Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 11:23 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

I don't understand how Richmond is overrated and I don't think Richmond ever tries to pass off as DC.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Richmond, Virginia is often overlooked. Its a pretty big city with a lot of historic, antebellum architecture as well as good nightlife and a relatively impressive skyline.

Miami and Fort Lauderdale are overrated. The traffic, drugs, crime, and illegal immigration are all out of control there yet the area is ridiculously expensive. Outside the beachfront areas, a lot of the region is also very run-down and impoverished with trash and graffiti everywhere. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale is my least favorite part of Florida. Orlando is alright.
Well, the area is expensive because it's one of the very, very, very few areas that has a tropical climate in the US. It's like a 1st world, tropical city. A true rarity. Yeah, there's plenty of crime, and drugs, in South Florida, but Richmond VA has had one of the highest crime-rates in the US, for a very long-time. Richmond VA is know for being a high-crime city.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:07 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,610 times
Most Overrated- Dallas. The downtown is a freakin' Ghostown after six and anything that's happening is spread out over the metro.

Underrated- New Orleans. Yes the GDP isn't on par with many US cities. But I honestly had a better time partying than most cities and enjoying the awesome cuisine.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:51 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
First of all, Austin isn't a Dixie city, neither is San Antonio.

I'm not sure at all how you think Atlanta wants to be LA, or Biloxi wanting to be Atlantic City, or any other of your ridiculous claims. It's clear to see you will bring fire to this thread.
I'll admit that it sounds odd hearing the term "Dixie" applied to Austin and San Antonio, but they are of southern parentage.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:44 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Although Austin and SA can be argued as Southern, I still think Dixie is too strong a word to describe Either. Dixie fits more with Biloxi, Birmingham, Mobile, Macon, Charleston, Savannah, Jackson. Austin/San Antonio and Dixie, don't mix. Sounds out of place. "I'm in Market Square San Antonio, in the heart of Dixie".

Old 03-24-2014, 05:17 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I agree with the Miami comment.Its not a great city but South Beach makes it stand out.
At least Miami is the most dense major city in the South with over 11,000 people per Square mile on average unlike "sprawlanta".

You have nothing comparable to Miami or South Beach.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
At least Miami is the most dense major city in the South with over 11,000 people per Square mile on average unlike "sprawlanta".

Since when is density the end all be all of a great city?

The city of Atlanta has more going on fo it than Miami.Why don't you talk about how Miami can't get a high tech industry with high paying jobs to save its life.

Or why the city of Atlanta is growing faster than the city of Miami by population growth?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

To be fair, Miami is barely 35 square miles....it's like taking 35 square miles of any city, then taking density of that. I mean, technically, this makes Miami almost as dense as Boston or Chicago, but if you compare the urban environment and urban cityscape of each city, it's clear which ones are more urban.

I'd take Downtown Atlanta's traditionally urban cityscape over Miami's anyday.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

I'd take Downtown Atlanta's traditionally urban cityscape over Miami's anyday.
This.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:08 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This.
I just find it kind of funny how when I see photos of Miami, I almost never see the streets of Downtown. It's always the skyline from the bay or an aerial. It just doesn't have that grittiness or compactness feel that Atlanta has.

Posters from Miami love to tout that 11k density number, but a good portion of that is all of those people living in the highrises that have setbacks at street level and do nothing for the pedestrians. It also helps that your municipal limits are barely 35 square miles so you are likely not have much land that's not in use like Atlanta. Trust me, visiting Miami quite a few times, it does not feel as dense as Chicago or Boston or more dense than Log Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City