Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 12:12 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

22 pages and not one person mentioned what I think is the most underrated and unknown large city in the united states.

Kansas City.

Yep, 22 pages pretty much proves it

//www.city-data.com/forum/kansa...ad-if-you.html

KC is not the most amazing place in the country, but it would surprise 99% of people that have never spent any time there. People just don't expect what KC is really like. Right off the bat, they figure out it's mostly in Missouri, it's not flat and it's very lush and green. That's even before they really see what the city even offers.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:19 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
22 pages and not one person mentioned what I think is the most underrated and unknown large city in the united states.

Kansas City.

Yep, 22 pages pretty much proves it

//www.city-data.com/forum/kansa...ad-if-you.html

KC is not the most amazing place in the country, but it would surprise 99% of people that have never spent any time there. People just don't expect what KC is really like. Right off the bat, they figure out it's mostly in Missouri, it's not flat and it's very lush and green. That's even before they really see what the city even offers.
Because this is about Southern cities and KC is a midwestern city.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
I'm sure the 22 pages of omission can be explained by the fact that Kansas City is and has never been in the South.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I'm sure the 22 pages of omission can be explained by the fact that Kansas City is and has never been in the South.
Lol. thanks See you get me all worked up in that other thread .

Is Louisville the south? If so, that's the city I would choose here.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:46 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Lol. thanks See you get me all worked up in that other thread .

Is Louisville the south? If so, that's the city I would choose here.
Apparently it's up for debate. There's a whole thread dedicated to Southern "border" towns.

I say Louisville is in the South. It's not Montgomery Southern....but it's Southern.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:11 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I just find it kind of funny how when I see photos of Miami, I almost never see the streets of Downtown. It's always the skyline from the bay or an aerial. It just doesn't have that grittiness or compactness feel that Atlanta has.

Posters from Miami love to tout that 11k density number, but a good portion of that is all of those people living in the highrises that have setbacks at street level and do nothing for the pedestrians. It also helps that your municipal limits are barely 35 square miles so you are likely not have much land that's not in use like Atlanta. Trust me, visiting Miami quite a few times, it does not feel as dense as Chicago or Boston or more dense than Log Angeles.
You still have Miami Beach, which Atlanta has no answer for, in terms of density and activity.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You still have Miami Beach, which Atlanta has no answer for, in terms of density and activity.
Miami Beach is a separate city. Ant is right in that downtown Miami aside from Brickell Avenue is pretty gloomy.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 503 FORBIDDEN View Post
Miami gloomy ? sounds like a different city that I lived in.
I lived there, too. Ick.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
And I'm talking about Miami city limits. Miami Beach isn't in that 35 square miles. He mentioned an 11k ppsm density number and I reacted to that.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:34 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I just find it kind of funny how when I see photos of Miami, I almost never see the streets of Downtown. It's always the skyline from the bay or an aerial. It just doesn't have that grittiness or compactness feel that Atlanta has.

Posters from Miami love to tout that 11k density number, but a good portion of that is all of those people living in the highrises that have setbacks at street level and do nothing for the pedestrians. It also helps that your municipal limits are barely 35 square miles so you are likely not have much land that's not in use like Atlanta. Trust me, visiting Miami quite a few times, it does not feel as dense as Chicago or Boston or more dense than Log Angeles.
This is where I say people overrate Miami's urbanity. People like to think it isn't like the rest of the South because of its density but in reality, it is. Miami is a car cultured city just like the rest of the South. Miami is nowhere near as urban as DC let alone Philadelphia or Chicago which are cities that have equal density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City