is like 25% more densely populated than Richmond. Suburbs matter in some aspects of the discussion, but what city is MADE by it's suburbs? MSA shouldn't be a primary argument.
Virginia has that whole independent city set-up where its cities aren't part of any county and they aren't able to undergo traditional annexation. I think utilizing urbanized areas in this case makes more sense, in which case Portland is about twice as big as Richmond (and MSA stats reflect that size difference as well).

Old 10-26-2018, 12:00 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:

I disagree. I don't see how Richmond compares well to Portland.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:15 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,961 times
Very surprised Richmond is leading this too. Especially with Portland being twice as large. Not even in the same tier as far as cities go. Richmond still lacks any pro sports teams also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City