Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich city is better ?
Washington D.C. 129 48.86%
Philadelphia 135 51.14%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 03:30 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not seeing this at all. PG County has nothing like Camden itself and the municipality in south Jersey that's most representative of PG County is Willingboro which is in Burlington County.
Unfortunately there is no predominate diverse Philadelphia suburban county composed of a majority of minority populations that are middle and upper class like PG County.

But the one that has the highest percentage of middle and upper middle class African Americans, outside some notable neighborhoods within the city (Overbrook, Olney and Mt. Airy) and some pockets to its north (Cheltenham) and west (Ardmore & Drexel Hill) would be Camden County, which to me has the highest % of Black Middle Class suburbanites.

Again, Bowie, MD and Cherry Hill, NJ are not the same by any means. But they definitely have a similar aesthetic and feel and is the most (not the same) like PG County when comparing the DC and PHL metros directly. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 04:04 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Unfortunately there is no predominate diverse Philadelphia suburban county composed of a majority of minority populations that are middle and upper class like PG County.

But the one that has the highest percentage of middle and upper middle class African Americans, outside some notable neighborhoods within the city (Overbrook, Olney and Mt. Airy) and some pockets to its north (Cheltenham) and west (Ardmore & Drexel Hill) would be Camden County, which to me has the highest % of Black Middle Class suburbanites.

Again, Bowie, MD and Cherry Hill, NJ are not the same by any means. But they definitely have a similar aesthetic and feel and is the most (not the same) like PG County when comparing the DC and PHL metros directly. IMO
In Camden County, there's Lindenwold and Clementon which aren't predominantly Black but are middle-class areas with sizable Black populations, but to me Willingboro is still the NJ suburb most representative of PG County in terms of history, demographics, and income levels.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:19 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Philadelphia has some very nice suburbs, and the Main Line is special, but in the aggregate DC's are another notch up when it comes to things to do, diversity, and variety. There are no equivalents to Bethesda, Silver Spring, Arlington, Tysons, Alexandria, Rockville etc. in Philadelphia's suburbs. None. DC's suburbs have two major airports, (not even including BWI) one being top 10 in international traffic in the country.
Others have chimed in, but this very much underscoring the Philadelphia suburbs.

You could argue that DC does not have equivalents to The Main Line, New Hope, Media, West Chester, Swarthmore, Chadds Ford, etc...a rather silly argument though. Diversity, I would probably give DC burbs the edge (since I am not too familiar with how the demographics in each compare). Things to do...though this is subjective, I don't see how either area would even remotely lack things to do, nor do DC burbs shine over Philadelphia burbs, so why argue over it?...

I will say, the Philadelphia suburbs contain a lot more gems throughout the region than the DC burbs (from my travel experience). Alexandria is a very nice place, but more of an outlier rather than representative of the DC burbs.

This discussion went on (at very long length) in another thread comparing Philly, Boston, DC burbs, and you would not let it go that Philadelphia may just have superior (or at least on par suburbs). I know it hurts, but Philadelphia and its suburbs can actually win some criteria against DC...

And no equivalent to Tysons?...As Sandy said, what is King of Prussia? Chopped liver? They are literally twins at this point.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:59 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Didn't realize how nice Philly's suburbs were.

https://goo.gl/maps/WDv5CZLv3ZdRbX7r8
https://goo.gl/maps/WsEcNms2LbcLc88E7

I would probably pick Philly based on COL but would go with DC if prices were equal

Old 02-26-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post

I would probably pick Philly based on COL but would go with DC if prices were equal

I feel like many are not aware, because many of the multi million dollar homes (and there are tens of thousands) are desired to be hidden by landscaping and lots of trees with gates as entrances, so you cannot see them from the road for the most part.

I guess it is that Old Money and Quaker influence.

You really have to get to know the region to see it. But it is there. IMO this is exactly what makes them more quaint and feels as if you are in the English country/suburbs than modern American suburbs.

