Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better foodie city LA vs San Francisco
LA 27 51.92%
San Francisco 25 48.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:51 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
We typically have a crew of 45-50 people, plus client and agency personnel, so we get 1-2 trucks per day. I've had meticulously crafted sushi rolls made for me in the middle of a Studio City suburban neighborhood. I've had BBQ beer-butt chicken with homemade sauce served to me in a West Covina parking lot. I've had delicious grilled shrimp salad served to me on a sidewalk in DTLA. I've had Thai-style tri-tip served to me in an alley in Santa Monica. I've had grilled salmon with dill sauce served to me at the perfect temperature up on Mulholland, where I couldn't even get cell service. All had ice cream, if I remember correctly.

The food trucks that service LA production crews are awesome.
Most food trucks service everyone, not just production crews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Most food trucks service everyone, not just production crews.
That's exactly what I said in post #29.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:21 AM

474 posts, read 530,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDramaTheatre View Post
LA for its food and wine. Angelenos order more French and Italian wine than San Franciscans. If only LA could improve Italian which is the only thing SF wins
I'd say SF also wins for Chinese, seafood, and high-end dining. SF has far better wine than LA, too. Where'd you get that Angelenos order more? We still have Napa, Sonoma, and Livermore you know

Old 02-27-2014, 10:31 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
I'd say SF also wins for Chinese, seafood, and high-end dining. SF has far better wine than LA, too. Where'd you get that Angelenos order more? We still have Napa, Sonoma, and Livermore you know

1. The San Gabriel Valley would like a word with you

2. Pretty sure we all get the same wine

Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
1. The San Gabriel Valley would like a word with you

2. Pretty sure we all get the same wine
Nah there is a lot of small release batches that never gets to stores, only select restaurants who have a deal with the vineyards buy most of it up or you have to go the vineyard itself. The same thing happens at microbreweries to an extent, but more so for wine.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,687 times
I don't know.... Both have plenty of great hole in the wall places and fine dining, lots of variety too. So really it's a tie, buy IF I had to pick I would choose San Francisco, only because I live in the Bay Area and I'm about 30 minutes away from it lol.

However what I love about restaurants in San Francisco is many of the outdoor ones. Nothing is better than sitting outside on a nice day over looking the city and bay from the hill, and enjoying a nice meal in the heart of the city.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:40 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I've also noticed just on this forum that LA and SF posters rarely bicker, which has been the opposite experience I've seen on other internet forums. Is it like that in real life as well?
No one bickers or fights about living in different cities. Especially not LA and San Fran because we're very far apart from each other. There is some city rivalry in sports though.

Also to the person you quoted, I don't see how San Francisco is an '' East Coast '' kind of city. It's obviously not on the East Coast, and it's very different in looks, vibes, and culture. There is nothing on the East Coasttthat is like the West Coast and vice versa.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:12 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
No one bickers or fights about living in different cities. Especially not LA and San Fran because we're very far apart from each other. There is some city rivalry in sports though.

Also to the person you quoted, I don't see how San Francisco is an '' East Coast '' kind of city. It's obviously not on the East Coast, and it's very different in looks, vibes, and culture. There is nothing on the East Coasttthat is like the West Coast and vice versa.

I meant "eastcoast" approved urbanity cause apparently there are strict Guidelines as what constitutes as urban.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:47 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDramaTheatre View Post
LA for its food and wine. Angelenos order more French and Italian wine than San Franciscans. If only LA could improve Italian which is the only thing SF wins
Them's fighting words . I suspect that SF thus orders more California wine, which makes sense. All told I think we each have lots of food strengths and a handful of food weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
I'm not so sure about Chinese or high-end dining. SF is great there, and probably better for cantonese food, but I wouldn't call it clear-cut on either of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Nah there is a lot of small release batches that never gets to stores, only select restaurants who have a deal with the vineyards buy most of it up or you have to go the vineyard itself. The same thing happens at microbreweries to an extent, but more so for wine.
For the most part I agree with jamills that we all get the same wine. It's true that vineyards sell a significant portion of their small releases to select restaurants, but those restaurants are not just in SF, but around the world. We do have the decided advantage, though, of being able to take a half a day to drive up to wine country, taste, and pick up some bottles--including limited releases (which can be shipped to L.A., too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I meant "eastcoast" approved urbanity cause apparently there are strict Guidelines as what constitutes as urban.
Also agreed, although I don't think it makes a lot of sense.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:56 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Them's fighting words
That was clearly the point of that post.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City