Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:45 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post
I feel like I'm uniquely qualified to answer this question. I'm not a southerner but my sales territory is the southeast...so I've had a wonderful opportunity over the last few years to travel the southeast EXTENSIVELY. So...here's my abbreviated list of gems and duds.

***Disclaimer*** This is obviously very subjective and based solely on MY experiences in these cities. It isn't my intent to offend by any stretch. I'm sure that all cities have awesome parts...I'm just basing my opinion on the experiences that I have had in each of these cities.

Overrated: Atlanta. I'm sorry...I know this will probably get me throttled on here but I just wasn't impressed with it. It's an average, run-of-the-mill, mid-large city. It has museums, pro sports, a fairly large skyline, and nice weather...it just didn't strike me as overtly remarkable. But...I'll be in Atlanta next week...So I'll maybe pay closer attention to it next time.

Overrated: Nashville. This could be a by-product of the people that hyped it up for me. I was told wonderous fables of the great night-life. I thought it was meh. A few colleagues took me to some bars downtown and then some restaurants where they live in Franklin and it was nice....but again....nothing that grabbed me as being really great.

Underrated: Asheville. The views and local scenery are absolutely stunning. The local food and breweries were all great. The Orange Peel is a great venue with awesome acoustics and the crowds were fun-loving and happy to be there. The city just had a great vibe.

Underrated: Williamsburg/Newport News. My initial ideas were as follows: history, old buildings, revolutionary war, battlefields...blah blah blah. Well, I was wrong. The areas around the northern section of Hampton Roads were beautiful. I had pretty bad conceptions of the history but Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown's battlefields were quite fun to check out. I had the opportunity to go sailing twice and we played golf at some great courses. I was very impressed with my trips there.

Underrated: Tallahassee. Food, people, bars, and the love of FSU football was fun and contagious. Great fun in Tallahassee.

Overrated: Orlando. The most magical place in the world? Nope.

Underrated: Jacksonville. Wonderful golf courses and beaches. The scenery was amazing and you're just a quick drive to St. Augustine which was a treat all by itself.

Underrated: Lafayette, LA. I had a hell of a time in Lafayette. I was driven by a friend to Breaux Bridge for a crawfish festival and it was awesome. We also hit a lot of local restaurants in the city itself and I literally had no bad meals there. On top of that...the bayous of southern LA were so unique and fun to experience.

Overrated: Richmond, VA. The Fan is a nice area because of the restaurants and museums but for the most part the city just seemed dirty and unsafe.

Underrated: Ok...give me some latitude on this one. I'm not sure if most people consider West Virginia in the South but I really like Charleston, WV. Literally the entire city is split on the Kanawha River and the Appalachian Mountains roll through the entire city creating a beautiful dynamic. There's not a ton to do in Charleston but the natural beauty is pretty impressive and they have a ton of outdoorsy type things to get into.

Uh,, NO to all of that...

Old 04-11-2014, 02:58 PM

110 posts, read 147,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Uh,, NO to all of that...
Note my disclaimer. I was underwhelmed by the cities above listed as overrated and overwhelmed by the cities listed underrated. Again...it's all subjective so implying a sweeping "No" doesn't do a lot. Are you saying you disagree with me having an opinion on each of these cities or are you saying you feel that the cities I've listed are contrary to the category I placed them in?

Old 04-11-2014, 03:04 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Don't get mad at me because your favorite city is built on drug money. #fact

And you're right, I was born and raised in Tallahasee and I left for Georgia for a reason. Furthermore, I've never regretted doing so.
I'm not mad, I'm just giving you a fair warning to stay out of Florida. I'm trying to be a friend by saving your life. You're the one who seems irked. Miami being built by drug money is common knowledge.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Atlanta is fabulous with or without your skewed opinion. Have fun riding the go-karts at Disney World until the wheels melt and you have a heat stroke.
Why you hating on his love for of Florida though? Why should an educated Black man/woman in Atlanta, care what he seems to think of Mickey Mouse land? You're too good for all of this. Wishing someone would have a Heat stroke? Very unbecoming for a classy, Black, Atlanta resident like yourself. But then again, you ARE originally from Florida. I guess those Florida hood genetics never leave a person. You can take the Man/Woman out of Florida, but you can't take the.........you know the rest.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Don't dare criticize Atlanta on the actual city forums. I'm virtually hated by 80% of the Atlanta forum community because of my criticism that Atlanta really lacks a big city feel for the most part.
It's the opposite on the Miami forums. Everyone in those forums knows Miami's a high-crime city, filled with drugs and poverty. It's part of Miami's notoriety.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:23 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I wanted to say the same thing but it would have led to going off topic so I just kept it to myself.
We've been off topic and I have my opinions and you have yours. I could care less if you think San Franciso is prettier.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
We've been off topic and I have my opinions and you have yours. I could care less if you think San Franciso is prettier.
Spade never said anything negative about Atlanta. I agree with him though, while I think Atlanta is a beautiful city, I think the Bay Area is unmatched in terms of combining a classic Urban set-up, and beautiful urban architecture, and natural beauty.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:35 PM