Take your pick, but I like the quaint and unique rather than the cookie cutter.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I feel like many are not aware, because many of the multi million dollar homes (and there are tens of thousands) are desired to be hidden by landscaping and lots of trees with gates as entrances, so you cannot see them from the road for the most part.

I guess it is that Old Money and Quaker influence.

You really have to get to know the region to see it. But it is there. IMO this is exactly what makes them more quaint and feels as if you are in the English country/suburbs than modern American suburbs.

Take your pick, but I like the quaint and unique rather than the cookie cutter.

reminds me of some of the NYC suburbs in Westchester but less less congested

Old 02-26-2021, 09:56 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:

DC has houses that are newer (which I prefer), and nicer, IMO. Philly is no slouch at all though.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
reminds me of some of the NYC suburbs in Westchester but less less congested
Yes. I think it has been established. That NYC, PHL and BOS are the Old Money "suburban capitals" of the nation. And those suburbs are most similar to each other.

Philadelphia has lots of Old Money still in its metro (top 3 after NYC and BOS). I think many are not aware of this either.

DC has more transient money or international money or new money. For the most part.

The Main Line is the epitome of Old Money. The whole WASP movement is considered to originate from the Philadelphia suburbs. Again The iconic film The Philadelphia Story tells you how iconic those Philadelphia suburbs are. But at the same time all that wealth is so humble.

As I have said, it has such a strong English flair. Which is unique and I just love personally. It is just very very UK, and this extends to the Main Line, West Chester/ Brandywine Valley and Bucks County (which is short for Buckinghamshire).

Many of the towns in the Philadelphia suburbs are named after English towns.

I will argue no suburbs in the US feel more like the UK than the Philadelphia on the Pennsylvania side of the suburbs. Both culturally and aesthetically. I mean you have everything from the Radnor Hunt Club to the Merion Cricket Club. And much more. All old English traditions with a strong Equestrian culture as well.

The Devon Horse Show and the Brandywine Polo Club are two prime examples of that.

There also is a strong Quaker influence to not show off and be flashy and why I think many outsiders do not realize how affluent the Philadelphia suburbs truly are.

DC burbs are much newer and modern and are again mostly New Money or International Money overall.

And yes, I do appreciate DC's modern TOD approach to suburban development. I actually wish Philadelphia would adapt TOD suburban modern development a bit more. Thankfully SEPTA has released a new transit plan with 15 minute commuter rail frequencies so I see it happening in the near future.

But for quaint historic and old money. It goes to PHL, NYC, BOS.

DC and Atlanta suburbs IMO are the two closest in resemblance.

Also I will say, Alexandria, VA and West Chester, PA are very similar. Both were established about the same time and have a similar look and have the same vibrancy and West Chester can most definitely hold its own to Alexandria.

West Chester, Pennsylvania is very nice. And WCPA, anchors the Brandywine Valley, not the Main Line.

The Brandywine Valley is a separate also affluent area not a part of the Main Line where the Dupont's and other extreme old money wealth exist in the Philadelphia suburbs. This area is the lower portions of Southeast Pennsylvania from West Chester, Pennsylvania to Greenville, Delaware.

Our current president resides there.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 02-26-2021 at 10:24 PM..

Old 02-26-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
DC has houses that are newer (which I prefer), and nicer, IMO. Philly is no slouch at all though.
DC has nice houses right in the city proper, which i think is what i want to judge on instead of the suburbs

Even though Philly has way more row homes, I prefer the styles in DC.

Woodley park has some incredible classy rowhomes

https://goo.gl/maps/sybvNqWGxx7e8T6T6

Old 02-27-2021, 02:49 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
DC has nice houses right in the city proper, which i think is what i want to judge on instead of the suburbs

Even though Philly has way more row homes, I prefer the styles in DC.

Woodley park has some incredible classy rowhomes

https://goo.gl/maps/sybvNqWGxx7e8T6T6
DC's rowhouses are meh; Philly Baltimore, and Boston have better. Their suburbs is where they shine.
Potomac, MD and NOVA has an Atlanta vibe to it that I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City