Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:54 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
No, I said Tampa/Orlando is underrated. Both metro area touch and combined would be over 6-7 million people.

Charlotte is overrated - nascar culture, Deep South, black belt, horrible accents, landlocked, Bible Belt, unstable economy, low wages, zero natural beauty, etc. What is a there to like about the place?
More like 4-5 million. They are two medium sized cities 80 miles apart. There are loosely connected by suburban/rural sprawl along I-4 but hardly a continuous urban area. 7 million would be more like DC and Baltimore combined. The county that separates them (Polk County) is largely rural and largest city (Lakeland) is rather smallish and dominated by typical suburban strip mall trash. With all that said, I enjoyed my time in Florida but I definitely wouldn't call any part of that state underrated.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I've heard Athens, GA is highly underrated.
It is. Great city with an amazing downtown. Very walkable and urban. Plus UGA is right across Broad Street. Can't beat that!

Old 02-24-2014, 03:35 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Overrated: Miami
Underrated: Jacksonville
I agree with the Miami comment.Its not a great city but South Beach makes it stand out.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:42 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,106 times
Most over-rated: Hands down, landslide victory goes to Austin. That city has reached some weird mythical Unicorn status of cities. Can't figure out who pumps it up more, people who have never been, or Texans.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Most over-rated: Hands down, landslide victory goes to Austin. That city has reached some weird mythical Unicorn status of cities. Can't figure out who pumps it up more, people who have never been, or Texans.
It's not Texans. People from Texas have been trying to say this for years. I love Austin but it is definitely overhyped.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Overrated: New Orleans, easily. Get away from the tourist traps and it is a dirty, corrupt, dysfunctional place where nothing gets done, especially in the month before Mardi Gras. I really hate that so many died in Katrina, but the place was a disaster before the hurricane hit. The local government ignored the pages of carefully-developed emergency plans and did nothing, and people died as a result. While people want to point the finger at Bush (With some justification) after the fact, Ray Nagin literally ignored state and federal recommendations for evacuations five days before Katrina hit. What's more, the guy just was convicted in Federal court of 20 counts of corruption.

Underrated: Chattanooga. It used to be a grimy little industrial town, but it has remade itself quite well.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:17 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Overrated = Phoenix, Tucson, and possibly Atlanta. Maybe part of Miami too, but not bad. Phoenix and Tucson though - barf.

Underrated = Nashville and Charleston, SC.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:21 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Is this about sunbelt cities or Southern cities?

Old 02-24-2014, 04:22 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Overrated: New Orleans, easily. Get away from the tourist traps and it is a dirty, corrupt, dysfunctional place where nothing gets done, especially in the month before Mardi Gras. I really hate that so many died in Katrina, but the place was a disaster before the hurricane hit. The local government ignored the pages of carefully-developed emergency plans and did nothing, and people died as a result. While people want to point the finger at Bush (With some justification) after the fact, Ray Nagin literally ignored state and federal recommendations for evacuations five days before Katrina hit. What's more, the guy just was convicted in Federal court of 20 counts of corruption.

Underrated: Chattanooga. It used to be a grimy little industrial town, but it has remade itself quite well.
I was pretty disappointed with New Orleans as well. I was expecting much more when I visited, partly because a friend of mine who visited before me compared it favorably to Montreal. Well, since Montreal is one of my favorite cities, I had high hopes, but N.O. seemed overly touristy, I'm not a fan of Bourbon Street, and there's nothing very French about the French Quarter other than the street names.

I also agree about Chattanooga. That place is almost an outdoor paradise during nice weather (I particularly like that pedestrian bridge over the river), and the downtown area has a lot of charm.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:20 PM

89 posts, read 140,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No.Kentucky is DEFINITELY Southern.
Exactly! One of my friends who works in Kentucky works with a guy who is from Alabama who considers Kentucky to be not be apart of the South. Suffice to say, I thought it was the craziest thing I have ever heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City