164 posts, read 282,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post
I feel like I'm uniquely qualified to answer this question. I'm not a southerner but my sales territory is the southeast...so I've had a wonderful opportunity over the last few years to travel the southeast EXTENSIVELY. So...here's my abbreviated list of gems and duds.

***Disclaimer*** This is obviously very subjective and based solely on MY experiences in these cities. It isn't my intent to offend by any stretch. I'm sure that all cities have awesome parts...I'm just basing my opinion on the experiences that I have had in each of these cities.

Overrated: Atlanta. I'm sorry...I know this will probably get me throttled on here but I just wasn't impressed with it. It's an average, run-of-the-mill, mid-large city. It has museums, pro sports, a fairly large skyline, and nice weather...it just didn't strike me as overtly remarkable. But...I'll be in Atlanta next week...So I'll maybe pay closer attention to it next time.

Overrated: Nashville. This could be a by-product of the people that hyped it up for me. I was told wonderous fables of the great night-life. I thought it was meh. A few colleagues took me to some bars downtown and then some restaurants where they live in Franklin and it was nice....but again....nothing that grabbed me as being really great.

Underrated: Asheville. The views and local scenery are absolutely stunning. The local food and breweries were all great. The Orange Peel is a great venue with awesome acoustics and the crowds were fun-loving and happy to be there. The city just had a great vibe.

Underrated: Williamsburg/Newport News. My initial ideas were as follows: history, old buildings, revolutionary war, battlefields...blah blah blah. Well, I was wrong. The areas around the northern section of Hampton Roads were beautiful. I had pretty bad conceptions of the history but Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown's battlefields were quite fun to check out. I had the opportunity to go sailing twice and we played golf at some great courses. I was very impressed with my trips there.

Underrated: Tallahassee. Food, people, bars, and the love of FSU football was fun and contagious. Great fun in Tallahassee.

Overrated: Orlando. The most magical place in the world? Nope.

Underrated: Jacksonville. Wonderful golf courses and beaches. The scenery was amazing and you're just a quick drive to St. Augustine which was a treat all by itself.

Underrated: Lafayette, LA. I had a hell of a time in Lafayette. I was driven by a friend to Breaux Bridge for a crawfish festival and it was awesome. We also hit a lot of local restaurants in the city itself and I literally had no bad meals there. On top of that...the bayous of southern LA were so unique and fun to experience.

Overrated: Richmond, VA. The Fan is a nice area because of the restaurants and museums but for the most part the city just seemed dirty and unsafe.

Underrated: Ok...give me some latitude on this one. I'm not sure if most people consider West Virginia in the South but I really like Charleston, WV. Literally the entire city is split on the Kanawha River and the Appalachian Mountains roll through the entire city creating a beautiful dynamic. There's not a ton to do in Charleston but the natural beauty is pretty impressive and they have a ton of outdoorsy type things to get into.

Lafayette folks come here and say: Thank you. The downside is Lafayette is too small, if it as big as Baton Rouge or Tallahassee, it may feel significantly better.

Agree with your thoughts about Nashville and Richmond.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm not mad, I'm just giving you a fair warning to stay out of Florida. I'm trying to be a friend by saving your life. You're the one who seems irked. Miami being built by drug money is common knowledge.
You're the one pissy. I agreed with your comment and you came slapping back "whatever" because I said there is no difference between 30k millionaires in Atlanta and 100k billionaires in Miami.

Now as far as being hood, you right. I takes a little bit of that sh*t with me everywhere I go in case I need to use it.

Now back to the stuff that really matters. Bitter queen coming for me in this thread over hurt feeling.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Spade never said anything negative about Atlanta. I agree with him though, while I think Atlanta is a beautiful city, I think the Bay Area is unmatched in terms of combining a classic Urban set-up, and beautiful urban architecture, and natural beauty.
Boy, bye! Addressing issues that ain't there. He said he wasn't going to say what Ant said and that was essentially that there are prettier MSA's than Atlanta.

When did I say that he said something negative?

Have a seat _/ <--- you look foolish doing too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City