Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better foodie city LA vs San Francisco
LA 27 51.92%
San Francisco 25 48.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:57 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,904,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
The difference is, both KK and DD are specific brands that are or have been available here. Both are gawdawful, just wretched products by any objective measure. For all the decades of crap thrown from the east about pizza to be found in CA, most of that is entirely unfounded generalization about every pizza house to be found on the West Coast. We have first hand experience with your donuts and are left to process the regret.

Our pizza is far better than your dounts.
Hate to break it to you East Coasters - we get a lot of transplants from your neck of the woods. A few of them know how to make a pizza, and they didn't forget on the plane trip out here. There are quite a few NYC-style pizza places in my old neighborhood alone - Village Pizza on Yucca and Joe's Pizza on Hollywood Blvd (Village is much better).

Pizza in LA is not amazing, but it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Though I think in general the best LA pizza skips the NYC tradition and goes straight to Italy. Pizzeria Mozza is one place that has received tons of praise (never been, lines are way too long):

Pizzeria Mozza Just About as Good As You've Heard | Slice Pizza Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:59 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,904,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Dunkin Donuts is crap. It's like McDonalds or Jack-in-the-Box. No one claims that DD is good, East Coast, West Coast, or anywhere.

One thing I never got since moving to the West Coast, though, is In-n-Out. It's perfectly fine, but it's a freakin fast-food burger. Not really anything special. Yeah, compared to Burger King it's good, but I have had a billion better burgers than In-n-Out. Growing chains like Unami, Shake Shack, the Counter, heck, even Five Guys, destroy In-n-Out.
Yeah I have to agree with you. In and Out is great, and my favorite "fast food" burger, but nothing compared to the casual-dining upstarts you mentioned. Never had Five Guys though. Biggest difference is that you will pay around 10 bucks for 2 people to get fries, burgers and drinks at In and Out, while 10 bucks just gets you a burger and maybe fries at the other places.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,581,714 times
I didn't get the in-n-out hype living in CA either, there were probably 50 other places I'd rather get a burger. If I do a burger it's usually more of a large restaurant style burger. Really though, burgers are pretty simple. Just get some good meat, season well and throw it on a small weber grill will beat 90% of burgers eating out. Something like good pho or a pastrami sandwich, or event decent long smoked bbq, that took quite a bit of time to prepare

Old 02-28-2014, 04:07 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,203,363 times
IN-n-Out has great quality for the value. It's cheaper than Umami, Five Guys, etc.. and you still get a good quality burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City