Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 11:31 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
In my experience over the past few years:

Hollywood/West Hollywood - no explanation needed
Downtown - vibrant and getting more vibrant with each month it feels like
Koreatown - very vibrant on the weekends especially, colorful, and can get pretty crowded
Santa Monica/Venice - pretty damn vibrant with diverse walks of life
Long Beach - can be vibrant if there's stuff going on but otherwise, it's low-key
Pasadena - the same as Long Beach but with slightly more class

I don't have much experience along Ventura in the Valley.

You can take rail to explore the first three pretty closely. If you're feeling adventurous, you can head to SM on rail too. Of course this depends on the time you're out but it can easily be done if before 1AM. The first two alone dwarf what SF has. Throw in Koreatown and that's the Bay Area.
Not sure if you're referring to Downtown as one of the first wo but that doesn't dwarf anything in SF. And no even throwing in Koreatown that doesn't even equal SF's nightlife let alone the rest of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 11:43 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
You're not an LA native, for starters and I don't live there anymore.

And your vastly exaggerating night life in Chicago and NOLA, which is not *everywhere*.

That being said, sure it's harder to bar hop from Silver Lake to DTLA despite the short distance. But the exact same thing can be said if your trying to barhop from Haight to the Mission in SF, despite close proximity.

Manhattan is the only place with nightlife like LA in dense setting. But even then, there are vast dead zones in Staten Island, Queens, and the Bronx.

Same goes for Chicago. Most of the action there is from the the neighborhoods surrounding downtown. But there are total deadzones on the south and west sides. And the suburbs there are dead.

So your notion that LA's nightlife has gotten better is sophmoric. LA and NYC have had the best nightlife for 100 years. It's the transit that has gotten better in LA.
I grew up in various parts of the greater Los Angeles area including the city proper, went to elementary through high school there and then went to college there. I used to frequent the Anarchist library and the Smell and using my fake ID at the Standard back when there was relatively little in downtown. Good on you for not living there anymore.

No, Chicago and NOLA don't have nightlife absolutely everywhere in the city, but they have them in many parts and those parts are often very accessible to each other. They also have a late last call so if you're already going, it's easy to keep going.

Yea, I don't think SF is a great nightlife destination, so I didn't use it as an example of one. Neither LA nor SF are that great for nightlife--only that LA, in my opinion, is better.

You've got to be kidding to say Manhattan is the only place with nightlife in dense settings. You've got a point with the vast majority of Staten Island and Eastern Queens and outside of that is much of the rest of the city.

LA having the best nightlife for 100 years is a pretty ridiculous assertion, though I can believe there were periods possibly in some cinema golden age and hair metal periods when LA probably had great nightlife relative to some of the US.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-29-2018 at 11:53 AM..

Old 08-29-2018, 11:50 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not sure if you're referring to Downtown as one of the first wo but that doesn't dwarf anything in SF. And no even throwing in Koreatown that doesn't even equal SF's nightlife let alone the rest of the region.
Yes Downtown is one of the first two (the other being Hollywood/WeHo) and combined they do equal SF. Add in Koreatown and those nightlife areas are larger what's in the entire Bay Area. Really all you have is a part of SF, then some parts of Oakland and Berkeley. Anything else is just minor, which LA has plenty of too (Fullerton, Redondo Beach, North Hollywood, etc.).

Old 08-29-2018, 11:54 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I grew up in various parts of the greater Los Angeles area including the city proper, went to elementary through high school there and then went to college there. I used to frequent the Anarchist library and the Smell and using my fake ID at the Standard back when there was relatively little in downtown. Good on you for not living there anymore.

No, Chicago and NOLA don't have nightlife absolutely everywhere in the city, but they have them in many parts and those parts are often very accessible to each other. They also have a late last call so if you're already going, it's easy to keep going.

Yea, I don't think SF is a great nightlife destination, so I didn't use it as an example of one. Neither LA nor SF are that great for nightlife--only that LA, in my opinion, is better.

You've got to be kidding to say Manhattan is the only place with nightlife in dense settings. You've got a point with the vast majority of Staten Island and Eastern Queens and outside of that is much of the rest of the city.

LA having the best nightlife for 100 years is a pretty ridiculous assertion, though I can believe there were periods possibly in some cinema golden age and hair metal periods when LA probably had great nightlife relative to some of the US.
LA the 5th best nightlife in country but NYC is top 3 with Miami and Las Vegas

Old 08-29-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Probably top ten--would place Chicago, New Orleans and Atlanta definitely above and maybe Philadelphia.

One place I was surprised by was Louisville, but it doesn't run that large a gamut which makes sense as a smaller city/metro. Buffalo, too, is kinda fun, but it's concentrated mostly in a very small area--I remember people there telling me that there used to be a lot more going on but all that population drop kinda dampened things.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:15 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Quote:
Yes Downtown is one of the first two (the other being Hollywood/WeHo) and combined they do equal SF. Add in Koreatown and those nightlife areas are larger what's in the entire Bay Area. Really all you have is a part of SF, then some parts of Oakland and Berkeley. Anything else is just minor, which LA has plenty of too (Fullerton, Redondo Beach, North Hollywood, etc.).
Exactly. Bay Areans use insane hyperbole to hype the area out.

Berkeley is pretty much dead too after a few blocks on Telegraph. Oakland just has uptown and that's it.

It's just typical delusional bay area boosterism.

Truth be told the most of SF' nightlife is not contigious either. Even worse, it is all with in 6 square miles. So in terms of nightlife, the vast majority of SF does not have anything going on at all.

People love to pretend SF is vibrant, but the median age is nearlY 40 years old, LOL!!!! SF is filled with elderly and as such, is pretty dead after 10pm.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Yup.

NYC, Vegas, Miami, Hotlanta, and LA in that order.

No other cities matter.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:17 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Neither downtown or Koreatown is as concentrated and vibrant as your typical SF nightlife district, you're really overrating those two. Area wise, sure they may be larger....ok? Again that's just the spread out nature of LA. But as far as actual # of bars and nightlife establishments, they definitely don't equal SF. SF has one of the highest bar densities in the nation.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2012/08/sf...a-ranking.html

Old 08-29-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Neither downtown or Koreatown is as concentrated and vibrant as your typical SF nightlife district, you're really overrating those two. Area wise, sure they may be larger....ok? Again that's just the spread out nature of LA. But as far as actual # of bars and nightlife establishments, they definitely don't equal SF. SF has one of the highest bar densities in the nation.

S.F. Has More Restaurants and Bars Than Anywhere Else. Really.
So does San Jose.

Watch out hollywood and manhattan, SF and San Jose have bar density!!!!! Bwahahahahaha

Forget Vegas and Miami folks its SF and San Jose hahahahaha!!!

Nice 6 year old link, btw.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:

S.F. Has More Restaurants and Bars Than Anywhere Else. Really.
It's going on a city per capita basis and San Francisco is a small city that hosts a lot of its jobs and institutions of the metro area in city boundaries so it makes sense. That link is also six years old, and while the first point still holds, things probably have shifted at least a bit in the last six years.

Today, if you took a contiguous 47 square mile area centered around Central LA and parts of the westside, I'm not so sure there'll actually be more venues in SF than in that core area of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City