Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 PM

6,702 posts, read 9,958,205 times

Advertisements

Uptown - Dallas, TX - Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 05:43 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,942,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It abuts midtown, but Midtown official boundaries don't include Ansley.
Piedmont Park is in Midtown, and Ansley Park is WEST of Piedmont.

Ansley Park is in Midtown.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,702,994 times
Yes but, the trouble with that ^^^ @ 8:43 is that Piedmont Park also is on the east /southeast edge of Morningside, as in the sections of the park next to Monroe Drive @ Park Drive & going north from there.
And Ansley Park is basically more northwest than just west of Piedmont Avenue.
Honestly, I've lived here for 35 years and never considered Ansley Park to be a part of Midtown. It's so distinctly different & separate onto itself, particularly with how the neighborhood has gotten the city to change intersections &/or close access into the neighborhood via several streets. Added to that, is the fact that the geography of Ansley lends itself to being separate, not only from Midtown but every other bordering neighborhood. The geographical separation has been further heightened by the way the roads were originally laid out.
Ansley wants to be it's own enclave & as part of that mindset, which I'm not criticizing by the way, they have their own separate neighborhood organizations, tour of homes, etc.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,144,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Piedmont Park is in Midtown, and Ansley Park is WEST of Piedmont.

Ansley Park is in Midtown.
No, it's not. Ansley park is north of Piedmont Park.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...8c894c30b9bbe2

You can see the boundaries there. I know what I'm talking about.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:13 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,441,768 times
Bet you didn't know both R. Kelly and Usher dated the quintessential girl from Midtown. She lived on Peachtree and 17th street, loves Waffle House, graduated from Georgia Tech and works at TBS. And there's a reason you might say she's two times a lady. Ha HA.

R. Kelly duet with Usher - Same Girl - YouTube

But seriously. I love Midtown. Can't wait for it to grow up. It will be quiet the urban center once it fully matures.

Video filmed in Midtown with a beautiful condo view at 2:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tuSqN4pNF4

Last edited by Galounger; 03-06-2014 at 09:26 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,311,493 times
Quote:
It abuts midtown, but Midtown official boundaries don't include Ansley.
It is very much Midtown. sorry.

I'm sure some would claim that it's not midtown because it's not urban but they would use the population numbers to increase the population for midtown. It is very much midtown just as much as the area between Juniper and Monroe is.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's correct. Atlantic Station was planned with a streetcar route linking it to Midtown/Arts Center Station via 17th street. Unfortunately, construction began right at the height of the recession of 2001-02 and the line was scrapped. As of last week though, the streetcar route is back on the books and will be built in the next few years along with a another line along the Beltline.
Very good to hear. I hope they are able to build out the vision. I still don't really think West Village and Atlantic Station are exactly the same thing since Atlantic Station isn't built into the core fabric of the city. It feels isolated.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,774,078 times
Right now, Uptown Dallas by quite a long way. Its is smaller, denser, has much more street front retail, and is across the board more lively than Midtown Atlanta or Uptown Houston, which are much bigger areas and have large stretches of suburban style strip mall development. The Klyde -Warren Park links Uptown Dallas to downtown in a much more walkable, organic way than anything in Atlanta or Houston. Uptown Dallas also flows into Oaklawn Dallas, the gayish neighborhood to the north in Dallas which is fairly pedestrian friendly and would probably be a fairer comparison to Uptown Houston or Midtown Atlanta, in that it is like the latter two further from the CBD, and while vibrant is a little more suburban in character. I am not fan of the ersatz, 30K millionaire feel of uptown Dallas, but in terms of urbanity, it is quite a bit further along than Midtown Atlanta or Uptown Houston. Potential? Who knows, but I suspect it would take at least twenty years and a lot of public/private infrastructural investment for either midtown Atlanta or uptown Houston to catch up to uptown Dallas.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Except Ansley Park isn't Midtown. That's it's own neighborhood so why are we even discussing that?

Midtown ATL has an 86 walkscore: Midtown Atlanta Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Walk Score

Oaklawn or what we call Uptown Dallas has a walkscore of 76: Oak Lawn Dallas Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Walk Score

It's very clear which district is more walkable. How about showing some pictures like I did?
Hmm that's odd that they don't separate Uptown from Oak Lawn. Which is definitely why the walk score is lower as Oak Lawn while walkable is less pedestrian friendly than Uptown (I typed in my zip code in Oak Lawn 75219 and got a walk score of 80). And the sidewalks along McKinney Avenue can be narrow in places because of the restaurant and bar patios that line the street. So i'm sure that hurts it's score a little too. Uptown is still viewed as the most vibrant area of the city whether it's the most walkable or not. McKinney Avenue really should be closed off to thru traffic on weekend nights. It is just a mess of taxis and people in the streets and the poor trolleys can't even get through.

Uptown congestion may force McKinney Avenue Trolley to trim late-night service
http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2...-service.html/

It does appear that the 2nd most walkable area in Atlanta - Midtown is being compared with the 5th in Dallas. So I guess it's not exactly an equal comparison, but like I mentioned you will see the same types of developments in both districts in each city. Midtown also contains a lot of Atlanta's tallest buildings and essentially functions as an extension of it's downtown as downtown is really not that large of an area.

Dallas is just laid out a little differently. With Midtown being the 2nd most walkable area of Atlanta it has a walk score of 86. The top 3 areas of Dallas have a score of at least 90.

Last edited by R1070; 03-06-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 10:29 PM

92 posts, read 162,603 times
Quote:
Except Ansley Park isn't Midtown. That's it's own neighborhood so why are we even discussing that?

Midtown ATL has an 86 walkscore: Midtown Atlanta Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Walk Score

Oaklawn or what we call Uptown Dallas has a walkscore of 76: Oak Lawn Dallas Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Walk Score

It's very clear which district is more walkable. How about showing some pictures like I did?
McKinney Avenue, Dallas TX - Walk Score

Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City