Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
Anyone who likes Charlotte has lost all credibility to me - poor taste in cities.
And anybody should care what you think because.....????You vastly overthink your importance of what you think of what people decide to do in their own lives.

You have got to be the rudest and most arrogant poster I have seen on here.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:21 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Don't really feel the need to vote on an over-rated city as that just gets folk's panties in a wad.

But I will throw out an under-rated city. Memphis. The fact that it is hasn't even been mentioned here or rarely gets mentioned at all in threads like this is proof enough. It certainly is a fixture in the rise of the country and the south. But it has diminished some in the age of sunbelt expansion. Most river cities have diminished over time... NOLA, Cincinnati, St. Louis...

Maybe a good discussion for another thread. River cities' demise.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,140 times
Quote:
I live in SF, you live in Atlanta. Therefore, I am better than you. Run along hun.....
I hope posters now see why not to respond to or even acknowledge this person in the future. This post elucidates how elementary he/she is...

Old 02-26-2014, 06:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Yeaaaaaah, after you said this, you pretty much lost all credibility. Orlando and Tampa definitely don't destroy Charlotte.
Lunatic / Therapist had no credibility to lose. he just tries to get a rise out of people.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:04 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the lunatic & a therapist View Post
i live in sf, you live in atlanta. Therefore, i am better than you. Run along hun.....
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Old 02-26-2014, 12:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What? You want an itemized list? You name it, I've been there. Downtown, French Quarter, Ninth Ward, Metairie, and the list goes on and on. I've been there dozens of times on business, for pleasure, and as a volunteer performing part cleanup after Katrina. And, no, Nagin was practically begged by both the state government and FEMA to issue evacuation orders days and days prior to landfall. He didn't and we saw what happened.

Oh, sure, there are some construction projects going on. But the pace of business in New Orleans is glacial in nature. And, at this time of year, it's almost impossible to get anything done.

But here's the thing. The entire point of this thread is cities that are overrated. In many ways, New Orleans is nice. A great place to spend a lazy weekend. But it really doesn't live up to its self-image.
Yes and Blanco was begged by Bush to do the same. She didn't. Hurricane's are normalcy here, we don't panic. New Orleans weathered Katrina fine, that's what happened.

Underrated city: Lafayette, LA

Old 02-26-2014, 12:15 PM

27 posts, read 31,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Overrated: Charlotte - just as sprawling as Atlanta without the culture and amenities. Bad traffic. Overpriced.

Underrated: Louisville - awesome architecture, great restaurants and bars, funky vibe, cheap.
I agree with the above. ATL > The CTL.

Lexington is also nice, and it is less polluted than Louisville.

Other than ATL, Texas, esp. Houston and Dallas, is one of the best places in terms of cost of living and job opportunities. Also, the traffic moves surprisingly fast in Texas, including big cities like Dallas and Huston, outside of Austin. Finally, the gyms in Texas are huge! They have plenty of weight for even the most advanced bodybuilders.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM

639 posts, read 820,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Overrated: New Orleans, easily. Get away from the tourist traps and it is a dirty, corrupt, dysfunctional place where nothing gets done, especially in the month before Mardi Gras. I really hate that so many died in Katrina, but the place was a disaster before the hurricane hit. The local government ignored the pages of carefully-developed emergency plans and did nothing, and people died as a result. While people want to point the finger at Bush (With some justification) after the fact, Ray Nagin literally ignored state and federal recommendations for evacuations five days before Katrina hit. What's more, the guy just was convicted in Federal court of 20 counts of corruption.

Underrated: Chattanooga. It used to be a grimy little industrial town, but it has remade itself quite well.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You watch to much TV but anyway New Orleans is MUCH MORE than the Touristy areas. Have you ever heard of Marigny, Magazine St., Broadmoor, Garden District, etc.... I'll give you credit New Orleans USED to be corrupt but every one involved in the corruption is either in jail or going to jail. Also Bush was partly to blame just like Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco enough lame could go around. Do you you know how long it took for people at Convention Center to get food and water? Bush is the blame for that. Ask yourself how long it would take if a natural disater happened in another country U.S. would be there the same day. FACT!!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuckinthesouth View Post
I was pretty disappointed with New Orleans as well. I was expecting much more when I visited, partly because a friend of mine who visited before me compared it favorably to Montreal. Well, since Montreal is one of my favorite cities, I had high hopes, but N.O. seemed overly touristy, I'm not a fan of Bourbon Street, and there's nothing very French about the French Quarter other than the street names.

I also agree about Chattanooga. That place is almost an outdoor paradise during nice weather (I particularly like that pedestrian bridge over the river), and the downtown area has a lot of charm.

Get away from all the touristy stuff for a little while GUARANTEE your opinion would change .

Old 02-26-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
New Orleans for "business trips"? Really? I'm always sent to cities known for doing business like Dallas, Chicago, NY, LA, London, etc....
I would understand what you said if we were talking OLD New Orleans but NEW New Orleans is up and coming. I don't blame your stereotyping us though becuase NOLA was on a decline because of 30 years of ANYTHING you can think of BAD. Things are changing and changing fast. Hope you enjoy this:

New Orleans ranks #8 on Forbes 2011 list of Best Cities for Technology Jobs | Silicon Bayou News

Forbes magazine ranks New Orleans high for attracting working age people | NOLA.com

Forbes ranks New Orleans third best for growth in information jobs | NOLA.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City